The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: "Homeowner", "Landowner", 'Other' of the Chainsaw World  (Read 6210 times)

Offline Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Another "traveling man"
    • Share Post
Re: "Homeowner", "Landowner", 'Other' of the Chainsaw World
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 10:27:01 PM »
Al I have a promac 10-10 with a bow that is only on its second chain in its whole life. Bought new in 77 or 78 and has been a real pain in the rear to start once hot. When running I love it. It's been several years since I've even pulled it off the shelf. I would like to know what "tuned" would be like on that old jewel.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Offline tcsmpsi

• In Memoriam
  • Time is relevant, only because it exists.
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Shop/MPSI
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 01:04:04 PM »

That is some sage quote there!! :)  Truer words I have not heard spoken!  To beat the proverbial expired equiine, Maybe tcsmpsi would do well to find a 10-10E, fashion a new battery pack for it, and then he will not have to pull start his saw again, unless of course, the electric start fails ;)

Nah...all my pull rope engines rarely take as many as 3 pulls to get them started, cold or hot....but, no 2 of them have the same methods.   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Offline lumberjack48

• Senior Member x2
  • 36 yrs ago, cutting Ash saw logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 03:23:22 PM »
I had a couple saws that stated hard cold, I'd put a little gas in the muffler, 1 pull off an running.

I've seen guys pull on a saw until they broke the rope, what sense does that make.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Offline Knute

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 10:51:07 PM »
I have a 1988 Poulan 4000 which I have cut 6 cords of firewood per year and about 50,000 BF of oak sawlogs. Still runs great. Also have a 1998 Poulan 380. It's an ok saw, but not near the power of the 4000. Can still find the 4000 on ebay once in awhile.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 11:29:45 PM »
FWIW all the 10-series McCullochs' will start hard if ran hard and still hot ..The trick is hold down the throttle and drop start  them .Excepting of course a large ones like an 850 or Sp 81 with a long bar .That's a tad bit on the danger side .

Also while on the subject all Macs like to run just a tad bit in the rich side .Richer than most modern saws .When they get hot they can't take all that gas unless you open up the throttle to got some air in there when you start them

I cut my teeth so to speak on 10 series Macs and can peal one down to the bones in twenty minutes except the 81 cc models which take a little longer .

Offline stumper

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 07:40:05 AM »
To get back to your original question. 

I am a proponent of to saws.  A primary and a back up.  I use the primary most of the time and the back up enough to keep it active.  When my primary gets half worn out, it become my back up and a use my back up as my primary till it is worn out, then I replace it.  I keep thing rotated that way and lessens the blow to my wallet as I do not need to buy two saws at once.

I would suggest looking at a a pro grade saw in the size you like.  Yes you pay more for it but they last longer and are rebuildable so they pay off.  I would expect that would give you a saw that would last 10 years or more with a rebuild. 

If on the other hand you do not think you would use the saw enough to wear it out and rebuild it in a reasonable time.  Go with the lesser grade saw use it up and when it is getting tired put it on the reserve list and buy another.   Rotate them out as described above and you should be fine.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter