iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Marketing to tree service companies?

Started by Ga Mtn Man, August 14, 2012, 10:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

I will get calls once in awhile from tree service and home owners that are having trees removed that were refered by tree service. It usually gets down to how much the tree is worth. Home owners always want high dollar to help with tree work cost. In my area firewood usually is best money for home owner. Rarely you will find someone that will want to just give you valuable logs. Log removal always means clean up on your end I have the equipment to pic logs but not the equipment to do clean up cost effective. Best senerio would be if tree service could refer your portable services and home owner pays you to mill there logs.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Ga Mtn Man

That's exactly what I had in mind. :)  Larry and T Welsh gave some good advise on how to present the idea to the tree service companies.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

taylorsmissbeehaven

I have had a great experience with three local tree services. Similar to POSTON's experience, I let a forth group dump in my back lot for firewood untill they started sneaking in trash and metal. One guy in particular has become a friend and I cut lumber for his personal projects every now and then. In return he stacks everything he can get down in lengths in his wood lot and will even load them on my truck for me when I get by there. As Redbeard stated, its hard to get most homeowners to pay you to saw up a tree they just paid to have cut down. It seems that some folks like wood and hate to see it wasted and others just find it to be an expense associated with work. Find the ones that love wood and they will be happy to see it being used. Its a win win situation.
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Buck

The three guys I deal with will give me the wood if I come get it. That is the only way I ever see the good stuff. If I let them dump here I get the trash. It's win win for them if I get involved. They charge for clean-up and I do most of it. My experiences are quite similar to Postons.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Bibbyman

I've not seen it but been told about a large log yard in St. Louis area that collects yard removal trees. They scan all the potential sawlogs for metal.  The clean ones are sent to sawmills. The logs with metal are sold as firewood logs.  We heard this from a long haul truck driver who would stop in on his otherwise empty return trip and buy a load. He would cut into firewood.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

That would be member tomfromstlouis.  No longer active here but maintains a sale add on woodfinder.  Also posts on woodnet.com.  Never been to his place but have been told by woodworkers he sometimes has great lumber at bargain prices.

I remember over 10 years ago when his business was just a dream.  He asked for advice on the woodweb and was told it would never work.  So much for advice.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Delawhere Jack

Got a little insider info from a tree service company owner today. His boys are building a little office/toolshed to service his firewood sales, and I milled some logs from them to build it. Turns out he charges for hauling away the trees he cuts. He's got two guys that work full time cutting and splitting firewood, and he says they can turn out 2 cords an hour. This is no small time operation, he's probably got 3-4 crews out working, plus the guys splitting at the yard. The number he mentioned in regards to firewood sales was 6 figures..... :o

His boys want him to buy my mill..... ;D

T Welsh

We get paid for every service that is provided to the customer. Hauling away the logs or firewood or grinding the stump. We have been offering the sawmill service of milling there logs on site for a couple of years now, but it is not a big seller in our area. When dealing with a tree service you have to remember that if you take money from my pocket, I am not going to be a happy camper >:(. Tim

Sixacresand

Good luck GA MTN MAN.  It may take a while, but I'm sure a deal will come your way.  Enjoyed reading all the post on the subject.     
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

UpInATree

Wood-mizer LT70HD D55 Wireless, Wood-Mizer ED-26, A whole bunch of Stihls. Alaskan Mill 74",  Bucket Truck, Log Truck, Chippers, trailers, dump trucks,   Kubota M9540, L3010D and B7510. Cord King.   Learning Timberframing under Jim Rogers

Robert Duval

We have two local tree services that we work with and things have been great. We have swapped out services for our pick of logs we need. We also help out the tree services too, I give them the hard wood slabs in trade for logs and one of them we swap out kindeling for logs too. I have spoken to tree services ranging in size and the ones I like dealing with the best are the smaller ones. We have one tree service that we do most of our work with, they have been great to us and refer between 2 to 6 jobs a month to us.

Okrafarmer

I think the best bet is to mill at your place and pay the tree people for the logs they bring to you. It does take some education to teach them about tramp metal, the species you want, what shape and size of logs, etc.  Then use the prices you pay to regulate what you get. If you don't want water oaks, reduce the price or say you'll take them for free, or whatever. Remind them to call before coming if they want to know the price. (Or look at your website, where you update the prices daily as needed). Let your needs dictate what you pay for the logs.

But it sounds like you're not wanting to do that kind of business.

Here is one thing you ought to do, though, and that is, take your business cards around and post them at every business bulletin board you can find, especially farm supply stores, and stores that sell forestry supplies, woodworking tools, chainsaws, and lawn and garden supplies. Always talk to the manager or as many employees as you can when you put your cards up there. Smile and tell them everything you do.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!