The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Climate Change  (Read 743 times)

Offline terry f

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Climate Change
« on: April 15, 2012, 12:30:44 AM »
       For those who believe in climate change or global warming, is their anything you are doing or changeing in your practices, like going to more drought tolerent trees when you replant. I'm favoring the ponderosa pine and western larch when I thin, but I'm in a dry area already. We have a drought every few years, so I think most of the trees I have should be able to take any changes to come. Tonich posted a good video a few days ago that had some interesting ways of keeping water in the ground, that made sense to me. Water will be the key.

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Exiled from Sawdust Land--plotting a return
    • Share Post
Re: Climate Change
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 01:39:12 AM »
If there is serious climate change, I tend to think rainfall will be rather unpredictable. The sun will still be shining, there will still be oceans, and the sun will still evaporate water and the clouds will still go somewhere around the earth and release the water in them when the conditions present themselves. Unless the sun stops shining, it can't help but evaporate water, and sooner or later that water must condense and fall to the surface. Local weather patterns could very well change drastically, but if the global climate is experiencing that degree of upheaval, then I don't think we will be at all able to predict what places will become drier and which will become wetter. I suspect the parts of the world that are currently the driest will tend to remain among the driest places, and the places that tend to be wettest will tend to remain among the wettest. the biggest factors that could effect change are a significant change in the proportion of land area to sea area (also involving the level of the ocean rising or falling) and changes in the sun itself. Tremendous amounts of particulate matter in the atmosphere can also make big changes-- like if there were multiple volcanos around the world at the same time, or if all the coal in the world were burned in a single year, or something like that.

I definitely believe there will be some massive global climate changes occurring in the future, but if we got into WHY I believe that, this thread would be unceremoniously moved to the restricted topics forum. I am guessing that if anyone tries to say why they do or don't believe in global climate change, this thread could get moved there too.
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Reduced to Uber Driver and a broken MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Climate change

Started by flatrock on Ask The Forester

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2007, 12:39:55 AM
by SPIKER
xx
Climate change

Started by jim king on General Board

5 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 03:42:10 AM
by SwampDonkey