iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planer head question

Started by lyle niemi, August 18, 2012, 07:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

Hello fellas, As far as I know so far the planer runs really good. I would like to know what the planer head speed should be. I finaly got a hold of the manufacturer of the planer but this planer was built in the late 40s or early 50s. The fella I talked to said most of the fellas who worked on building that unit is prolly pushin up daisys by now..lol
Right now I can get the heads up to 3400 RPM with no load. Does that sound about right???

trim4u2nv

I have a lot of 50 s era equipment and 3450 is what they were designed for.  If you balance heads and tooling within a gram you should be ok.  Otherwise you start to lose bearings.  Nice machine by the way.  The bearings should be a better price so you can use generic.

lyle niemi

Quote from: trim4u2nv on August 18, 2012, 07:19:50 AM
I have a lot of 50 s era equipment and 3450 is what they were designed for.  If you balance heads and tooling within a gram you should be ok.  Otherwise you start to lose bearings.  Nice machine by the way.  The bearings should be a better price so you can use generic.
Thanx for the quick reply, I figured it would have to be around that RPM but wasnt sure, It looks like a tuff old planer, Im thinking it will serve me well.
PS the internet has not been working to good in my area the last couple of weeks, I was told yesterday its because of solar flares..... very fustrating   GRRRR

bandmiller2

Lyle,I'am no planer authority,but Trimmer sounds like he's spot on as thats a standard motor speed.Myself I seldom run anything up to max,including my own sorry one,If you can get the desired finish, run smooth,with enough production at a little lower speed why not,saves fuel and wear on you and the machine.You have an engine on it and can find the sweet spot. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beenthere

Here is an older study on Engelmann spruce that may give you some numbers, as well as info on the knife cuts per inch. Not knowing how many blades are in your heads, this might help.

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/2394/FPL_1944-7ocr.pdf?sequence=1
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

trim4u2nv

What kind of heads does this machine have slickback steel or corrugated?  The integral blower looks like a good idea also.   That machine running full depth cuts will surprise you how many yards of chips it can produce in a couple of hours.  Chip trailer set up yet?  Electric leaf blower works good for cleanup and maintenance also.

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

lyle niemi

Quote from: beenthere on August 18, 2012, 01:07:48 PM
Here is an older study on Engelmann spruce that may give you some numbers, as well as info on the knife cuts per inch. Not knowing how many blades are in your heads, this might help.

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/2394/FPL_1944-7ocr.pdf?sequence=1
Thanx Beenthere, this will help lots

lyle niemi

Quote from: tyb525 on August 19, 2012, 09:46:48 AM
Does it have a square head?
I hope your talkin about the planer..lol Its got round heads and 4 knives on each head. Its a good thing I had brought up this topic cause I got looking and the bottom head is missing a couple of knives

ALWOL

Your planers cutting heads should be able to easily survive 4000 rpm even if the bearings are babbit. I also know that the counershaft needs to run at 900 rpm, and that will likely give you a head speed of 3600. For a little more info on your heads and knives, visit OWWM.org and read up on them.

Alan
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

Thank You Sponsors!