The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Colonoscopy  (Read 25057 times)

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Re: Colonoscopy
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 07:55:45 AM »
Previous times I did the gallon.  That Doctor moved away and this was a younger surgeon that has recently moved here and joined the group.  I forgot to tell him that I have a small stomach and can not drink a gallon of anything.

I hope that this thread will spark some concern and motivate anyone that has been avoiding this procedure to realize that it could be literally life saving.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 03:55:02 PM »
I do have one more suggestion.....start your prep around 4pm the day prior to surgery.  No later.  I usually start at 3PM.  It's better to deal with this in the early evening and then get some sleep instead of losing sleep making bathroom "runs".  (sorry, I couldn't resist).
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 06:21:32 PM »
I started really drinking a lot of fluids that morning and began the prep at 2:00 PM.  I think that it is a lot better that way and at least I got plenty of sleep.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 06:33:29 PM »
We just had a burial committal about a month ago for dad's cousin who passed away just before Christmas with cancer in his bowels, aged 73. Mother has had it done, dad refuses.
Move'n on.

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 08:49:48 PM »
I agree with others about it not being a pleasant process, but it is very important to have done.  Maybe someone here reading this will be spurred to action and prevent a catastrophic consequence in the future. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 10:22:15 PM »
WDH's statement above and the posts that have testimonials are the reasons that prompted me to start this thread.  I was uneasy last week waiting on the test results from my procedure.  Just knowing that polyps were removed and pathology test were necessary is reason enough to schedule the necessary future procedures.

Colon cancer is an easily detected and prevented disease.

Offline Paper Maker

• Full Member x2
  • Paper Maker
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 12:27:29 AM »
  I've had the procedure done twice. The first time they removed three polyps a year later had it done again and came up clean. That time I was granted five years before the next colon blow. There is no fun in having it done. The best thing to do is just wright it down on the colander as your very own personal day.  Get some reading or thinking time in for yourself. Cause it's going to be a long day.
  After reading this thread it got me thinking it should be close for me to have it done again.
  Not sure of the age bracket to start having it done but if your insurance will cover it just do it.

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 10:43:32 AM »
I've had the procedure done three or four times and I am due in two more years.

Nothing very pleasant about it, but the prep is worse than the actual procedure.

Lots of peace-of-mind once you're done.

If you're over 40, you should be scheduled to have the procedure done.  ;)
~Chuck~
Retired USAF 1989, Retired School Bus Driver 2012, now semi-retired Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and single-tooth setter, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain a Wood-Mizer

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 02:56:26 PM »
My Doctor's office called me this morning and gave me a "bit of a start".  It seems that everything is still OK, but I will not be able to skip a year.  My next procedure is scheduled for next year.  :-\

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 04:06:07 PM »
He called and thanked me for the forum and said you were so good for business, he might switch it to every 6 months.  ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 04:11:28 PM »
Magic Man,

Great thread but please no pictures of you getting scoped ;D
The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 10:26:02 PM »
Oh you remember....... :D

Offline metalspinner

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 10:54:29 PM »
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Online Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 10:10:54 PM »
You gotta take this stuff that gives you Montazumas revenge for a few hours but that passes .The proceedure is nothing .You just have to wait in the clinic until you pass a few elephant farts then you're good to go .

I don't have to go back for ten years .On other things I get the once over physical stuff like sugar and PSA blood work once a year .I really isn't a big deal and as they say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure .If you've got something nip it in the bud .

My ex fooled around with some stuff ,cancer stubborn know it all type .They buried her two years ago .--word to the wise ---

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 10:26:48 PM »
Today was my turn for the misery. On my last one, the cleanout stuff didn't work too well and that caused some problems. Doc came up a new plan for today. I went through 2 cleanout proceedures, one yesterday and another starting at 1 am today. Talk about miserable. Guess it was worth it, I got a clean report and ole doc says, "at your age, you probably won't need another one in 5 years.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2012, 07:56:13 AM »
Good for you Piney, and your "clean" report.   smiley_thumbsup

My Mom scheduled and had one at age 88.   :o   The Doctor guaranteed it for 10 years.   :)

Online Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »
FWIW a word to wise on this stuff regarding age .My daughter in law bless her heart is in her early 30's and just within the last 2 years underwent colon cancer surgery ,chemo therapy and radiation .So far so good at this time ,thank heavens .

Her family has a history of colon cancer and she thought perhaps 40 would be a good age to start a regiment of prevention and detection but it came upon her early in life so you never know about these things .Something to think about especially if it could be a heridity thing .

Offline Roger2561

• Love the outdoors
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2012, 04:47:07 PM »
Last year when I turned 50 my doc schedule for me to have one.  The prep didn't bother me (I was scared as hell with the horror stories my co-workers told me) the procedure didn't both me ( I was asleep) but the gas after the procedure!, Oh my goodness!  If I could have figured a way to bottle it, I could have heated my house for the winter and left my wood pile alone!  I had a couple of times when, I swear I went air born.  All in all, it wasn't nearly as bad an experience for me as I thought.  The doc told me they found a small poylp but not cancer.  Because of the "find" I have been scheduled to have another procedure in 5 years.   
Roger

Offline Norm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2012, 06:55:16 PM »
Thanks Roger I needed a good laugh!

Offline blackfoot griz

• Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2012, 05:29:59 PM »
I was thinking about trying to talk my way out of getting this done, but, after reading this thread, it needs to be done.
Scheduled for the 10th...

After reading this thread, I asked about the limited dose of liquid cleanser.  The doc said they have gone away from that method and I would be looking at the gallon jug :-\

My buddy just had one done and I asked him how it went....he said "From that particular procedure, that doc knew how many fillings I have in my teeth!"

I will ask him to confirm for my wife... that my head is not up there...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter