The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: needed: milling chainsaw  (Read 4377 times)

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
  • The woods is the best "office"!
    • Share Post
Re: needed: milling chainsaw
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 06:54:06 PM »
The logosol branded thin kerf bar is made by stihl. Talk to Greg @ Bailey's he can possibly get you squared away on the same B/C from stihl stock. Might have to do some adapting to use it on the DE80, but with the low pro B/C set up it would mill nicely, me thinks.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Offline pdoubleu

• chainsaw lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 08:53:23 PM »
Thanks for the contact! I think you definiltely have me on the right track. Awesome help, love this forum!

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 04:57:48 AM »
Good luck finding any thing to mount up to that DE except another McCulloch bar unless adaptations are made .Some Husqvarna mounts might match depending on how they are made .

The 81 cc Macs are good fallers but again they're are tad to small for good millers .Again though you could probabley mill with a mini Mac but it would take a coons age to cut a 4 foot 2 by 4 .

Offline jteneyck

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
    • J Ten Eyck - Woodworker
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 08:50:36 PM »
Well, like Al, I'm cheap.  Unlike Al, I only have 6 saws.  One of them is a Husky 385XP with a 28" bar that I run in an Alaskan Mill.  I've milled around 4000 BF of hardwood lumber with it over the past 8 years or so.  Hard work, but fun too.  Logosol used to recommend the 385XP with their mill, and I've been happy with it for the logs I mill which are never bigger than 24" dia. and more frequently in the 16 - 20" range.  Well, I did do a walnut about 28" dia. once.  I would not want anything smaller for what I do.  I also would not run low profile chains out of fear of them breaking.  A big saw driving a LP chain is not a good combination if you think about safety.  A sharp ripping chain is the key to efficient milling with a chainsaw mill.  That, and plenty of lube. 

If you plan to mill much the saw will pay for itself in short order, in which case it's better to buy a new one than try to resurrect an old one unless you've done it before.  Or buy a rebuilt one from someone here.  Milling is really tough on a saw because you're running WOT for several minutes on a big, long log, not seconds like in crosscutting. 

John   

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
  • The woods is the best "office"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2012, 10:21:27 AM »
About running LP chain on a larger saw, according to Logosol's own reccomendation, they will go up to a 660 Stihl with their picco chain, nothing larger. The whole concept of thinner kerf is less hp required with more ease and more lumber recovery from the log. I have not used it yet, but had studied the concept in depth and spoken to guys dt Baileys who have used it, I am going to purchase my next millig bar/chain setup in low pro. I will post my results.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Online HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2012, 09:57:56 PM »
I have milled with LoPro Picco 3/8 chain with my Stihl 066 Mag. But the chain "kinked up" in the links pretty quick. Trouble was I was running standard 3/8 rim and bar nose.
I know by comparing a 3/8 picco rim sprocket and standard 3/8 rim the pitch is different. [8T-3/8 picco rim is larger in diameter then a standard 8T 3/8 rim]. I have a 8T 3/8 Picco in small spline bore to fit small Stihls.
I'm told Logosol which I have no experience with has a rim sprocket in Picco pitch with the large standard 7 spline bore to fit the 066 etc. The kinking problem should be eliminated with this rim.
Don't forgot to run a picco bar nose too,or use a roller nose if that's not possible.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Advice needed on chainsaw milling.

Started by diyguy on Sawmills and Milling

27 Replies
Last post January 13, 2017, 12:47:06 PM
by RPF2509
xx
Advice needed for best way to fell a 28" walnut for chainsaw milling

Started by chainsaw_louie on Ask The Forester

7 Replies
Last post October 28, 2009, 09:44:53 AM
by inwoodcutter