iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

files

Started by Peter Drouin, December 31, 2012, 06:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

they dont last as long. I try to cleen them but they dont bite, so do you find there not as good as before, I have tryed all kinds, but there junk

what do you guys think
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

AdkStihl

STIHL files last longer than any other file I've tried. Oregon being the worse.
After ever other top plate gets filed, I take a small tooth brush sized stainless steel brush and brush the file clean of filings. Takes only a few seconds and will make your file last twice as long.
J.Miller Photography

cuterz

I have had good luck with Pferd files. splitwood_smiley

T Welsh

Peter, They all work,but some are better than others. I prefer Pherd and Sthil. Most of the German and Swedish files are superior to others. Tim

gspren

It is old news to experienced filers but if you are new "never back drag a file" it cuts going forward and should not touch the metal when coming back for another stroke. Back dragging will ruin a file quick!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Slab Slicer

I've always usd Stihl files with little or no issues. No experience with any others. I'll be looking to see what others say. I'm sure I'll learn something.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

petefrom bearswamp

I sharpen about 1/2  of the time in the vise in my shop.
I use a square handle on my files and turn 1/4 turn after every tooth, then tap on the vise to dislodge any residue in the file after a complete rotation.
When in the woods or at my firewood processing lot I use a clamp on vise on my Faarmi winch using the same technique.
File life for me is pretty good.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

scully

I buy a box of files at a time ,I have noticed that some last a biy longer however in general they wear out fast . If you sharpen in a vice I have found you can get a bit more out of a dull file . Not long ago I grabed a new one and started sharpening only to find that the file was junk ! I've been planning on getting a wheel sharpener for about 20 years now but always have bigger prioritys ....
I bleed orange  .

drobertson

I use the Stihl brand too, I also use a brass brush to clean, but most of the time a couple of taps on the end does the job.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ely

when the file gets too loaded up with bar oil and cuttings that tapping will not clean it out, i use a few blasts of carb cleaner and then tap it again, that usually gets it good for awhile longer... i try and keep a clean dry file.
some folks i know dip thier files in muriatic acid to clean them, they say it sharpens them ::)

AdkStihl

I've heard good reviews regarding Save Edge files too although I've never tried one.
My local Shushkavarnah dealer keeps them in stock.
J.Miller Photography

TeaW

I get about 10 - 15 sharpenings with Oregon files on 25 inch (bar) 404 chain . @1.50 a file that's .15 cents or less a sharpening there are alot of things that I am less happy with .eg price of diesel.
TeaW

Peter Drouin

Thanks for all the replys,
I have tride all the cleening remedies and they all work well,
Just seems the teeth on the file round over and not bite well. when I use a new file and push though the chain I like to see the chips fly and is cutting good. I use the file free hand by eye ,bin doing that over 40 year
Im using the files on 7900 dolmar with a 24" skiptooth  bar ,
I do use all of the file , start in the middle :D and work to the ends :D
when they stop biting and just sliding down the tooth , Ill grab a another new one :D
3 or 4 files per life of chain, use to use 2 years a go,  :D :D
and thanks to all  :new_year:
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Al_Smith

Pferds are a good file .Baileys sells Arbor Pro or something like that .They used to have several tooth styles .I have found the fine toothed variety is not as aggressive as Pferds and for that hard as a rock Stihl chain it seems to do better .
On Oregon or Carlton chain the Pferds seem to do better .Oregon files don't seem to do good on anything but they will file a chain they just don't last as long .

thecfarm

Peter,a lot of things that use to last, don't last as long now.  ;D  I've noticed it with files too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bill m

A small brush with brass bristles is better for the file. Also keep the file in a short piece of plastic tubing ( I use 5/16 maple sap tubing ) It will help it last longer. Oh, and yes there are some files out there that are junk.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

cuterz

I agree there a lot of things built cheaper these days :-X

Jasperfield

I used to use Stihl files.

For the last six years I've used SaveEdge files only. They're more expensive than other files, but the first time you use a SaveEdge file you'll forget what you paid for it. SaveEdge, in my opinion, is the best saw file ever made.

I use them from 0.404 size and on down. They'll last two times as long as a Stihl file and cut like a file's supposed to cut.

Buy SaveEdge and you'll never go back to another brand.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Jasperfield on January 02, 2013, 01:39:45 AM
I used to use Stihl files.

For the last six years I've used SaveEdge files only. They're more expensive than other files, but the first time you use a SaveEdge file you'll forget what you paid for it. SaveEdge, in my opinion, is the best saw file ever made.

I use them from 0.404 size and on down. They'll last two times as long as a Stihl file and cut like a file's supposed to cut.

