The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: out of business, back to work!  (Read 12271 times)

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: ran out of business
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2012, 07:16:16 AM »
I finally got an email from the county after I worried them alot about being unfair. They told me if I only saw for myself here and did not advertise I could use the mill here on my farm. Do you think I should move the mill within 100 ft of his house, my land gets that close if I'd like to do it? :D
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2012, 07:49:01 AM »
That county response sounds reasonable under the circumstances.  It's certainly better than the alternative.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline clww

• Senior Member x2
  • Oh yeah? Watch this!
    • Share Post
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2012, 08:50:39 AM »
I'd make a copy of the reply they sent to show your neighbor the next time he creates a ruckus. As for the mill, I'd leave it where it sits.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver for Crete

Offline rmack

• Woodmizer owner
    • Share Post
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2012, 09:00:30 AM »
I finally got an email from the county after I worried them alot about being unfair. They told me if I only saw for myself here and did not advertise I could use the mill here on my farm. Do you think I should move the mill within 100 ft of his house, my land gets that close if I'd like to do it? :D

I don't think it's ever a good idea to be seen as escalating the confrontation.

Surely, there is a temptation to rub the neighbours nose in it, but you may regret that at some point.

the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2012, 04:39:53 PM »
Surely he crossed the line of messing with a man's way of making a living.
If he moved against you're right to take care of you're family again he would need some verbal counseling. ;D
I'm glad you got some reprieve.  What did you say to them?
It may be helpful for the next guy.
Lane Circle Mill
Homemade Bandmill

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2012, 08:47:27 PM »
I had a man from the soil and water division come out that knows about sawmills just to see how little I was. He agree with me and help me, most of what I did was just to keep calling and invite anyone to come out and look. Now as of today I got another letter from the environment air quatily people that he call them last week because I burnt a brush pile on the back of my property about the size of a small truck (with a burning permit). This guy is really trying me. Now I have to call them next week.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline WH_Conley

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to tide my profile!
    • Share Post
    • Stone Hill Hardwoods
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2012, 12:11:59 AM »
You didn't burn brush to dispose of it. You cooked a hot dog on it.
Bill

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2012, 06:25:52 AM »

I'd put the mill back where you had it in the first place, no need to be nice to your nieghbor after what he's done.    Steve
Timberking B20 15000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2012, 06:37:18 AM »
Howey Steve, yes the mill is going back to where I started maybe even closer to his house. I was in compliance with the air people as far as I can tell by looking at the rules on burning. The guy that sold the house to him called and said he's worried him alot since he sold him the house and he thinks the man is a little off. Just my luck getting him move in near me. Ricky

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
Re: out of business, back to work!
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2012, 08:27:39 AM »
That is some great news.  ;D  I have a feeling every time you do something he will be on the phone. Some people are like that. They just like to complain and try to show how smart they are.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline MrPete

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2012, 09:52:47 AM »
Just keep on doing what your doing and make sure the government entities know what you are doing.  Every time your neighbor complains it will just be another feather in your hat and the local authorities will start watching him instead of you.

Offline rmack

• Woodmizer owner
    • Share Post
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2012, 10:49:53 AM »
 "Howey, Steve, yes the mill is going back to where I started maybe even closer to his house."

So, you decided to do your neighbour a favor after all...

And , someday, when the sheriff asks why you moved the mill closer to the neighbours house, other than to provoke a confrontation..... what will you say?

I have a neighbour who has been trying to run me off my property since the day I moved in.... claims the property was "promised" to him.

"Smooth moves" include backfilling the flood plain on his side of the creek, forcing it over into my side.... lighting numerous brush fires that have done a lot of damage on my property, and doing everything he can to have various levels of government shut down my efforts at developing my land.

This has been going on for close to 4 years.

Trust me, you don't want to be part of the problem.

Moving the mill closer to his house will cost you credibility that will probably end up being a very valuable asset at some point.

You may think it's over and you have won...  I wouldn't count on it.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Offline SPD748

• "Tuam Libera Mentem"
    • Share Post
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2012, 11:30:36 AM »
I agree with previous posts... Don't make yourself a target. By all means, keep on trying to earn a living but do just that, earn a living. Don't add to or irritate the suituation. As a law enforcement officer I can tell you that many times, the complainant makes themselves the problem by continually pointing out what they perceive to be the "transgressions" of others. I'm not saying you have to be overly nice or even make any attempt to accommodate your neighbor. The best policy is avoidance. Don't put yourself into a situation where  he could allege that you've committed some criminal act against him. If he approaches you, call the police. I say again, do not confront him. This very situation has led to many an arrest based on the accusations of others. I can not tell you how many times I've seen this.   

