iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Design questions for a new barn

Started by Jim_Rogers, July 27, 2012, 07:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

As Rooster has suggested, and now that we know what you want to do with the roofing materials we now have to re-figure the rafter size and spacing to accommodate everything.

I can't do that right now, but will, later on.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jPell

Ok, Jim. I think I'm understanding this stuff. If I am, I have come up with rafters that pass all three tests being 4x8 #2 Pine B+S no more than 44" O.C.

The roof dead load (same as your earlier example but using 2x4 instead of 1x4 cleats) would be 432 lbs based on 13lb/sq.ft.

The roof live load (44" or roughly 3.65x7x90) would be 2299.5lbs.

Am I close?
Wood-Mizer LT-15 with 3 beds, Husky 455, no tractor (yet).
There's something about a saw blade making its way through a piece of wood.

Peter Drouin

Hi JPell so how is the barn comming along, Pete :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

jPell

Hi, Peter. Still millin' the timbers. I'm hoping to raise it before winter takes hold but we'll have to see. I've had so much going on, I haven't had much time on the mill.

Peter Drouin

sounds like your coming along , I know, I have to get some stuff done too {before SNOW }  :D :D :D :D  best of luck with the barn
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

jdtuttle

Jim,
This is a great post. I always enjoy reading your post and learning from them. I noticed your first question is always snow load. As a Building Code Official I have opportunity to research code related questions. I came across this pdf file with snow loads by state and county. Hope it's helpful.
jim
http://www.chiefbuildings.com/design/MBMA2002.pdf
Have a great day

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: jdtuttle on September 06, 2012, 06:59:53 AM
Jim,
This is a great post. I always enjoy reading your post and learning from them. I noticed your first question is always snow load. As a Building Code Official I have opportunity to research code related questions. I came across this pdf file with snow loads by state and county. Hope it's helpful.
jim
http://www.chiefbuildings.com/design/MBMA2002.pdf

Thanks for posting this pdf file.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jPell

Quote from: Peter Drouin on September 05, 2012, 08:55:12 PM
sounds like your coming along , I know, I have to get some stuff done too {before SNOW }  :D :D :D :D  best of luck with the barn

Thanks, Peter. When I get going on it, I'll try to keep up with posting pictures here.

Much thanks to you, Jim for all your help. There's a pretty darn good chance I would have ended up doing a few things the not-quite-right way without your info.

Thank You Sponsors!