iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SAW LOG PRICES

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 29, 2012, 05:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Nice score on the logs. I think you will find that it is cheaper in the long run to cut good logs with minimal metal compared to tree service logs. This is not a slam on the work the tree service guys do just that the logs tend to have lots of metal. When you figure out blade cost, blade change time and time digging out the metal it all adds up fast. This is the reason the big mills don't like to take yard trees. Remember to that the larger the dia. the less over run on doyle scale you will get.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Looks like that you got et by a Panther.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

cutterboy

David, that big cant is just beautiful. You got a good deal on those logs. I'm happy for you. I do feel kind of bad for the loggers in your area tho.

Happy sawing, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

zkurtb

On the question posed in the OP.
Here in north Idaho $320/MBF Scribner  for most fir/pine species.  Cedar is $650/mbf.  Way down from where prices were 7 years ago.
Just because you found it that way... doesn't mean it's supposed to be that way.

"Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning
answers." Bernhard Haisch

paul case

Nice job getting those logs bought right there David!

I have been trying to wrangle up just such a deal myself with no luck so far. Of course ours would be oak and 10'6'' logs are just what I need. I havn't tried putting an ad on CL because everyone who I have talked to says you will get half a million calls with folks wanting you to come cut out their yard tree that hangs out over their house.
I am going to have to get some logs from somewhere in the next couple weeks as I will be done with the job on my dad's land and I have a new standing order for 350 extra pieces a week. I have offered to pay $.25 doyle for pallet logs when the closest pallet mill is paying $.18 or $.22 and still havn't been able to get any bought.

I can scale them and I can unload them and I have a good all weather driveway suitable for a TT and I would pay upon delivery but I guess I havn't found the right logger yet. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!