iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loading a tube grease gun question

Started by Jim_Rogers, September 22, 2012, 03:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on October 02, 2012, 07:49:19 AM
Lyle is, I believe, the first one that said to do what the instructions said to do. Fill the top end of the tube and also to fill the pump end of the cap.

Actually I haven't loaded the new gun yet, so I don't even know if it will work.
I most likely will do it today.

Jim Rogers
I aint no good at readin, writin or rithmetic, but I did pump a little grease in me day..lol

Burlkraft

This is exactly how Jill's youngest, Hunter, went about it just last week. I couldn't help myself  :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

Jim, we're dyin' to know how it goes. Wish you well in the venture. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: beenthere on October 02, 2012, 10:10:09 AM
Jim, we're dyin' to know how it goes. Wish you well in the venture. ;)

To tell you the truth, I couldn't find my respirator so I went to home depot and got a new one.... :D

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Peter Drouin

Good one Jim  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Weezer

WAIT!!!! Are you sure you got the RIGHT KIND of grease for the job to go in that gun??? :P
Here we go down another road! sling_shot
                                             The Instigator.............

Sawdust Lover

Sprucegum

:D  :D  That's a grease gun full of trepidation for sure !!

Jim_Rogers

beenthere

:D :D :D :D :D
Now we know. Great vid. 8)

Not a bit of grease in that nice white beard.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Woodchuck53

Thank you Mr. Jim. That was funny. When in the field plowing and greasing the disk once loaded and the charging handle is pushed back in Dad always taught us to bump the gun on the frame and give each bearing to pumps or less if you see grease squeeze out. Seems to work well all these years.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Brad_bb

Yes, very funny Jim!  I hadn't seen this thread, but saw your video pop up on my youtube channel (subscribed).  I was laughing as soon as I saw you reading the instructions!

We have got to laugh more!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

swampbuggy

But I don't see you loading the grease in the gun and I believe that was your problem to start with. Will you be buying a new gun every time you run out of grease? ;D :P :D
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: swampbuggy on October 08, 2012, 11:26:41 AM
But I don't see you loading the grease in the gun and I believe that was your problem to start with. Will you be buying a new gun every time you run out of grease? ;D :P :D

I attempted to use the previous tube of grease. The one I dropped on the ground and bent the metal end.
The spring loaded plunger works good on the new grease gun.
So good it happens when you least expect it.

This was the results:

I used a new grease tube and a pair of vice grips to hold the plunger rod out while I tried to screw the pump head back onto the cylinder body, because the new grease gun's rod release lever if very touchie. And can release itself at the most in appropriate times, twice. :o

Hopefully, if I follow the installation instructions and load the pump before I refasten the cylinder back onto it first, I won't have any more problems.

I did notice that the spring in my old grease gun didn't have half the pressure of my new gun's spring.
And the new gun's plunger fits into the paper tube very nicely. 

Jim Rogers

Migal

:D To think I purchased timber framing drawings from one that had time to waste on grease LOL
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

bandmiller2

Jim,I'am waiting for the full legnth movie,mayby you could get Giada to costar.You must know my old buddy Ted Koopman,he's grease lightning on his Timber Harvester if he doesn't stop to talk. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: bandmiller2 on October 11, 2012, 08:41:11 AM
Jim,I'am waiting for the full legnth movie,mayby you could get Giada to costar.You must know my old buddy Ted Koopman,he's grease lightning on his Timber Harvester if he doesn't stop to talk. Frank C.

I won't have time to expand on this subject, that I know of for at least two weeks. ;D

giant splinter

Jim
Great video, even the music was good (keep up the good work)
roll with it

SPIKER

After that first pump I was half expecting you to look at camera with a look of "nothing came out try it again" then after 4th or 5th pump a frantic fast paced pumping of 10 or 15 times followed with a an Olympic grease gun toss across the yard!   :D :D :o
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Jeff

I didn't read every post here, so I don't know if it has been mentioned, or if it is even on topic any longer as everything I read this morning is about grits, but just in case it is still about grease, I have a tip. :)

At the big mill I worked at most of my working life, keeping things greased was a big deal. We had a lot of stuff to grease, so grease was always bought by the case. There is one simple thing you can do to get your grease gun charged and ready to grease every time.  Store your grease tubes standing on end with the removable sealed end down. The grease will settle to that end and the void will be at the bottom of the tube.  This is assuming you have the grease in a warm environment or season. A new case of grease in the winter stored in a cold shop isn't going to settle until it warms up.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

My Brother and I found out that a sharp whack on the grease gun handle would send a splat of grease 20' or more.  Sooo, occasionally we would get a splat across our always bare back and a grease gun fight would ensue.  Kinda like today's paintballs I guess  ???   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

" Just a little dab will do ya ". For those of you old enough.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bibbyman

I just paged through this topic. I hadn't had interest in it before.  But a couple of weeks ago I got to studying about cordless power grease guns.  They looked too expense.   But I have so many difficult zerts to grease I thought a cordless one may help.

I got a good review on Lincoln brand guns from a farmer friend that does a lot of mechanic work.  I checked Sears and Tractor Supply and thought I could get a better deal online.  Shopped Amazon and found a Lincoln 18v with two batteries for $218. Ordered it Monday and got it Wednesday.

Today I was in NAPA to get filters.  Noted they had a Lincoln 12v with one battery for $395.00!.   

I just came in from using the new cordless gun.  Worked great!   The hinge pins on the Terex take a lot of grease.  Just hold the trigger down until grease comes out.

I didn't think I'd need the second battery but the first ran down before I got done.  The second battery had not been charged so continued another day.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Woodchuck53

Talking about grease. I had occasion to replace the bearings on the lawn tractor and on inspection found that the other three on the front wheels were kind of gravely. I bought 4 total and popped the dust caps off of one to see what made them "life time bearings" As it turns out nothing. Hardley any grease. Got my needle zert adapter to fit my gun and pumped away until it tried to displace the dust covers. Installed all 4 bearings and should be good to go. Just thought i would share. Of course doing all of this while eating grits and eggs. Stay safe, Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Thank You Sponsors!