iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you see sawmills being towed on the road?

Started by thecfarm, January 24, 2013, 10:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

It may be Orange but it ain't a pumpkin.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Approximately how many here has tags on your mill ?
Are they needed in your state ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

SawyerBrown

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 15, 2015, 05:57:27 PM
Yup and yup.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

ncsawyer

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 15, 2015, 05:57:27 PM

Don't need them here in NC.  Self contained, trailered equipment being moved from one job site to another do not need tags.  This includes light plants, welders etc. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

ScottInCabot

Considered a farm implement here....
It's insured up the wazoo though!

Cleaned, tuned, sharpened the Stihls today, and just sharpened the Jonsereds.....no milling today(thankfully), I needed a rest.

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

Chuck White

No plates required on a portable sawmill here in NY.

Lights are required!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom the Sawyer

Tags required in Kansas if mill (or any trailer) has a GVWR of 2000 lbs. or more (they do).  Subsequently, also requires USDOT registration for truck and mill if moved between states (in Kansas City area it happens all the time).

A couple of years ago I took the opportunity to tow my mill through town at 2-3 mph.  Local community parade, they put me behind a military contingent and in front of the Operation Lifesaver, train crushed car display, I guess they didn't have a Sawmill Division.

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

bkaimwood

What do you throw into the crown when you're towing a sawmill float??!!! Cookies???!!! Love it!, great idea...
bk

Kbeitz

Quote from: bkaimwood on November 16, 2015, 06:50:04 AM
What do you throw into the crown when you're towing a sawmill float??!!! Cookies???!!! Love it!, great idea...

Yep....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

garyfg

Saw a woodspliter on I30 the other day going about 70 mph. I don't think he knew or even thought about the wheel bearings.

beenthere

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 16, 2015, 07:22:40 AM
Quote from: bkaimwood on November 16, 2015, 06:50:04 AM

Yep....

I see those "cookies" as a product of Melissa Joy Co.
http://melissajoycookies.com/page/2/?blogsub=confirming

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DDobbs

I just saw a Timberking headed east on I-70
About a hour east of St.Louis just a little bit ago. I would guess it must of left KC mid day.
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

OlJarhead

In WA you must have tags and registration on trailer -- and I do :)

Had a stater follow me for a few miles Friday on my way home with the SMLT10....plate expired but I had the renewed reg in the cab with me...he didn't mess with me and I think was just trying to figure out what I was towing...

Only ever saw ONE mill being towed...looked like an older WM but couldn't make out what model.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

redprospector

I saw a Timberking being towed East of Tucson, AZ last week...every time I looked in my mirror.  ;D  8)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

mart

The only one I've ever seen being towed is mine. Seems odd because driving around rural Alaska, you see a lot of mills parked in yards.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

plowboyswr

Saw a Woodmizer headed south on I49 as I was headed north to work today. First time I've ever seen a mill on the road in these parts.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Bolivian Bluerose

The owner of a mill I have worked on for the last 3 years decided it was time to trade up. We had a 1979 LT40 and he traded up to a 1996 Super LT40.  The guys that picked up the old mill brought a large flatbed truck to haul it home on but for some reason they decided to pull it home behind a pickup. I heard a couple days later that they lost control of the trailer and rolled it in the ditch. It was a sad day for me because I put so much time in maintaining that mill but now I have another to maintain so am moving on.

alanh

Ive seen 3, there`s a guy across the river from me with a LT40, I`ve seen Dennis` in my yard a few years back, and then there`s mine that I got from a buddy after he put an axle under it. I put on and wired up tail, brake, and running lights last week.

Sixacresand

My mill is the only one that I have ever seen on the highway:  in the mirrors.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Not on the road, but I pass by many sawyers when I am traveling to "road trip" jobs.

Banjo picker

I have seen one.  If I had been driving I would have caught up to it.  Don't even know what kind it was.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WLC

Quote from: mart on February 22, 2016, 12:26:50 AM
The only one I've ever seen being towed is mine. Seems odd because driving around rural Alaska, you see a lot of mills parked in yards.

Same here, I've never seen another one on the road other than mine when I towed it home from the dealer.  Several sitting around various places, but never on the road being towed.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Magicman

For those of you that have never seen a sawmill being towed, watch I55 in Mississippi this afternoon. :)

red

We need GPS time of departure and destination, , then we will watch traffic cams . . have a great day Mr Magicman
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!