iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logs to drool over!

Started by T Welsh, December 11, 2012, 06:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I just knew somebody would come along and post something ugly.
That's not fair, Magic.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

You knew that I had that picture.   :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Some pecan.  This is some of the wood that Mooseherder took to Florida this weekend.

Here is a black walnut log approaching the LT15!

(I love black walnut  :)).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

PECAN ??? Isn't there a song called "THE  smiley_devil WENT DOWN TO FLORIDA"?

Leigh Family Farm

There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

WDH

David,

A whole truck load sure did!  I told Mooseherder to get the spiral head with the carbide inserts  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on December 11, 2012, 10:05:32 PM
David,

I told Mooseherder to get the spiral head with the carbide inserts  :D.

I'm sure you did.....AFTER he loaded it.  :D :D :D

mikeb1079

great thread!  so you guys like walnut eh?

wheeeeeeeeee!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Okrafarmer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 11, 2012, 09:36:03 PM
I just knew somebody would come along and post something ugly.
That's not fair, Magic.  :D
Quote from: Magicman on December 11, 2012, 09:41:27 PM
You knew that I had that picture.   :D :D

So-- remind us what kind of wood it is? Looks like box elder to me. . . .  :-X
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

Here's what I did today.

150 bf (intl) ERC log, 12 ft by 19" Almost no rot. Custom milled today.

And the spalted ambrosia wormy sycamore I milled about a month ago.

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Cypressstump

OK, Figrued I have to contribute a favortie speices of some on here , so how about a GUM  picture?  ::)

This is a Sinker Red Gum I recovered with the help of a friend, this was a fairly large blow down tree. We worked our butts off on this dang tree. Sorta Purdy for a Gum.....

And YES, before someone pipes in here and notices it's an Orange Mill,,, ;D YES a WM, My friends old dependable elec. super 40. This was before I got my latest mill... We've changed a few bands on this ol' girl.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Okrafarmer

Cstump, how big was that log before you got it down to that cant? Did it have any light-colored sapwood, and/or was that brown color from soaking up swamp water all those years, or just from the color of the heartwood?

Cypressstump

It was around 54" dia on the butt and 46 foot long when it forked. Sapwood was 3 2-3 inches deep ,dark brown but when air hit the old stuff it turned black in a few seconds.
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Okrafarmer

Wow. Hmm. I wonder what color sinker walnut turns.  ::)

T Welsh

A Box Elder for a local campground for benches!

All slabs had figure. Tim

Magicman

Did someone say "sinker"?

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodchuck53

MM that is just fine. Ever wish you sawed on halves?
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Cypressstump

MM, that's a nice one. Looks like it's been dry for a while?

The log in my avatar is also a double heart sinker. I cut it with the two hearts laying horizontal, into 1 1/2" and 2" boards for counter tops and the two very center boards to be made into a table with the two boards joined end to end. I did not take any pictures of it tho'......It made some fine boards.
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

Skoalbandit78

Thanks for all the good pictures.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I love sawing Binoculars. Nice log Magic.

Jemclimber

Some beautiful pics MM. I'm sure you've seen your share of stunning wood.
lt15

Magicman

And some that was not.   >:(

Magicman

Here are a few logs that I sawed for Dodgy Loner.

And what we found inside one of them.

learner

Talk about a drool fest!  :D  I can barely wait to see what's inside these.  I'll post pics after I saw each one.  Have an oak I'm gonna practice on before I cut into the crotch on the one.

WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Okrafarmer

Learner, is that walnut? It looks fairly light in color. Maybe a regional variation?

Thank You Sponsors!