iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmarch

Quote from: WDH on September 10, 2014, 07:16:37 AM
Sometimes the ratchet straps are worse than changing the grease tube in a grease gun  :).
Heck I can remember filling a grease gun out of a bucket of grease, now that could get a bit messy!!!!!!!!!!
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: drobertson on September 10, 2014, 09:57:35 AM
Just wondering, is this movers hitch the same as the Bolin hitch knot?  ropes are handy, and ratchet straps are too, applications and requirements often dictate which are used.
Don't think so, here is the "mover's knot", I think of it as a "canoe" knot because that's how I strap down the canoe and anything else I need to ratchet down tightly with a rope.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H59bhXDUMcg
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

drobertson

Oh yea, never had a name for these loops, but I use them all the time when not using the ratchets'
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Ok, A 24' log w pine, The customer wants a 3.5"x22' counter top live edge.

How much would you charge just for the top, The rest of the log will make 12' 1" boards. The top is 154 BF.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You know what I would charge.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bandmill Bandit

I charge up to $100 bucks a foot for stuff like that depending on the tree and how hard it is to get the log you need to make the piece you need.

How hard would it be for him to find it else where?

Specialty cuts are the cream of the business. DON'T sell your self short!

In this case I would think a $40 ish price per foot would be about right.

JMO 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Delawhere Jack

WDH

I would be about $4.00/BF. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 10, 2014, 05:58:25 PM
You know what I would charge.  :D
:D Well, I think you would cut it into 3-8' pieces and charge $300 a piece ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Last week this customer calls me up and says he has some maple he wants cut up from a tree in his yard that fell down during a storm.

I told him: "sure bring it right over" and "I'll lift the logs out or off your trailer with my backhoe".

He brought me this "whack" of wood:

He carried most of the pieces off the trailer over to the sawmill, as they were very small.
He held one up that was about 4" in diameter and about 4' long and curved and asked me what did I think of it.
I told him, quite frankly, that it was firewood.
Most of it was for sure, but you know the old saying "the customer is always right".

He was willing to pay me to mill his firewood into lumber, I was will to take his money.

Just another "day in cutting wood".

Jim Rogers

Magicman

Those pieces are important to him, and our job is to saw.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

If you pay I will play[ old saying]  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 11, 2014, 12:10:35 PM
If you pay I will play[ old saying]  ;D

yes, I use "If there paying - there Saying..."

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 10, 2014, 05:43:10 PM
Ok, A 24' log w pine, The customer wants a 3.5"x22' counter top live edge.

How much would you charge just for the top, The rest of the log will make 12' 1" boards. The top is 154 BF.
Must be a big house. My house is not 24 feet wide.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

backwoods sawyer

100 miles away another yard tree came down ::)
When we arrived the customer had no idea what length he wants. So to take out the dog leg we went with a 16' couple 12' and a couple 10'. The butt log weighed in at 6,400 lb 38" small end. 

The mill will be set up on the street. All of the tailings and lumber will be hand packed past the stump into the backyard where it will be stacked ::)

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have a cut list for 2 barns......bring me 1 log please.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Loggers moving to the other side of the land track , Called me to pick up some loose ones. :D [Pine and hemlock]

Do anyone here use the log tongs to unload . Most times I can hook, pull and unhook without getting out of John. ;D

They'er a big help here. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Jim_Rogers

I do that all the time.

Jim Rogers

backwoods sawyer

I got three sizes of tongs as well, just don't have John ;D

The butt log was trimmed back to 8' as the fluting went in about 2' Rolling that 1,000 lb fluted chunck up into the back yard gave the 4 man crew of day labors a work out first thing in the morning as they came to relise they were packing the whole tree into the backyard :o :o :o :o ;D
The butt end was still 48" so I ripped it in half. 2"x 22" slabs was the target, the last log of the day was 12' and took all four of them to pack each one of the slabs to the backyard, they were so heavy with moisture they would flex 3"-4" as they were hefted up :o

When we finished we drug the sawdust up into the frontyard and dumped there as the stump grinder will be in monday and the excavator will be in tuesday to replace the sewer lines.

Both the crane opperator and the one writing the check told me we don't charge enough and tipped nicely ;D

When we got home I found one of the real disadvantages to sawing portable. The keys had been pulled out of the switch and placed on top of the control panel when the mill was put in travel mode and needless to say they were not there when we got home and I had already put the hitch lock on the mill. We made the 100 mile drive up to see if they could be located but they were not found :(

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Bruno of NH

Peter
The log tongs look like a slick set up for unloading !!!
Jim Bruno of NH
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Delawhere Jack

Backwoods, what species was that tree?

About the keys, I keep my truck and mill keys on one ring for just that reason.

Thank You Sponsors!