Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on February 14, 2018, 11:00:09 AM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 14, 2018, 06:24:00 AM
Start at 9 am, ½ the day is gone.  :D :D :D :D :D

AND it is the best half of the day that is gone too!

If I read it correctly, he said he was ready to go at 9 pm
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

starmac

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 14, 2018, 10:44:32 AM
Sometimes you do what you have to do.  If my tire shop refused to work on a Slimed tire, I'd give then a pacifier and a rattle and find a new tire shop.

Well all I can say is have your pacifiers handy. I ran a shop for years and if a tubeless tire came in with slime it either got plugged or went on down the road. I have even pulled them off that had had slime in them for years and the rim be rusted so bad that it was hard to get to seal up with a new tire.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Dave Shepard

Like I said, you do what you have to do. When the cows need to get fed, and if the only way that's going to happen is by using Slime, then I'm going to use Slime. Slime is part of working on tires these days. It's not fun, but it's also not dangerous like fix a flat. I wouldn't be opposed to a cleanup fee, but since I do most of my own tire work, I just get out :D the hose.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tawilson

Someone in another thread talked about using Tireject instead of Slime. Being the follower that I am I gave it a shot and am glad I did. I went tubeless in my tractor and skid steer and had some bead sealing issues. Tireject was the answer.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Kbeitz

Quote from: tawilson on February 14, 2018, 05:40:35 PM
Someone in another thread talked about using Tireject instead of Slime. Being the follower that I am I gave it a shot and am glad I did. I went tubeless in my tractor and skid steer and had some bead sealing issues. Tireject was the answer.

I had to look that one up... Looks like it got good reviews.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Darrel

I was way out in the middle of Nowhere Nevada once 60 miles from the nearest blacktop. Had a flat, plugged the hole without success.  I didn't want tr run my wheel barrel tire that far neither did I want to walk, so as a last resort, I slimed it. I never leave home without it. A couple days later when I took the tire in to get it fixed I got severely scolded.  I asked him what he would have done.  He said that he would have used his cell phone instead of slime. And he'd still be sitting there or walking because last I checked cell phones don't make good tire patches and they are otherwise useless in Nowhere Nevada.
:D
1992 LT40HD

SawyerTed

60 miles is a long way from a paved road......you do what you have to do!

120 miles of off road for a service call IF a cell phone worked or a $10 bottle of slime?  I know what I would do!  It wouldn't be calling somebody.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Kbeitz

I think I would drive 60 miles on a flat and buy a new rim first. I just hate that stuff.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

stihltoomany

If I had wood like that I would scale it naked
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

Southside

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 14, 2018, 07:24:59 PM
I think I would drive 60 miles on a flat and buy a new rim first. I just hate that stuff.

Out that way he may have easily been another 60 - 100 miles from anywhere once he got to the paved road.  Lakeview to Denio - 120 miles, paved, nothing at all in between, and I mean nothing. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

If it wasn't for these tire leak sealers I would have a flat on something every morning.

Darrel

Quote from: Southside logger on February 14, 2018, 09:38:28 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on February 14, 2018, 07:24:59 PM

Out that way he may have easily been another 60 - 100 miles from anywhere once he got to the paved road.  Lakeview to Denio - 120 miles, paved, nothing at all in between, and I mean nothing.

Gotta love the Blackrock Desert 8). (Ya otta be in that part of the country when folk are flocking out there for Burning Man.)
1992 LT40HD

Kbeitz

I bought my own tire machine and I keep tubes stocked up from E-bay.
I fix it right the first time.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave Shepard

Not everyone has that option, and I take offense at your tone. " Fix it right the first time". We have already been through the emergency fix scenario.   I live on a dairy farm where the price of milk is at mid '70's levels,  and the last milk check came with a list of suicide hot line numbers.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kbeitz

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 15, 2018, 10:24:05 AM
Not everyone has that option, and I take offense at your tone. " Fix it right the first time". We have already been through the emergency fix scenario.   I live on a dairy farm where the price of milk is at mid '70's levels,  and the last milk check came with a list of suicide hot line numbers.

I don't mean to offend upset or annoy anyone.  I just got some of slimmed
tires on my tire machine. What a mess to clean up. All over the machine
and floor. Again this is just the way I feel. Everyone has there own opinion.
I got many garden tractors that the wheels was ruined by slime and calcium.
I doubt if you would find anyone working at a tire shop that would ever
touch a can of that stuff.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave Shepard

They don't have to. It's the people 120 miles from town, the people who have to feed cows on a Sunday afternoon, or any number of other circumstances where it's the only option.  Your tire machine and pile of tubes will do you little good if your are on the road.

starmac

No doubt it is the easiest option, but sure not the only option. I have broken down and fixed many tires with basic hand tools, when I had no choice, but I did have air. years ago I carried a tool that screwed in to a spark plug hole that provided air, haven't seen one for years now.
Try running the Dalton, it is only 500 miles between tire repairs.

Kbeitz

I guess the new stuff don't have spare tires.

I'll step away from this post.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

Back in the 70's I drove up to Alomagordo lake, north of ft Sumpter NM. it was several miles of rocky dirt road to get to it, and iirc 16 miles or so back to town. I intended to fish, but when I got parked and got out, I could air coming out of one of my front tires.
By the time I got the spare on one of the back tires was too low to drive on. I had my spark plug hose, but it was not long enough to reach the back, so had to take it off, air it up and put it back on. I probably didn't get 2 miles before it was getting too low again. I wound up swapping the spare off the front and the leaking tire, then just left the hose in the spark plug hols, so I could quickly air it up every mile or two.

SawyerTed

We hijacked Peter's "A Day Cutting Wood" thread.....
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

thecfarm

Some get kinda worked up about getting off thread. I guess Peter don't.
Hey Peter,how much hemlock you been cutting?   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

I'm getting hijacked !!!!!!!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
And I don't care.  :D :D :D :D ;D
As long as we stay away from grits
smiley_biggrin01

Right Cfarm.  ;)
Two loads of W Pine today. But some was not too good.  :D :D

Some times I'm a dumping ground. I don't pay for the junk, If he wants it back he can have it. If not I cut it for dunnage, It goes out under lumber loades.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

paul case

I was just gona ask about that busted log in the second picture. Will it even make cants for dunnage?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!