iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Show us your wood-hauling truck

Started by JuniperBoss, January 28, 2013, 03:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JuniperBoss

Why not have a thread where we show all of our firewood-hauling trucks. Pickups, dump trucks, atvs, you name it. Tips on how you make pickup racks and how you haul your wood is all good too. So, what do you got?
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

JuniperBoss

"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

JuniperBoss

This is the ole lumberjack special-a 1968 ford.

JuniperBoss

Here's how I made some stupid homemade racks. Just some sticks of green wood with old boards nailed to them. It holds a bit over 1/2 cord. I use this mainly to haul wood from out of the woods behind the house. I didn't make them any higher because I didn't want to push the old beast to it's limit!

thecfarm

I really can't drive a pick up on most of mine land and no way a 2 wheel drive would do it.  :D Too many rocks and uneven places. I live here now,so all my wood comes up kinda by the house to be split and sawed with my tractor.Than into the loader to be dumped up at the house. I use to have an '76 ¾ ton,heavy duty Ford to haul my firewood to my other house. Heavy duty was real good. As soon as I said heavy duty to the counter person they would flip over another 6-8 pages and charge me more money for the parts.  :o
That Ford looks real good shape being in the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

I usually use my beater 1986 1/2 ton chevy plow truck to haul wood. Its a real gem complete with invisible floors, busted back window, and lots of dents.

Occasionally I use my "good" truck to haul wood as my plow truck doesn't have plates or insurance on it. So when wood has to be hauled on a county road I'm forced to seek alternative transportation.

JuniperBoss

Quote from: thecfarm on January 29, 2013, 02:44:45 PM
That Ford looks real good shape being in the woods.
The gasoline engine has over 233,000 miles on it. It was bought used years ago for 400 bucks and may have never had an overhaul. It was given to me as a gift and it has been the greatest blessing. It has worked like a mule for me and never complains.

Logging logginglogging

I assume the missing back window is due to the wood hauling?....

chevytaHOE5674

Yeah bouncing wood took out the window. Actually this one is the 2nd one I've broke. But decided that the truck wasn't worth putting another window in. haha.

My good truck has a headache rack covering the back window for a good reason.

woodmills1

my 4500 may be the nicest vehicle I have ever owned,  Some 160 or so of them

47000 nearly toyota level trouble free miles
had many a Chevy with way more problems

can throw a cord or stack 1.5 with the rock body
put on the dumpster and 1.5 or 2 stacked

and remember I started in 1986 with a stihl 045, a maul, and a 1967 chevy 1/2 ton with rear coil springs and giant trailing arms that were not trailing cause they faced forward :D :D :D :D :D :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

justallan1

This is my going to town truck. I have several other trucks for on the ranch, but this is the only one with the power and dependability for going down the highway. This was just a small load for a friend.

fuzzybear

I got tired of packing wood so I built this monster to haul the whole tree out to the landing.  I can pull out a little over 1 cord at a time in tree length.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

JuniperBoss

It looks like it lifts the whole log up. Do you cut the tree into a log before you lift it up? You don't drag the whole tree along the ground do ya?

fuzzybear

Quote from: JuniperBoss on January 30, 2013, 01:09:53 PM
It looks like it lifts the whole log up. Do you cut the tree into a log before you lift it up? You don't drag the whole tree along the ground do ya?
I pull the whole tree. I cut standing dead spruce about 24" at butt 60' long. I just drop one, winch it up to the truck branches and all. The branches don't stay long at -20.  When I've got 3 trees winched up, I drag them out to the landing.  In about 20 min I have a cord of wood ready to buck up and load in the truck.  Green trees I pull 1 at a time.
FB

JuniperBoss

Ah, I see. I was thinking you would tear up the ground and vegetation like that. I suppose at -20 the ground is frozen or covered in snow so the branches break off and nothing can get torn up. I notice your front tires aren't chained. I assume the truck isn't 4wd. How do you get around in the winter and pull trees out in snow? Maybe it is 4wd, I just can't tell.

snowstorm

anyone that has a 97 or older f250 4x4 look the left front axle housing over real well. they were known to crack. most of the time it cracks in the front between the u bolts. if that tire isnt standing up straight it may be broken. new replacements are not available. a dana 60 is the answer and it bolts right in. just did one

fuzzybear

It's 4x4. I've never had snow deep enough to warrant chaining the front axle. 3' of snow is the max i've ever broken a trail through.   This old girl made a 150 km trip through the bush, with no road, pushing 2' of snow 75% of the way. Had to break open the trail and bring supplies to a camp. I've welded the rears so it's full time 4x4.  With granny low, it's hard to get stuck in the snow.  Now mud, that's a different story. ::)  I should add that this truck will NEVER see the road again.   The 350 was rebuilt by me and dyno'd out at 425hp.  This year I'm taking off the engine hoist and adding an adjustable height jin pole, for loading logs onto a semi.
  I have an s-10 4x4 that I'm tearing apart and rebuilding into a mini skidder. It  should use WAY less fuel.
FB

NWP

The Pete has removable bunks on the trailer to haul equipment or palletized firewood.

Both pickups have 8.1L gas engines and Allison automatic transmissions.  Both dump trailers are 12' and hold exactly 2 cords when we stack a row across the back up to the top and dump the rest in loose.

The gooseneck dump is 16'.  We use it mainly for mulch, but sometimes firewood.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

justallan1

Quote from: snowstorm on January 30, 2013, 05:09:49 PM
anyone that has a 97 or older f250 4x4 look the left front axle housing over real well. they were known to crack. most of the time it cracks in the front between the u bolts. if that tire isnt standing up straight it may be broken. new replacements are not available. a dana 60 is the answer and it bolts right in. just did one
The first one I had seen, I blamed the kid driving. I went out to my junk pile to grab one and it was cracked also. Since then I take a look periodically at the last 2 that the ranch is using and my own.
The one bad plan on a Ford! I've replaced a few of them.

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on January 29, 2013, 03:48:04 PM
Yeah bouncing wood took out the window. Actually this one is the 2nd one I've broke. But decided that the truck wasn't worth putting another window in. haha.

My good truck has a headache rack covering the back window for a good reason.

You have no idea how many back windows I have broken that way.... No i have gotten a bit smarter in my old age and put a piece of plywood up...

JuniperBoss

On my racks on the other truck (don't have a picture now) I have a piece of steel wire mesh that is tied to the racks, so the wood can't fly into the window.

Logging logginglogging

Yeah for me its when i am loading and i am only going to toss the wood in "easy".
The one thng leads to another and I have a piece of wood sitting in the passenger seat.

justallan1

I actually have a custom headache rack for my truck, but instead use the piece of diamond plate. I didn't plan to use this truck for hauling wood, that's just how things work out sometimes.

JuniperBoss

Here is the other wood-hauling truck. It is going to be mostly for deliveries. 
The racks are in progress. Here is one side, all painted up. Why the yellow? Uh... just because!

Thank You Sponsors!