iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Holder/rack

Started by sdunston, July 22, 2012, 08:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

You guys can do what you want. But there is no way I would have a saw on my 3 pt winch. I suppose if you never have to back up with a twitch all will be fine. I've had a few too many logs on my mine and bent one of the arms on the cage on my winch. I get in more trouble twitching 6 inch firewood than twitching a 3 foot log.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PoginyHill

Agree. I've bumped the side of my winch by making a sharp corner. No back-up necessary. I ended up welding a protection plate because the hooks on the side that hold my chockers kept getting bent.

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Tacotodd

Just need the same idea for a chainsaw.
Trying harder everyday.

Skeans1

What was wrong with the old way of a board with a few bar holes bored in that doubled as a spring board in the truck.

Tacotodd

@Skeans have you got a pic of some sort? I'm having trouble getting my pea-brain wrapped around what you're saying  :embarassed:
Trying harder everyday.

Skeans1

We'd take a 2x6 or 2x8 and mount it across the bed rails in the crummy then take the saw and bore at a slight angle so it was easy to slide in and out.

VTKubotaM6800

I built one out of some scrap PT a few years ago. Slides on and off with no mounting hardware, but holds on enough to even ride on the trailer that way. Nice to have tools and fuel/oil right there and saw is protected being inboard of the loader arms. It makes it a little cumbersome to get on and off but I can deal with that. 

M6800, Farmi JL 601 winch, Titan BX26S chipper, Pronovost P-860 snowblower, Woods 9000 backhoe, Stihl MS362C-M

Lostinmn

Quote from: thecfarm on July 29, 2021, 09:39:32 PM
You guys can do what you want. But there is no way I would have a saw on my 3 pt winch. I suppose if you never have to back up with a twitch all will be fine. I've had a few too many logs on my mine and bent one of the arms on the cage on my winch. I get in more trouble twitching 6 inch firewood than twitching a 3 foot log.
You make a good point, but I'm not hauling firewood or even skidding out saw logs over distance.  I use the winch only to get logs out to where I can pick them up with the forks and bring to the mill or load on a trailer for longer trips to the mill. 
As this is a hobby mill, selective logs and keeping dirt off them is key for me.  So my risk of cracking a saw mounted on the winch is minimized to the to the point of having the saw handy at hand in the back is far greater probable gain in my type of use. 

g_man

I carry two saws in scabbards made from 1/2" CDX and barrel bolts. One is behind the loader mount tower where it dosen't stick out or impede getting into the seat. The other is behind the seat above the 3ph mounted on the tool box shelf.

gg

HemlockKing

I need one of these for my atv. I’m thinking I’ll clamp down a 2x6 and try to bore cut straight into the end grain. Maybe probably could crocked I guess lol gonna try it anyway. Would be 1 minute
hole for a bungee to strap to hold the saw from sliding out.
A1

John Mc

Quote from: g_man on July 30, 2021, 10:26:27 AMI carry two saws in scabbards made from 1/2" CDX and barrel bolts. One is behind the loader mount tower where it dosen't stick out or impede getting into the seat. The other is behind the seat above the 3ph mounted on the tool box shelf.

Gordon -

What are the barrel bolts for? (I cant seem to see them in the picture.)

Also: I like the real toolbox on your tractor. I thought it was against the rules to have a box larger than what is needed to hold a screwdriver, a crescent wrench, and a spare hitch pin.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

kantuckid

What "is" a barrel bolt?  ;D 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

John Mc

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

g_man

I guess they are actually call binding barrels - sorry. My son used to work in a cabinet/furniture shop and I have a ton of them.

McMaster-Carr

gg

John Mc

Quote from: g_man on August 01, 2021, 07:00:54 PM
I guess they are actually call binding barrels - sorry. My son used to work in a cabinet/furniture shop and I have a ton of them.

McMaster-Carr

gg
A ha! makes a lot more sense now. I could not figure out how you were using a barrel bolt on your holder. I thought perhaps you had rigged something to make the holder easily removable in case it was in the way for some operations.

mike_belben

As in bolt action rifle barrel bolt.
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Good enough. Now I'll just strap it to my atv front rack lol 

A1

kantuckid

I have my own cabinet wood shop too and I call those bolt latches-but gotta admit I've heard that term before. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

mike_belben

Thats one way to make a scabbard.  8)
Praise The Lord

John Mc

Quote from: HemlockKing on August 02, 2021, 06:46:11 AM

Good enough. Now I'll just strap it to my atv front rack lol

I made mine by bore cutting down the length of a 2x6. It worked well, until I clamped it to one of the cross bars on my brush hog. The vibrations eventually caused it to split. If I had clamped it to my tractor, it probably would have been fine.

Thank You Sponsors!