Buy SaveEdge and you'll never go back to another brand.

thanks ill try them
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

Bailey's has the Save edge files,
http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=save round&catID=10158
Shipping for me would be $12,  :o  flies are $16.
Just about what it cost for 4 jars of The C Farm jam,shipping too.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Majorpayne

beenthere

Majorpayne

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

With all due respect, Bailey's is one of our Forum sponsors,  ;) 

And to add, Bailey's will ship one dozen 7/32" files at $11.99 per dozen via USPS for $7.95
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Way to make forum friends and influence people with a first post to push business away from a sponsor. I'm guessing you earned your user name somewhere else first?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Majorpayne

Jeff

We'll forgive you this time. ;) If you would have had enough posts under your belt, we would have never said anything this time.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

joe_indi

Pferd has a brush for cleaning the file grooves.Its very effective.
I also use an old tooth brush and soap to clean out the grooves, after which I use an hot air gun to dry the file.
This too extends the serviceable life of the files.
Pferd, Stihl (the Swiss ones), Oregon, Carlton. My preference in descending order.

Joe

Al_Smith

Normally if you just tap the filings out of the file it does pretty well .Some people might soak them in vinager to prolong the life .I don't myself .Once it gets so it won't cut worth a hoot I just get out a new one .

Now I've seen people push away on a dull file  that cuts about as good as using a 20 penny nail to try and save a buck and a quarter .Makes sense to me .File away for 20 minutes on a 5 minute job and it then cuts about as good as putting the chain on backwards .---rocket science -

Peter Drouin

Now I've seen people push away on a dull file  that cuts about as good as using a 20 penny nail to try and save a buck and a quarter .Makes sense to me .File away for 20 minutes on a 5 minute job and it then cuts about as good as putting the chain on backwards .---rocket science -

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D good one ;D  Al-Smith
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Al_Smith

:D I can't help myself ,it just slips out .

JuniperBoss

Maybe the "dragging back" of my file is ruining it quick. I get lazy and do that sometimes. It's a Stihl file and it doesn't file even close to the way it used to on the first chain. I've sharpened a chain about 5 times with it. Gone from a couple strokes to 15 strokes. All files wear out eventually but I think it's wearing pretty darn fast. That's ok though 'cause I've got an electric sharpener for Christmas!
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

beenthere

For sure dragging the file back through the tooth will not do it any good - for the file or the tooth.

It is like a hacksaw, that only cuts on the push (or pull if the blade is in backwards :) )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CTL logger

I bought a dozen save edge files from them at the Richmond Expo a few years back sharpest file I've ever used.  They are made in Xenia,Ohio you can send them back to them and get them resharpened I've never done it but was told it's half the cost of new files. The way I see it buy them from Bailey's their made in the USA seems like a win win to me.

Peter Drouin

thanks CTL logger I'll look for them
A&P saw Mill LLC.

CTL logger

No problem hope it helps.

Tree Killer

Quote from: beenthere on January 02, 2013, 07:17:16 PM
Majorpayne

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

With all due respect, Bailey's is one of our Forum sponsors,  ;) 

And to add, Bailey's will ship one dozen 7/32" files at $11.99 per dozen via USPS for $7.95
Thats where i get all my files, Always great to deal with. Thanks Bailey's

smalldog

I've never had a problem on my chains using stihl files, but I only file my chains. My neighbor pays some yahoo to sharpen his chains(if you could call it that), then wants me to fix them with a file. The problem is the cutters get hardened some from the yahoo. It sure is a good way to dull a file.....not using MY files, thankgoodness.
Hang in there body...just a little further to go.

CTL logger

Quote from: smalldog on January 07, 2013, 11:27:11 PM
I've never had a problem on my chains using stihl files, but I only file my chains. My neighbor pays some yahoo to sharpen his chains(if you could call it that), then wants me to fix them with a file. The problem is the cutters get hardened some from the yahoo. It sure is a good way to dull a file.....not using MY files, thankgoodness.

The yahoo is pushing so hard on grinder he is hardening the tooth I'm surprised your file can do anything with the chain, I wouldn't waste my time or files fixing the Yahoo's mistakes.

bandmiller2

I don't know about you guys but I can hardly bring myself to throw away[junk] a dull file.If your fileing a material that tends to gum a file rub it with a little chalk first. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

petefrom bearswamp

Bailey's has Pferd on sale for 12.99 right now.
Pete
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

lowpolyjoe

Great thread.  I never realized there was such a difference between file brands until i matched my harbor freight specials against a Husquvarna file set.... don't know how the Husky file ranks on the overall file hierarchy, but it's worlds better than the HF garbage. 

Also didnt realize till a few months ago that files wear out to the point of being useless.  I had been cleaning my crappy file with a metal brush but it still wasn't doing much.  Then i saw in a youtube video some guy say not to waste your time using an old file when you could buy a new one for a dollar :)

I finally ordered a dozen files the other day... Pferd i think.  Can't wait to see how they compare to my previous (mostly frustrating) files.