In the end, run your mill. Be safe and have fun. Enjoy the success of your business.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Offline levans

• Full Member x2
  • Farmer/woodworker
    • Share Post
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2012, 12:04:15 PM »
maybe you could have the government entities send him a letter to the effect that in their eyes the situation has been resolved, any more complaints will simply be a waste of his and their time. 

Offline rockman

• no band mill yet
    • Share Post
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2012, 01:10:55 PM »
maybe you could have the government entities send him a letter to the effect that in their eyes the situation has been resolved, any more complaints will simply be a waste of his and their time.

I'm no lawyer, but, this post made me wonder at what point does this guys complaints become Harassment?

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2012, 04:26:39 PM »
Oh the joy of dealing with others, I am navigating an issue here at my place and I must say it may have been "good timing" as it prompted me to look again at my codes in our township and they were planning to "propose" a change nearly ALL ag land to a lesser (more restrictive class called "Rural Residential") I had not been aware of this nor any of my Ag zoned friends, so off I go organizing and potentially leading a fight to keep our Ag Zoning. Mine 18 acres, and my nieghbors 32 acres were to drop two classes to Suburban Residential, which would be the same as several bedroom communities (ticky tacky little lots etc)  ::) DUH, hello???? So off to an appointment with the Chairman of the Board of Trustees next Tuesday. I have begun to make ALL currently zoned Ag folks aware they are about to have their property tights eroded. Already have the posters and design for the brochure at the county fair next month and the local farm store. HAZARD "Hempfield Agriculturally Zoned Against ReDistricting" hopefully they can realize they are doing something very unpopular. This will be interesting, may have to run for office. We are a very mixed community of developments and farms. 

Ironwood   
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »
I could tell the story of my issue with a nieghbor, but will save that for a later date when all that has blown over. The internet can bite'cha". He has turned me in to every entity possible and has blown his whole wad on the first salvo, NOW where his rights end,...mine begin......

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline Delawhere Jack

• Senior Member x2
  • I ought to know better.....
    • Share Post
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2012, 04:40:15 PM »
Oh the joy of dealing with others, I am navigating an issue here at my place and I must say it may have been "good timing" as it prompted me to look again at my codes in our township and they were planning to "propose" a change nearly ALL ag land to a lesser (more restrictive class called "Rural Residential") I had not been aware of this nor any of my Ag zoned friends, so off I go organizing and potentially leading a fight to keep our Ag Zoning. Mine 18 acres, and my nieghbors 32 acres were to drop two classes to Suburban Residential, which would be the same as several bedroom communities (ticky tacky little lots etc)  ::) DUH, hello???? So off to an appointment with the Chairman of the Board of Trustees next Tuesday. I have begun to make ALL currently zoned Ag folks aware they are about to have their property tights eroded. Already have the posters and design for the brochure at the county fair next month and the local farm store. HAZARD "Hempfield Agriculturally Zoned Against ReDistricting" hopefully they can realize they are doing something very unpopular. This will be interesting, may have to run for office. We are a very mixed community of developments and farms. 

Ironwood

Losing the ag zoning would increase property tax rates...? No doubt that is their motive.

Offline Satamax

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: South eastern alps, in France but right on the italian border.
  • Living in Absurdistan!
    • Share Post
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2012, 04:52:08 PM »

Ironwood

Losing the ag zoning would increase property tax rates...? No doubt that is their motive.
Wouldn't it make the land buildable on the whole of the acreage and be worth a lot more too?

If i had some land, wich went up in price a lot, and a bad neignbor, i wouldn't mind moving a little further :D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2012, 04:57:53 PM »
Nobody, for the most part, bothers anyone else around here because we are a long way off from the urban life. A lot of those guys down that way might think of themselves as new country folks, but they are just a short drive to suburbia. They'll never give up those conveniences. Some of them have tried it up here, but they didn't last long. ;)

I had an uncle who worked with an East Indian, some 40 years ago. The guy commented one day, "What kind of place is this? You darn near freeze too death in winter and burn up in the summer." :D
Move'n on.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
BACK to work, Tweak & Tune The "Bob" inspired Jonsered 48mm CS2CS Work saw

Started by weimedog on Chainsaws

20 Replies
Last post October 16, 2020, 06:13:15 AM
by Al_Smith
xx
Back to work

Started by jim king on Forestry and Logging

6 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 04:47:21 PM
by Hilltop366