The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Need help choosing correct saw size.  (Read 4251 times)

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Need help choosing correct saw size.
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 10:20:03 AM »
Just for the record, how much have you used the MS390? in days, or weeks, etc of experience?
- or in terms of cords or bdft cut up? or how many trees felled?

Your saw dealers you visited may have been concerned about getting you overboard with a bigger saw at an expense they didn't feel comfortable hanging around your neck. They have a conscience too. ;)
Also, I suspect many or most dealers don't have bigger saws than 20" bars readily available in their inventory.

Will be interested to know if they have a 28" bar and the skip chain available to you.
But wish you well getting the tree cut down and then up. :)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline metalspinner

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 11:05:26 AM »
I ran into an employee of a local stihl dealer the other night at the schools open house.  He was bragging they just sold an 880 to a tree service.  That saw has been on their rack for a couple of years.  A few days after the sale, the new owner came in to get a smaller bar. :D  I can't remember what was on it, but it was at least 4'. :o
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Offline Bill Fisher

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 01:11:37 PM »
Just for the record, how much have you used the MS390? in days, or weeks, etc of experience?
- or in terms of cords or bdft cut up? or how many trees felled?

Your saw dealers you visited may have been concerned about getting you overboard with a bigger saw at an expense they didn't feel comfortable hanging around your neck. They have a conscience too. ;)
Also, I suspect many or most dealers don't have bigger saws than 20" bars readily available in their inventory.

Will be interested to know if they have a 28" bar and the skip chain available to you.
But wish you well getting the tree cut down and then up. :)

Not much experience falling, only a few small ones in my yard, anything over 15, 20ft or so I leave to the pros.  Actual use of the saw(s) cutting (bucking) logs into firesize pieces is maybe 100 hours over the last 15 years.  Probably a bit more, I don't keep track.  Definately spiked 2 years ago, remember the freak snow storm in Sept and the tropical storm the East coast got?  That was 2 days of cutting to clear my yard as well as helping out around town as a FF.

Your probably right about the dealers.  Still seems odd that I couldn't get a decent conversation going though (remember I had a few bucks to spend and was willing to do so if they convinced me it was useful).  You guys have been great and how hard was that?

Bill

Offline Leigh Family Farm

• Live life the way you want. You only get one.
    • Share Post
    • Isagenix
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 10:07:18 AM »
... You guys have been great and how hard was that?

Bill

You have no idea how hard it is to keep up the greatness! ;)
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Offline Bill Fisher

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 01:05:18 PM »
... You guys have been great and how hard was that?

Bill

You have no idea how hard it is to keep up the greatness! ;)

Hi Kilgrosh

OK, maybe I deserved that  ;D.

Maybe I can explain better what I mean.  Iím a fairly experienced amateur wood worker,   working the end produce as it were.  About 60% of my house has been rebuilt by me, all of the kitchen and bathroom cabinets are mine.  I made 2 big book cases for the study and several tables.  I built the garden shed.  Yada, Yada, Yada and so on (not bragging, just setting the stage).
If you had asked me what equipment you would need to complete a woodworking project (that I had experience on) I would be able to give you considerable advice.  More questions would refine the advice and I expect that when all was said and done you would then have a realistic idea about what you were in for.
Just like what happened here.  Everyone was very helpful and I think I have a good working knowledge about what I need to complete the job.

But when I explained the project to 2 different dealers all I got was blank looks and little to know practical advice. I couldnít believe it.  This is a definitive job, I had the physical dimensions and a working time frame and I got nothing back.  Itís OK now as the board has filled in the gaps that I needed but these guys are in business to sell dopes like me the equipment and advice to do this work.  I still canít believe it.

Please donít think me arrogant.  Iíve had most of that beat out of me over the years through one stupid stunt or another; that is exactly my point I was going to people who are supposed to know more than me to get their advice and I was willing to pay them for the their expertise (within what I could afford of course, which is also the point of this project as I canít afford to have the entire tree removed by the arborists).

Of course I donít really know what Iím in for, not entirely, but I know how to work hard and Iím willing to laugh at how naive I was (I have a feeling my yard is going to be VERY full of logs) but at the least I will have learned something and have a great story to tell.

Iíll try to re-post with details and pictures when the job is done (not that you guys donít see this stuff all the time but you may get a laugh or two out of it.  Youíve earned it).

(now if you want to talk sailing, thatís a opened ended topic! (I buoy raced for about 10 years and now Iím building a 12 Ĺ in the garage))

Bill

Offline PC-Urban-Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Been wasting time for sixty-eight years...
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 02:44:23 PM »
... Plus Iím pretty sure the wife would be seriously *pithed with a stack of would that big just sitting in the yard for the year as it dries.

Bill,

I think you should try to find a sawyer who can handle these logs. Perhaps somebody with a swingmill. I would think your wife would prefer a nice, neat stack of lumber (say 4' wide x 10' long X 6' high) perhaps in the back crorner of the lot, rather than a huge stack of firewood. If you can get it milled and dried, that tree should produce at least 1,000 bf of lumber. You could make a whole lot of woodworking projects out of that much nice elm lumber.

Good Luck!

Herb

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
The CORRECT file size??

Started by ex-Engineer Wannabe on Chainsaws

5 Replies
Last post December 30, 2006, 10:14:44 AM
by ex-Engineer Wannabe
moved
MOVED: First full size BSM: choosing between Logosol B751 and Woodmizer LT15

Started by Roxie on Sawmills and Milling

0 Replies
Last post September 12, 2018, 12:32:30 PM
by Roxie