iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberking sharpener and setter.

Started by losttheplot, August 15, 2012, 05:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

When I got my TK two years ago it came with a box of Ultra's and a box of Ultra Max bands.  Their history now, but the only time I broke a tooth was when I tried pushing the set out to .030.  I mostly set at .024 for hardwoods and .027 for softwoods.

I'm one of those guys that tries to keep my set accurate to .001.  I do have a reason.  I think with oak the smoother the board the less surface checks during drying.  I can't prove it, but some of the experts believe it to be true.  In any case with my old one tooth at a time setter, it doesn't cost extra for me to try for that precision.  And it's pretty easy to obtain with a screw setter.

If I did this thing every day for a living, than a dual tooth setter, along with + or - .002 might be become more my standard. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tom the Sawyer

Larry,

If you prefer the Ultra blades they are still available.  They are available in boxes of 6.  The UltraMax is sold in boxes of 10.  Call Matt @ Timberking, he can get you set up with either one.   ;)

I have been setting the gullet at the bottom of the anvil block which puts the tip of the .25" tooth just below the top of the bending block.  The teeth don't break at the edge of the anvil block, its not consistent but most break at the mid point (1/2 tooth). 

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

bandmiller2

Tom,it looks like those teeth are hard right down to their root.I can see why those short teeth would tend to snap if you set them over especially if a little too much.Just for chuckles I'd try some different bands with longer more settable teeth.Give Suffolk ,Timberwolf, a call and try a couple of their bands,they have hard tips and softer bandstock and last well. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

Simonds Redstreak set easy , take a lot of sharpening and cut good also. I've had brands  here where the teeth break off easy.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WH_Conley

Must be the difference in technique, the Red streak are the worst ones for me to set, they break worse. I would second getting a couple of blades from different manufacture's.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!