The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Numbness in fingers and hand  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
    • Share Post
Re: Numbness in fingers and hand
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »
The area that has feeling, is the skin on the top of my hand and most of my palm.  The thumb isn't numb below the first joint, either.  All four fingers and the part of the palm that is just below the fingers has no feeling. 

I will mention it to my doctor at my next regular checkup, which should probably be after the first of the year. 

Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 04:31:35 PM »
SD
Your Mom was referring to you at the time?

Nope, just usually someone that gets her infuriated. I never do that.
Move'n on.

Offline hardtailjohn

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 02:05:18 PM »
Just a little food for thought..... I went through the carpal tunnel surgery. It worked good for about 2 months....then started right back up again. I just put up with it, as it's expensive and I didn't have the time to sit and recouperate if I went through surgery again.  Not long after, I started having a little trouble in my other hand/arm... all the Dr's kept telling me that I needed to go back to surgery and they'd fix it....  Finally, I wound up going to a good chiropracter and in about a month's time I had no more trouble. He explained that it starts in your back/shoulders, and the wrist is just where it shows. Opening the tunnel just relieves the symptom, not the cause.  Just my personal experience...
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Exiled from Sawdust Land--plotting a return
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 10:12:28 PM »
Hmm, worth investigating. I do know that sitting in most any forestry machine, bouncing along all day is bad for the spine alignment.  :(
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Reduced to Uber Driver and a broken MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 10:56:10 PM »
hardtailjohn-

Whatever works for you is great, so I am not discounting it.  But the explanation of your chiropractor is not founded in science or the experience of millions of people who have this syndrome.  For the vast, vast majority of people, the nerve compression is at the wrist, and not in the neck/shoulder.  A pre-operative EMG - NCS  (electromyogram / nerve conduction study) can differentiate between nerve compression at the neck / shoulder and the wrist, and is a common test used to to identify the location and possible cause of nerve irritation.  While the explanation of your chiropractor may be true for some, it is most definitely not true for the majority of patients with CTS.

A more likely scenario is that the nerve, once compressed, swelled into the increased space available to it after the carpal tunnel release.  That change in the nerve generated some irritation, leaving you with some of the same symptoms that were present prior to the surgery.  The fact that, a month or so later, this resolved with a few neck manipulations and shoulder exercises does not prove that the wrong site had surgery, or that the neck / shoulder treatment was directly related to resolution of the numbness.  And, before you jump to any conclusions, I am a doc that believes that chiropractors are helpful and have their place in the great scheme of medical care.  I just think that explanation is way too simplistic and generalized, and flies in the face of the long list of patients with median nerve compression at the wrist, i.e. carpal tunnel syndrome.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 08:12:54 AM »
My wife had it done. I'm the "my wife's second cousin,brother,neighbor" had it done guy.  ;D  doctorb knows the new way. Only 3 little places,holes? We met someone just about 2 weeks later that had it done the old way,lay your wrist wide open. Recover rate was long for the wide open way. Did wonders for the wife. No problems at all now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 02:08:56 PM »

The computer games that involve repetition seem to be able to get similar conditions (pain)... .
If I recall correctly they called that "Atari wrist" caused by playing too much stars wars back in the day .

Meat cutters get CTS ,assembley line workers even typists .Because of the politics involved it's never to this day been termed an employment related injury   .However much has been since with ergonomics as a method to prevent or in some way address the issue .

Offline Sprucegum

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 05:14:32 PM »
When my wife got Carpal tunnel acupuncture was recommended. She had three sessions about a week apart and was cured! That was about 8 years ago and still no more pain or numbness. It will be even less invasive than the new surgery and relatively low cost - check it out first, if it doesn't work for you the other options are still open.

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 07:58:52 PM »
Worth a try if you are so inclined.  Risk is extremely low.  Not a bad idea.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
My daugher did the acupuncture treatment for her carpal tunnel problem a few years back and it has helped her with no problems since.
~Ron

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Exiled from Sawdust Land--plotting a return
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 12:20:18 AM »
Maybe I should go to the acupuncturist instead of the chiropractor.
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Reduced to Uber Driver and a broken MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 07:48:35 AM »
It can affect about anyone .The little lady ,all 5 foot of her who  cuts my hair had the treatment for CTS just from doing hair with scissors for years .

Now a guy I worked with in fact went to apprenticeship school with had CTS .He does the same stuff as myself but he's a neat freak .Wouldn't get a speck of dust on himself if he worked in a coal mine .He was raised by his mother .

This guy handled everything with his finger tips ,gripped everthing oddly .So I'm not so certain that what the task is really contributes as much as to how the task is done but I'm not a medical person so that's just casual opinion .

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Hand forged hand tools - chisels and slicks, looking for advice.

Started by nebruks on Timber Framing/Log construction

8 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 10:03:41 AM
by nebruks
xx
Mandrel Nut Right Hand or Left Hand Thread

Started by Corley5 on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post June 17, 2019, 06:09:07 PM
by dgdrls
xx
Dragback Fingers