iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pictures of Solar Kilns

Started by vfauto, April 22, 2012, 09:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

8) I know there are a lot of Solar Kilm posts out there but I was wondering if we could start one that you all could just post your pictures (with minimum text) of your solar Kilm? All the other post have a lot of comments and I would like to get all pictures in one post to compare and decide what type to build. The other advantage would be to combind different ideas from different Kilms.

Thanks Frank
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Planman1954

I guess someone has to be first. Here's mine:

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

pineywoods

Here's mine. Planman's is an up-dated model of it.

Rough drawing..

There's a small room de-humidifier inside...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bill Gaiche

vfauto

Hi all, it would be nice to see the inside of your Kilms if possible.

Thanks Frank
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Bill Gaiche

You asked for it. bg

vfauto

Nice pics, what are the two silver things at the ceiling?

Stephen1

Nice pics guys. How well will they work north of the 49th.?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Jeff

In MA, is "Kiln"  pronounced "Kilm"?  after spending a couple weeks in the south, I saw several different pronunciations that differed to what I am accustomed to and wondered if this is a north east regional thing.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bill Gaiche

In the celing. 2 each 14" gable fans. 120v. bg

beenthere

The spelling is "kiln", but the pronunciation is/may be different.
Like "elm" is pronounced "ellum" some places, some people.

My good sawmill friend (may he RIP) enjoyed putting a twist on certain words, such as "acorns" pronounced "acerns", twelfths pronounced twelps.

I think Bibby enjoys doing that too.  ;D

And in the south....who knows what they are saying  ::) ::)   ;D ;D ;D

Then I worked with a crew from Harvard, and they had a language pronunciation all their own too.

All is fair......ILAW
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Weekend_Sawyer

This is a thread that I will wach with intrest.

Anyone ever use their kiln as a greenhouse in the spring?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

reride82

I've wondered the same thing Jon. Maybe make it so the black panels that collect the heat swing partially out of the way to allow sun into the kiln/greenhouse but also allow the black panels to still build some heat. maybe hinge it at the top with a pulley at the front/bottom to pull it back up for the kiln or to let it down for use as a greenhouse.
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Planman1954

Or you could just build a greenhouse!
Which is what I plan to do one day. I'll take pics and show progress. I've done a lot of looking and reading (books and internet) and thinks I'll do a passive solar one. It'll have a lot of concrete mass and water as heat sinks. Like on the kiln doors I built above...I'll let you know if it works!  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

grweldon

Quote from: Jeff on April 24, 2012, 11:38:44 AM
In MA, is "Kiln"  pronounced "Kilm"?  after spending a couple weeks in the south, I saw several different pronunciations that differed to what I am accustomed to and wondered if this is a north east regional thing.

The word is correctly pronounced with a silent N as in "kill".  Pronouncing the N is also acceptable.  I was taught this when I was educated in Michigan, and dictionary.com backs that up.  Now that I live in Alabama, it's still the same!  English is English.  Proper grammer is regionally independent!  Yeah, I do know how to say "y'all".... Slang, on the otherhand IS regionally dependent!  ;)
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

250quality

Mine is up and running now. Just need to figure out what to use for a T-Stat.
I used an old furnace and some ductwork to move the air as one fan is better than four on the hydro bill.
Someone said an Aqua-Stat from a boiler would work as the temp gets up to 160 in there and a household stat wont cut it.
Any ideas?
Thanks

vfauto

Quote from: 250quality on July 15, 2012, 10:02:15 AM
I used an old furnace and some ductwork to move the air as one fan is better than four on the hydro bill.
Someone said an Aqua-Stat from a boiler would work as the temp gets up to 160 in there and a household stat wont cut it.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Do you have any pictures you could post ?

bama20a

Quote from: 250quality on July 15, 2012, 10:02:15 AM
Any ideas?
Thanks
I'm not a pro by any means,But I've often wondered Why a bi=metal thermo- like the ones on cloths dryers won't work? The cut - out temp is stamped on the flange of them, would be easy to install & simple to wire up. Mark,,,,,,,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

250quality

That's a good start to my problem. Now to try to get some pictures from my gallery to here.

250quality

250quality

Finally found a way to post some pics. More to come.

sawmillhand

250   great looking kiln   what is the tarp used for i am new to the drying part. also how much cfm does that cage fan put out also are you able to maintain a steady temp?  i know its a lot of questions but getting my feet wet on the kiln drying.
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Carlton

Someone asked about using a kiln as a greenhouse. I would not recommend using the kiln itself as a greenhouse but you could build a greenhouse next to the kiln and pump the warm moist air vented from the kiln directly into a greenhouse to help provide heat during the daylight hours on cold days. The plants would love the warm humid air and it would reduce the heating cost of your greenhouse.

drobertson

Nice photos on the kilns, would anyone show some close up shots of the hinges on the doors? I would just like to see for myself what works.  thanks, david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Tree Feller

Here's mine with a charge of Walnut, the first wood I dried in it. The kiln is small, sized for 300 bf in 10 ft. lengths. I put the access door on the front and hinged it on the bottom to make it front loading. The roof rests on swing-up props when loading/unloading lumber. There are four adjustable vents in the rear, two upper and two lower. You can see the upper vents just above the fan plenum.

It's worked well drying wood for my woodworking hobby. I unloaded a charge of Post Oak yesterday that was at a prretty even 6% MC, even on the inside ( I ripped a board in two and checked the newly exposed long grain).

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!