iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tower 30 Edger Value

Started by Charles135, August 28, 2012, 11:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles135

I have found a Tower 30 two blade edger.  It appears to be complete.  The aft weight hinge location is broken, but someone has put it back on and it works well.  I have attached some photos.  I can purchase the edger locally for $150 is it worth it?

Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit
Serving the Thin Blue Line Since 1998

beenthere

Worth it?  By all means, go for it. But whether it is "worth it", is your call.

Do you plan to use it or display it?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Charles135

I would like to use it.  The two inserted tooth blades are in really good shape and the bearings are pretty tight.  I have seen the unit run and it does well.  I think with a little tlc it will be a really nice unit. 
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit

Tripp

I am currently running a tower 30 edger. It works very well. Although, it lacks some of the safety features of the newer machines.

Charles135

Tripp,
Thats a nice set up.  Did you restore the edger yourself?  Is that an original paint code? The one I'm looking at has bits of thick black paint on it. 
Charlie

Tripp

Charles,

That edger gave me quite an education when I restored it. It had sat outside for over 30 years and all the babbitt bearings had to be repoured. Im no expert but I can pour bearings now.

There was no paint at all on the edger when I got it. Not sure what color they used on them origionally. I used an off the shelf rustoleum green. I have seen 2 others painted red.

Tripp

Meadows Miller

Gday

Charles I think its worth it even if you have to get the babbitt repoured as the feed rollers do not seem to have alot of wear in them they should still feed strait  ;) Color whatever you want alot of My gear ends up Red n Black  ;) :D Tripps ended up green cause his Belsaw is I think  ;) ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Charles135

Tripp & Chris,
Thanks The babbitts are good.  I and the feed rollers do feed strait.  I have now had the oportunity to see it run. 
Charlie
Charlie

Meadows Miller

LIVE ACTION !! smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup ;) ;D ;D ;D No Worries Mate  ;) ;D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!