iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Banding Material

Started by rooster 58, November 20, 2012, 06:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

At the chemical plant where I worked we used the green poly to strap the lids on the cartons we filled with our product. We had an inline automatic bander that heat sealed the strapping.

We also used hand banders at times to either band when the bander was down(sometimes often), or for banding scrap cardboard or such. We had a couple different styles of banders. I preferred the ratchet type that actually wrapped the tail aroud a wheel to tighten. You could get the band very tight and the ratchet didn't slip. The other style was also a ratchet, but employed knurled wheels to grab and pull the strap tight . These did not allow as tight of a band, and also wore out after awhile.

Before I left that department to work the reactors, we got handheld, battery operated heat seal banders. I didn't like those. They were cumbersome, heavier than the manuals, also didn't pull as tight, and we had frequent problems with the heat seal not being hot enough, which caused the seal to pop

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 07, 2013, 10:57:28 PM
I'm trying to figure out what to use. I need to get something, but not sure what all is involved since I haven't strapped lumber since 2000. If I go with one of the poly strapping systems, what do I need besides the strap material itself? Some things have the buckles, and others use another method-- ok, what do I need to get set up?
If 3/4 poly is the right strength for your application then this kit will get you started and let you learn what works for you without any waste.
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=KSS+1000&catID=   or from http://www.ptipackaging.com/Qstore/c000276.htm

The manual tensioner is effective, indestructible, and can really pull it tight but takes a bit to learn, might not be the best if your banding is going to be done by a number of different persons.

Once into buying bulk supplies I recommend Kubinec strapping and buckles from PTI packaging too.
http://www.ptipackaging.com/Qstore/c000277.htm 
I got 3300 ft of 3/4 and a box of 1000 buckles from them.  Strapping comes in a number of different widths which one you use depends on your application and maybe how many bands you want to use per bundle etc.  The manual tensioner handles different strapping widths.   The buckles and strapping are quite re-usable.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

kderby

I have stepped up to the braided banding and buckles for my slabs. I was using old nine gauge telephone wire and ran out of my supply.  For the braided strapping there was a learning curve ::) ::) ::)

The slabs of fire wood was the target that needed strapping.  The slabs are placed in a steel bin and they get strapped before the forklift lifts them out.  Then they get a third strap and off to storage or sold!

We started using the Kubinec product from Bailey's.  My crewman was doing the strapping and we started to have failures! :o :o.  We would lift the bundle and during movement if would implode. >:( >:( >:(  Re-stacking low value firewood in not a way to cheer me up!  I took the moment to analyze the failed straps.  The way the buckle is threaded matters.  Incorrect threading equals failed buckle and a mess.

My crewman is very bright (too bright?) but stubborn!  So I took him aside and showed him the difference in the buckle threading.  He started throwing all sorts of "what if" and "yeah but" scenarios.  I got in his face and said STOP!  This is not about thinking of any other variable.  There is a correct way and a non-correct way to thread the buckle.  I hope that he got my message.  The product is not what failed.  The human factor (both of us) needed some edification/adjustment.

I share this to share my progress and lesson.  Hopefully I will see this product serve us well. 8)

Okrafarmer

Yes, we all need to band together in times like these.  ;D

I am still orbiting the marketplace waiting for just the right time and product to pounce on. So far I'm still using invisible strapping or ratchet straps.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

kderby

OK ???

You had better get that prescription re-filled! ;D

Okrafarmer

Quote from: kderby on June 07, 2013, 01:18:28 AM
OK ???

You had better get that prescription re-filled! ;D

:o
No! It would kill us!
(Smeagol, LOTR)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!