iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

broken blades

Started by woodweasel, January 08, 2013, 11:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodweasel

Is it common for a blade to break, or get slung off? My old sawer would not let me stand on the left side of his mill for fear of this happening?  :P

isawlogs

Is it common, no, that being said they do break and they come out of the mill with some velocity.  :o  I also do not let anyone stand on the out bound side of my mill, even though I have a sawdust shoot that will stop a blade I have had one go through it and stick out three feet after a break.
  Blades will go around the wheels only a certain amount of time, stress builds up and micro cracks form and they break, metal fatigues after a while. We prolong the life of the blade by grinding the gullets and teeth but eventualy the cracks gets the better of the blade.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Migal

Quote from: isawlogs on January 08, 2013, 11:45:05 PM
Is it common, no, that being said they do break and they come out of the mill with some velocity.  :o  I also do not let anyone stand on the out bound side of my mill, even though I have a sawdust shoot that will stop a blade I have had one go through it and stick out three feet after a break.
  Blades will go around the wheels only a certain amount of time, stress builds up and micro cracks form and they break, metal fatigues after a while. We prolong the life of the blade by grinding the gullets and teeth but eventualy the cracks gets the better of the blade.

well said Left or Right I prefer spectators to stay behind the saw head due to Murphy's Law be Safe.
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Ianab

Common enough that you should keep the guards in place, and not stand close to the sawhead when it's cutting.  Usually the band breaks in a "nice" way and just rattles around inside the guard while you stop the mill. But random physics and Murphy's Law sometimes lets pieces fly out....

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ladylake

Most blades break. The only ones that don't are the ones I find cracked when sharpening and a few the get sharpened down to 1" without breaking.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

terrifictimbersllc

Not common but that doesn't matter.  In 12 yrs of sawing I've seen it happen once.  In my first year, blade literally shredded and ended up on the sawdust side in many pieces out as far as 20 ft. Would have been a practically new blade.  Don't know how the pieces escaped the housing,  but for that reason I tell people that's the danger side, and don't run the saw until that side is clear. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

I would also be concerned about pieces of wood,bark, knots coming out on the discharge side too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Warren

Quote from: Migal on January 08, 2013, 11:56:44 PM
Quote from: isawlogs on January 08, 2013, 11:45:05 PM

well said Left or Right I prefer spectators to stay behind the saw head due to Murphy's Law be Safe.

+1 ... I require everyone in the saw shed to be behind me and the sawhead when the blade is moving...
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

terrifictimbersllc

Those bits of wood sticking off the ends of logs because of incomplete chainsaw cuts, are also a convenient source of projectiles.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

No, it is not uncommon for a blade to break. But the whole blade slinging off? I would not say that is common.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

Last summer I had a blade break and completely exit the sawdust chute in one piece!  :o

The next thing I did to the mill was install new blade stoppers.

Now, remember blade stoppers don't necessarily stop all blades, but in most cases they do.

There are pictures posted on here showing blades that exited the blade housing, I'm sure someone will post a couple.

Be careful and don't get near the sawdust chute when the mill is running.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

woodweasel

Thanks fellows !! My old sawer had a hole in the corragated metal approx.20'
away from saw! He said it was from a blade!I had no reason to not believe
him!! Just wanted some feedback!!  :o  Daniel aka woodweasel

pineywoods

My mill has a sheet metal duct on the sawdust exit. It connects to a sawdust blower. I have seen pieces of broken blade punch a hole completely through that sheet metal. I never thought much about it until I installed a bicycle speedometer on the bandwheel. I was some surprised to see that the band is traveling 55 - 60 mph. If the blade is in the log when it breaks, it's usually a non-event, just noisy. The nasty breaks usually occur when the blade is up to speed, but not yet in the log, like jigging back for the next cut without idle down.
Be carefull, a broken band around a body part could ruin your day.. :o
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bogue Chitto

Don' stand on the right side ether.  That swinging debarker could do some bad flesh damage.

beenthere

Quote from: woodweasel on January 09, 2013, 10:59:27 AM
Thanks fellows !! My old sawer had a hole in the corragated metal approx.20'
away from saw! He said it was from a blade!I had no reason to not believe
him!! Just wanted some feedback!!  :o  Daniel aka woodweasel

Sounds like you are talking a circular sawmill, and not a bandmill.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I had one this past year that broke in two different places.  One piece was on the ground beyond the logs staged at the loader.  I have no idea what all took place to get it over there.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

Its called momentum  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

LeeB

I broke one yesterday and it is the first one that I broke that went nowhere. Didn't get stuck in the cut. No damage to the B57's. Just a pop and a broke blade. Never got that luck before.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

isawlogs

You're on a roll Lee!   :D

Marcel

Magicman

Yup, it all depends upon where the break is when it breaks.  If it is in the log, on the drive or driven wheel, or somewhere in between.  They can do nothing or really make a mess.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

It seems to me that it has been about 1/2 and 1/2.  Lately just before I enter the log. the blade has a slight ball up on the drive side of the mill.  Not much more than changing a blade, but still a pain. In the log is most definetly a pain.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Slab Slicer

My first break was a few weeks ago. I had sawed a bunch of Norway Spruce with this blade, and then started into a red oak for some bench slabs. Got about 2 feet into the log, and BANG!!!. The blade bunched up against the log, and a little in the mill head. It broke right on the weld. Luckily I was able to pull it out of the log very easily, and drop a new one in the mill head. I've had some issues with them popping off the wheels due to sap build up on the belts, but never a break. I hope this doesn't happen too often. :o
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Magicman

WM will replace blades that break in the weld.

pineywoods

Slab_slicer, I can just about guarantee you that every blade you have will break, some sooner, some later. Plan on it.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

Piney is right, however, once in a while you might get lucky and spot a cracked blade and change it before it does break.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!