iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leatherman© tools

Started by isawlogs, March 25, 2012, 11:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

I still have my original Leatherman from about 20 years ago, but don't carry it any more because I don't like the way that the handle cuts into my palms when I'm using the pliers.

About 10 years ago I replaced it with a SOG multi tool, and have been very pleased with it.  SOG has done warranty work on it twice so far - no charge whatsoever. 

I just wish that I could find a belt sheath that was as durable as the tool.  I"m probably on my 6th or 7th sheath between these two tools.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raider Bill

Actually I misspoke. Mine is a SOG not leather-man. I don't remember the model of the one that failed but they replace it with a upgraded one, a hat and bumper sticker.
Either way both are top shelf tools.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Corley5

I broke the tip off a Kick's small screwdriver trying to take out a #2 square drive screw yesterday.  I've got another one around that's broken and one that the knife blade got shorted out on a battery cable.  Burned some deep notches in it  ;D  Guess I should round them up and send them in for repair.
  I bought four Wingmans at Home Depot just before Christmas.  They had a super deal on them.  Got one for Zach, one for myself and extras for when I lose them.  I like the spring loaded pliers and the locking knife blade that opens without opening the whole tool but I don't like the serrated blade and the scissors are useless to me as is the file/rasp thing.  They just add extra weight.  I still prefer the Kick but for the price I couldn't pass them up.  Zach loves his  8) 8) 8) 8)
  I've got one of the chainsaw multi tools too.  I carried it one day and now it lives in the truck.  It's a neat/handy tool but I find it too heavy.  I'd rather just carry a saw wrench  :) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DeerMeadowFarm

What would be really cool is if they gave you a custom order option; pick the tools you want on it...so many tools for some set price or so much per tool, because let's face it: these things are like Swiss Army knives where you have some of the tools you realy need on one, but some other model has one or two tools on it that you'd like, and all models have some tools on it that never seem to be needed.

SwampDonkey

You guys are too high tech. ;D

All you need is a block of wood and some steel rod. Instead of paying someone $25 make it for $1. :D

a heddle hook

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bogue Chitto

Raider Bill

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 13, 2012, 02:55:02 PM
You guys are too high tech. ;D

All you need is a block of wood and some steel rod. Instead of paying someone $25 make it for $1. :D

a heddle hook

Doesn't look anything like my multitool or anyone I've ever seen?
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

SwampDonkey

Nope, but could be multi-use. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Ya well I guess one could scratch his, his b---'s, well ya know .. the back of his ears ...  ::)  That is not quite what I have a vision of when I think of multy tool.  :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Magicman

You pull a heddle hook out of your jeans around here and you are going to jail.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on April 13, 2012, 10:12:44 PM
You pull a heddle hook out of your jeans around here and you are going to jail.

I'm not gonna touch this one Danny!   smiley_ignore
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

isawlogs

I am almost afraid to ask.... almost  ;D  what the hell is a heddle hook? And what's one do with it in his jeans?   ::) ???

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Well let me put this way.. ;D

It's a tool with a notch near the end of it and an upright bend about 1/3 of the way in from the end. It is used in weaving (possibly denim) to draw the warp threads through the heddle eyes using that notch. The curve along with that notch, along with some tension on the thread from your other hand, to help secure the thread on the heddle hook as you pull it through so it won't slip off.

The vertical strings on the wooden frames are the heddles.

Closer view of a heddle eye, through which those threads have to pass. Thus the heddle hook was born. ;)

Makes a good back scratcher to. ;D

A discussion on making denim. ;D

Magicman

Heddle hook  LINK.

Anything like that would just be another excuse for a weapon in some neighborhoods.    :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on April 25, 2012, 05:04:51 PM
Heddle hook  LINK.

Anything like that would just be another excuse for a weapon in some neighborhoods.    :-\

Could also be construed as burger tools depending on intent although I just don't see Swamp Donkey as a second story man ;D

SwampDonkey

They have that tool mislabled. It is actually a reed hook on that website. One of many styles. Mine is a simply a flat piece of maple about 3/32" thick with a notch at one end. Some are plastic instead. ;D A reed is much taller than a heddle eye. And with several harnesses, 4 or more, that tool isn't even long enough for heddles because some times you have to be able thread on harness one which is the back harness, by going through 4,3 and 2 to get to it. Just think if there were 8, 16 or 24 harnesses. ;)

Here's mine again. I only use 8 harnesses. On the throw, I only used 4.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Raider Bill on April 25, 2012, 06:03:38 PM
Could also be construed as burger tools

The only "burger" tools I use are a spatula....  ;) :D

Raider Bill

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on April 26, 2012, 10:10:09 AM
Quote from: Raider Bill on April 25, 2012, 06:03:38 PM
Could also be construed as burger tools

The only "burger" tools I use are a spatula....  ;) :D

:D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Also, a knife for the onion and an applicator for the ketchup and for the mustard. ;D

metalspinner

I got hooked into a movie last night on TV.  It is called "127 Hours." 

Ya'll remember the news story a couple years back about the hiker that got his arm pinned by a rock and ended up performing an amputation to free himself.  This movie was his story. The reason I brought it up here is because in the course of the movie, he was complaining about the cheap Chinese knockoff multi-tool he carried with him. The thing is, he worked at a hiking outfitter shop.  He probably had an employee discount to make a real Leatherman more affordable. ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

gspren

Last evening I used my Leatherman Wave's scissors to remove about a dozen stiches from my dog Ginger's ear. That Leatherman has done a lot!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Magicman

It's good to hear the Ginger is recovering.  Love my Leatherman.   smiley_thumbsup

By the way, where are you now?   ;D

gspren

Quote from: Magicman on August 30, 2013, 04:40:25 PM
It's good to hear the Ginger is recovering.  Love my Leatherman.   smiley_thumbsup

By the way, where are you now?   ;D
Las Vegas! When we hit Nevada we can now claim to have been in every State, that's Kay and I, Ginger only has 38 states under her paws.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

Now you can be like Magicman and pat. They have been in every state too. I missed you all when you came to Maine.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!