iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Over tensioned bands

Started by bandmiller2, April 13, 2012, 09:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

I think most folks tend to overtension their bands.My old homebuilt bandsaw has never broken a band and thats on 19" belted wheels.I built it before I knew about this forum and have no down pressure on the guide rollers.It cuts so well I don't mess with it.I have a spring within a spring for tension and don't think their heavy enough to overtension.When I operated the LT-70 we snapped bands with great regularity,due believe it was due to keeping them too tight.Its only natural to twist-em tighter when the band starts to wonder but I think its set or sharpness that causes that not lack of tension.Your thoughts. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Adding tension to try to compensate for a dull band is a fools folly.  Dull bands need only one thing, sharpening.  I would say that the rearward force against the dull band would cause more stress within the band than tension.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You may be right Bandmiller. When I first started sawing, I would add PSI to my blades when the PSI dropped.
Well.....in a little while, it would break. This only happened on blades I have had sharpened many times.

A blade can only be sharpened so many times. I mark my blades and know which ones have been sharpened the most. If I have a blade that has been sharpened a lot, sooner or later the PSI will drop.....I WILL NOT TIGHTEN UP AT THAT POINT. As long as it is producing good lumber, I let the stretch in the blade dictate it's own PSI as long as it does not drop below 1800psi. I have sawed a bunch of lumber at 1800psi, know if I bring it back up to 2500psi, it will break.

I have learned if I keep an eye on my psi gauge, it can be my best friend. But let's not forget, what type of wood you saw, the width you are sawing and the speed you are sawing, are all very important on longevity of your blade.

But the bottom line is.....what ever method I use in communicating with my blade: I have to be sawing quality lumber.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!