iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blade coolant for winter use?

Started by R.A. Mathieson, October 26, 2012, 08:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.A. Mathieson

Hi,

>looking for info on what is added to the water reserve (for bandsaw blade) when running a mill in the winter...cold temperature windshield wash?...glycol??
>do you have a special mixture?

thanks in advance.

R.M.

thecfarm

R.A. Mathieson,welcome to the forum. A bunch of questions for you.What kind of mill you got? Sawing full time? been sawing long? Put your state in your profile. that helps with a lot of questions too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hamish

Windshield washer fluid, dependant upon your location you are good to -40C, if you are in a more temperate area you can even cut it with some water for economy sake.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Solomon

I use off road diesel or home heating oil all the time. . Never have any problem.   Its worth the cost to me.  And it keep my blades free frim pitch.
I sometimes cut creosote poles into 8x8s  10x10s & 12x12s.  Fuel keeps everything clean.   I'm a believer. :P
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    R.A. Mathieson.   :)  As has been mentioned, adding your location and sawmill manufacturer and model number will help with future questions.

Wood-Mizer has a PDF showing a chart for adding -32° windshield wiper fluid for various temps.  Since I live in the South, one gallon per 5 gallons of water will protect me to 0°.  The formula increases to 100% wiper fluid to bring the protection down to 32°.

Since this question comes up every year, maybe one of the WM reps will see this and post it again.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sparks

\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Magicman

Thanks, Sparks.  I finally remembered to save it this time.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trapper

Printed and going in my saw manual.
Thanks   Marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!