iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Kitchen Work Island

Started by WDH, December 17, 2012, 06:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

For Daughter #1 for Christmas.  This is a kitchen work island with a top and shelf made from quartersawn white oak.  The carcass is made of yellow poplar and painted.  The island is 4' long, 2' wide, and 36" high.  The top is made to look thick by a technique that I call the "faux thick" technique, faux being French for false.  You simply cut the end off each board on the top, turn it back under, and glue it to the mother board where the grain matches.  This assures that both the mother board and the cut-off end will shrink and swell with seasonal changes because the grain is matched.  Here is a pic of the underside of the top with the  "faux" edges and ends.  It looks like it is 2 1/4" thick when in fact, it is only 1 1/8" thick except along the ends and the edges.  Scott Smith recently made a beautiful quartersawn red oak kitchen table using this same technique.

Here is the top of the top.  You can see where the grain on the end of each board is matched with its corresponding cut-off.

Here is the carcass made out of yellow poplar.  I used yellow poplar because my daughter wanted the base to be painted white to match her kitchen.  The aprons are attached to the legs with mortise and tenon joints, and there is a bead along the bottom of each apron. 

The legs are tapered on the inside on both inside faces below the slatted shelf.  This gives it a more elegant look, not so bulky.

Here is the completed island.  The top has very nice quartersawn figure.  The slatted shelf is also quartersawn white oak.

The top was finished with food grade mineral oil and paraffin wax.

Merry Christmas!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Tree Feller

That's what I would call "simple elegance." It's a very clean look with just enough refinement to make it stand out. I like it a lot, especially that beautiful QS Oak top. Well done, sir.

Edit In: In furniture, proportion is everything and you got the proportions perfect on that piece.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can build one like that if I get my mind right.  ;D

Very nice......Sis gets all the good stuff.  :'(
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Know I know why you call me Pop all the time  :D.

Cody, the slats are the same width as the thickness of the legs which makes it sort of flow together.  The bead creates a nice shadow line to draw the eye.  The thickness of the top is just 3/16" less than the width of the slats and the legs, so that is complementary.  The figure in the QS white oak gives the unpainted wood portion just a little fanciness.  This was a fun piece to build. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

haywire woodlot

Thanks so much for posting these Danny. I'm in the design process of my island/work table and I was considering tapering the legs. I like what you have done with yours.
Dave

Axe Handle Hound

You are quite a productive woodworker WDH.  I can only manage to finish a single piece every 6 to 9 months these days.  It's impressive how you get these done without sacrificing an ounce of quality.  I love the bead detail and the color on that oak is amazing.

Red Clay Hound

Nice Danny!  Maybe one day I'll find enough time to build some projects like this.  So far, my kids aren't as fortunate as yours.  I have been the recipient of a couple of nice pieces built by Dodgy.  :)
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Piston

That is really nice!  I envy you guys with woodworking skills.  I'm still working on mine  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

WDH

Red Clay Hound,

It is the daughters that are the problem  :D.  Hard to turn them down  :).  All you need to do is throw a hint at Dodgy  ;).

Axe handle Hound,

I generally have some type of woodworking project underway most times, but some of them take a lot longer to complete, especially if I am sawing lumber.  I do things in spurts.  A spurt of logging/sawing, then a spurt of working on my timber stands, then a spurt of woodworking, then a spurt of doing almost nothing  :D.

Piston,

You have to start somewhere, and if you stick with it, it will be fruitful for you. 

jamesamd

Dan,Your the MAN!!
Another sweet build.
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Lud

Well done, Danny.  Very cleanly designed and executed.  You help "set the bar" for the gang here. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

DR Buck

Nice piece Danny.    How did you do the ends?   I'm guessing they are cut off at 45ยบ from each end and then glued back under?

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

WDH

Dave,

They are cut off at 90 degrees, like you were trimming the end of a board square, then glued back under where the growth rings match.  These end pieces were 1 1/8" wide because the boards that make up the top are 1 1/8" thick.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Dodgy Loner

Beautiful! I love it 8) Better not let my wife see it, or she will want me to make her one ;)

Now, get to work on that cherry blanket chest smiley_whip
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

samandothers

"The legs are tapered ........  This gives it a more elegant look, not so bulky."

Hey my legs are tapered but it has not helped me to look more elegant and I still appear bulky!  What's up with that.  >:(

Great looking job, I like the trick to the faux thickness.

WDH

(Working on the blanket chest tomorrow.....working on the blanket chest tomorrow....working on the blanket chest tomorrow......)

Guess what I am doing tomorrow  ???.

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Sometimes simple is good.  Simple can be beautiful, like those boxes you made! 

jueston

beautiful, its going to make for a great christmas.  :)

fat olde elf

WDH - I checked this out after our phone chat while you were delivering. As usual great work.  Had a nice phone chat with Gene Wengert after talking to you.  Both of you continue to inspire me. Happy Holidays...........
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

fishpharmer

Danny, your woodworking inspires me.   :christmas:
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Al_Smith

Quote from: WDH on December 17, 2012, 09:47:00 PM
I generally have some type of woodworking project underway most times, but some of them take a lot longer to complete, especially if I am sawing lumber.  I do things in spurts.  A spurt of logging/sawing, then a spurt of working on my timber stands, then a spurt of woodworking, then a spurt of doing almost nothing  :D.

Which I might add is almost exactly the way it goes in my life also .

WDH

I am in the "Do Nothing" spurt at the moment.  Tomorrow that will change!  This is the very best time of the year for me to saw lumber and replenish some inventory.

scsmith42

Two thumbs up Danny!  That really turned out nice.  You did a great job matching the grain pattern on the top too.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!