Caloren

Another thing about files [that really doesn't pertain to this thread  ::) ] is that once you use them on steel they will not work as well on brass again. I used to build muzzle loading rifles for a hobby and kept a separate set of files just for brass.  :new_year:
Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

Dave VH

I was once told that if you hit a dull / dirty file with a blow torch that that would liven it back up.  Has anyone ever tried that, or heard of that? I haven't yet, I never remember at the right time
I cut it twice and it's still too short

beenthere

Do you think that would work on a dull bandsaw blade too?

Or the dull chainsaw teeth?   

Wonder what a blow torch could possibly do to bring a worn out file back to life? 
south central Wisconsin

thecfarm

When I go to the wood expo in Bangor I will be looking for those save edge files. Unless I can find a place that has free shipping.  :D

gspren

Quote from: Dave VH on January 09, 2013, 09:30:48 PM
I was once told that if you hit a dull / dirty file with a blow torch that that would liven it back up.  Has anyone ever tried that, or heard of that? I haven't yet, I never remember at the right time
The only way that I see that helping is if it is loaded with oily gunk you might burn it out although carburator cleaner would be better. If you get the file too hot you will ruin the temper.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

blackfoot griz

Glad I saw this thread...

Just ordered a box of files and some .404 chains!

Holmes

I just ordered the Pferd files  from Baileys along with a Rockman helmet system and an Echo360T.  All on sale .  I've not bought a new saw in 12 years. We'll see how the Echo works out. 8)  8)  8)
Think like a farmer.

petefrom bearswamp

Holmes
I am thinking that you will be pleased with an Echo.
I have an cs600p which is a very good saw, 60 cc.
Is the360T 360 cc?
I am thinking if it is, it may be small for lots of firewood cutting but great for limbing trees etc.
Pete
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Holmes

Yes it is 36.3cc. I've not had a top handle saw for 15 years and that was a 10 year old Poulan. It was a nice little saw. Looking forward to this saw, all the others are Stihls. I plan on doing a lot of forest cleaning in the next few years. I just started to gather logs to cut up to make a bridge over a stream. The abutment I found is only 7' wide about 4 ' above the stream , on a very old cart path. A bridge needs to be built, it's about 5000' into the woods. It will be a fun project. :)  :)
Think like a farmer.

JuniperBoss

I don't mean to mess up the topic here, but how long will one of the smallest Echo saws last? I need one purely for limbing, and nothing else. I'd like a super light saw that I can swing around all day. Will they last years doing full time, regular use?
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Holmes

I do not know but for the price ,$210 for a 330T, maybe you could try 1 and find out. This is a discontinued saw, the replacement saw for it the  355T? is almost $500
Think like a farmer.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: beenthere on January 09, 2013, 09:50:57 PM
Do you think that would work on a dull bandsaw blade too?

Or the dull chainsaw teeth?   

Wonder what a blow torch could possibly do to bring a worn out file back to life?

I suspect it would burn out any embedded crud in the file allowing it to get a bite again. Thin shavings would oxidize away before the teeth were harmed (much  :D ).
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

i know things are not built the way they was,but I have a Echo trimmer that I had I guess for 25 years and I had the starter replaced last year and I use that poor thing ALOT. That is all I have ever done to it beside the normal filters.I say I have a mile of stone walls to trim around,I use to use it on my grown up pasture. Normal for me to use it steady running 2-3-4 tanks of gas through it. I have a 152 Efco,that I won on here,I've used that quite a bit just for limbing. It's a real nice saw for that.

bandmiller2

Prehaps the files are the same as they have always been and the chains are getting harder,approaching "stihl" hardness.Chains must be held to "file hard" as its the most popular sharpening method.If all chains were ground they  could be made much harder and who knows how long they would hold an edge.Only a thought don't shoot. Frank C.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 03, 2013, 08:11:29 AM
Prehaps the files are the same as they have always been and the chains are getting harder,approaching "stihl" hardness.Chains must be held to "file hard" as its the most popular sharpening method.If all chains were ground they  could be made much harder and who knows how long they would hold an edge.Only a thought don't shoot. Frank C.

You know that could be Frank C :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

bandmiller2

Also I've heard of chemical sharpening files,I think its just an acid dip.Files do so much and are so cheap a fella might as well change them often,nothing[well almost] feels better then a new sharp file. Frank C.

barbender

Files and underwear, change them both often ;D I think if they made saw chain harder the teeth would break off from impacts. Harvester chain is almost exclusively grinder sharpened but it isn't any harder than regular saw chain.
Too many irons in the fire

proteus

Quote from: thecfarm on January 09, 2013, 09:55:11 PM
When I go to the wood expo in Bangor I will be looking for those save edge files. Unless I can find a place that has free shipping.  :D

I am always looking for a better file and would like to give SAVE EDGE  a try but a person needs to get more items together to make the shipping cost effective. Ordering them alone will double the price of the files. hmmmmmm sounds like a good reason to browse the BAILEY'S catalog 8) 
Greg

Thank You Sponsors!