iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I'll try that, I do sell some 16'. But the 8' 10' 12' are piling up. All in good shape and under a roof.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

In the fall people use strapping to hold up poly on their porches and carports .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Glue or nail em together and sell as 2x4s  ;D
Boy, back in my day..

bkaimwood

1x4's sure not a hot seller here either...I don't even want to stack them anywhere, they take up too much space and will be there FOREVER... Banding and selling for pallets seems like the time spent isn't worth the $$$, or maybe close to a washout. When I end up with things close to 4", I do one of 3 things... Make a sticker and a 1x3, or make a 1x2, and throw them in the batten pile. I saw lots of b and b siding, so I know it will get used or sold then, and you can never have too many stickers it seems.
On another note, I hope it's OK I ask this in this thread, seems relative to some recent posts and comments, and goes to my EWP shortage as discussed, especially now and heading into the real busy season. I may have finally hooked up with a reliable, quality pine source. I have been paying .25 a bf give or take. This fella says he has a good, steady supply, and says the logs are all truly STUNNERS... BIG, Straight, top notch!! His price quote is around .38 a bf. Yup, I know it's high, but given my situation, I think I have to consider it a would appreciate and value your input. I hate to try to haggle with the guy, for obvious reasons... We talk about having to pay the premium to get in the door, get what you need, and so on... I'm thinking I just roll with it, with this plan. Offset second and third logs figuring them at .25 on my end, saw for all my siding and related orders, keeping my same price there...I can't raise that price any more, I'm a hair high now, but selling product OK...then upgrade all first logs to .50, and try to market the higher grade stuff accordingly, to offset my costs...this is simple and common business, sounds like a no brainer, but believe it or not, I have no demand for clear stuff... Everyone wants character knotty pine. I can't afford to cut .35 cents a bf stunners into siding...the other thing is I can move some big slabs, so saw many of them for wide 8/4, live edge slabs, and such...this stuff moves slow, but moves, and when the guy that wants it comes along, it sells easily, just slower. So what do you guys think?
bk

4x4American

Some of the mills around here are paying $400/mbf for slammer pine.  There's a mill in Carthage NY paying $450/mbf for premium pine, I thought that was crazy high...

Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Start with what you can get for the lumber, then subtracts the sawing, sticking and profit, And see what's left. That's is price you can pay. In NH for reg stuff like 2x4 and grade #2   W pine I can make 2 to 3 times what I pay for the log. Then the money for the chips and sawdust.
It's all in the marketing. :D :D :D :D That's what I have to do with the 1x4s
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

I'm running some number myself while riding out this thundershower...wondering what you figure for sawing and sticking?  Does $200/mbf sound about right?
Boy, back in my day..

bkaimwood

4x4...I figure minimum .25c to saw, .25c to dust boards (which I do, every one) and sticker them...so I figure minimum .50 cents a bf before adding log cost... If I was not old, and working solo most of the time, I could likely reduce that number significantly. Paying a kid or two 10 bucks an hour to do the latter would cut it down. By the way, these numbers factor in acceptable profit for me, and are used only as a guideline. So if I added pine log cost as previously mentioned into that, it'd be .90 a bf, with no profit on the logs...that's the part I'm sorting out.. I'd like to hear what others have to say, for all our benefit...
Pete...your doing good, as you should be, a seasoned veteran IMO...3 and 4 times profit is great...
bk

Remle

Quote from: 4x4American on March 15, 2016, 08:17:01 PM
Glue or nail em together and sell as 2x4s  ;D
I would have cut them as 2X4 to begin with.. I do not cut anything in 4/4 less than 1X6 and as long as the log will allow. I never cut a 17' log into to, to saw 8' stock unless their is a bad crook to deal with. Sawing as a whole saves time turning each 8'piece individually. I can cut down to length's needed as needed. Since I haven't been able to find a board stretcher it works for me to leave'm long.. :D :D

Peter Drouin

The 1x4 are W Pine, All the 1" here is W Pine old school, All 2" and bigger are Hemlock. I don't cut pine into 2by and bigger unless that's what the customer wants. I get some calls from timber framers for W Pine frames.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

The place is drying out too.

Had a customer brought in some Ash, wants 5"x5" and 1" the junk one will be 2" slabs

And I got a window for the dormer, now I can get it done. 8)

A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

thechknhwk

Wow, ash with tight bark, haven't seen that since maybe ever...

bkaimwood

bk

Peter Drouin

It will let sunlight in the back room,
A&P saw Mill LLC.

bkaimwood

Well, I ordered a full load of slammers... Guess we'll see how it works out... Cautiously optimistic...
bk

Peter Drouin

You want logs not slammers. :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

bkaimwood

Slammers are nice to have around the mill on a hot day when there's no logs to saw...:)
bk

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Did your logs come in bkaimwood?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

bkaimwood

Not yet, Peter... Guy said 2-3 weeks, so I'm hoping to be sawing them within 2 weeks...if I don't hear anything within a week, I will surely be getting nervous. Met with another logger over the weekend... He didn't have a full truck on hand but prolly had a few thousand bf on hand...not slammers, but some decent stuff, with a lower price that reflected it. I'm hoping he'll have something together within a week. I'm now all out of EWP... Just took a small order for some maple, and a large order of white oak...all the maple in in stock, half the oak in stock, the rest easy to get. So plenty to do in the meantime. Sawed some tamarack slabs for a retail store Friday, and the last of my hemlock for a b and b order...had 2 hemlocks left over, about 325bf, so sawed a pile of 1x12x12 and 1x8x12, for inventory... Sold the whole pile yesterday. Things are cookin' for the army of one...I'm pleased. Got 3 portable jobs on the books, and 4 more quotes out.
Was wondering what happened to you lately, Peter? Did you go on vacation?? :)
bk

Peter Drouin

No vacation, Just cutting orders. And looking for W Oak and W Cedar :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

bkaimwood

Good to hear from you, Peter. I was beginning to get thread withdrawals... I got both, trade you for some slammers???!!! :)
bk

4x4American

Shoot I'll trade you pine slammers for some w oak and w cedar!
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!