The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: "Siberian house" of pine thermal.  (Read 7015 times)

Offline serg

• http://www.vacuums.ru
    • Share Post
    • www.vacuums.ru
Re: "Siberian house" of pine thermal.
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2013, 01:24:30 PM »
Thank you. We do new experiments, rezultataet report on the forum.
Serg

Offline Thehardway

• Doin' it the hard way!
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2013, 09:47:39 AM »
Serg,

Thanks for sharing your experience with this process.  Typical North American log homes use solid logs only for the outside shell and not for interior division walls.   Non load bearing interior walls are usually done with 2"x4" dimensional SPF framing lumber.   Using solid logs for interior walls would be questionable economically because of  labor costs for assembling, boring for electrical wiring and plumbing interior.  Most floor systems are not engineered for the increased weight of log interior walls either.  We like to have free spanning basement areas.  That said I think it is an interesting concept.  It needs to be further explored.

I am unaware of any US or Canadian regulation that would prevent the use of your logs for building in the manner you have shown.  Any strength reduction due to heating would be offset by the fact that in your building style there is no deflection.  All walls are built with logs in compression.  Strength would not be a factor unless the Thermologs were sawn into dimensional lumber after drying.

As to laminated logs, there are very few manufacturers using laminated log construction here due to cost reasons. ( I can think of only one)

We have a large market for structural laminated wood products that come in many shapes sizes and purposes.  Here are a few:

Glulam-  Typically made from multiple layers of KD dimensional lumber layered end to end in a Phenolic Resin to produce beams for long spans.

Fingerjointed lumber- Short pieces of KD wood machined at ends, glued and fitted to form dimensional lumber trim, and moldings that are without knots or surface defects and are more dimensionally stable than solid lumber and easily painted.  Use of lower quality stock and waste cut off product makes up for the difference in machining and laminating expense.

LVL-  Laminated Veneer Lumber.  Multiple thin layers of veneer lumber used to make stiffer and stronger beams for longer spans than can be achieved with solid sawn lumber

LSL- Laminated Strand Lumber.  Many strands of wood fiber laid up in a glue resin to form a solid peice.  Utilizes 100% of wood stock while providing a stronger and more stable product. (or so they say)

CLT- Cross Laminated Timber.  This is the latest introduction into the North American market in terms of laminated wood product and it is yet to be seen if it will gain acceptance and widespread use.  Complete, prefabricated solid wood wall and floor panels up to 12" thick are made using multiple layers of laminated lumber.  Think plywood on a giant scale. 10' X 40'X 12" Sheets with plys 1.38" thick each.

A lot of our lumber here in the southeastern US is Southern Yellow Pine.  I am not sure it would respond well to your drying system as it often exhibits spiral grain and has a tendency to twist as it dries.  Do any of the species you work with have this problem?

As for surface laminating spruce or fir Thermologs with hardwoods such as Oak, I would be concerned with stability due to different expansion/contraction characteristics between the woods.  This could cause warping or bending and there would be little advantage over our LVL or LSL products which could be veneered with a hardwood veneer for aesthetic purposes.

I think the CLT market could use a product dried in the manner you describe.

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2013, 07:39:45 PM »
Such a small world that the some of the same TF construction is used such a far distance.
Did i understand the wood has increased longivity in the outdoors?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline serg

• http://www.vacuums.ru
    • Share Post
    • www.vacuums.ru
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 10:21:02 PM »
Hello!
Translation made ​​Arthur, thank you.
Thehardway
Thank you for the useful info of wooden housebuilding technology in US.  Frame housebuilding in Russia is relatively new but it more and more people chose it every year. By ages here in Russia wooden houses have been cutted of natural moisture logs by hands. Such half-fabricated house named "srub" have been curing for 2-3 years just to let the logs to dry and shrink. After this builders fill gaps between logs by flax.
 The glulam lumber became alternative. But it is expensive in Russia as well in US. We attend to dry the logs with bark due to  timber walls popularity here. HT timbers allow to populate the house just after installation without waiting for 2-3 yers. No need to fill gaps because there are no gaps and cracks. No need to protect wood against fungus and insects. The price of dry and HT logs is cheaper then glulam.
I think the qualitative multipurpose goods  based on composite materials used HT wood have to present at the market. Some years ago I experimented to glue up HT and natural dried wood. Good results I guess. I put this glulam sample  into water, than freezed it and heated up to 130 Celsius in sauna. Several circles during one month. The glue seam passed this and HT wood looks better after such extreme.On photo you can see birch plywood after HT. Glue is intact, no lamination,shrinking is 2-3 mm.
Now I deal with South Crimea pine. It also have some structural drawbacks. Inform the result at Forum later. Finally I'm sure it's possible to use such a composite material for interior and exterior trimming. As well it's possible to make hollow house panels. HT wood is excellent for basement partitions.  LVL made of HT spruce have to increase strength capacity.
Stephen1
My conclusion: HT wood is better then normal in several positions. The main ones are dimensional stability, biostability, nice color through full deepness, hardness increasing, lesser moisture absorption and swelling resistance.
Serg

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Framing plans for Jack Sobon's "Build a Classic Timber-Framed House"

Started by Lindrith on Timber Framing/Log construction

12 Replies
Last post January 24, 2007, 10:57:26 AM
by Jim_Rogers
xx
"Curly Maple" burned down his house today.

Started by Daren on General Board

4 Replies
Last post March 07, 2006, 11:07:20 AM
by Coon
xx
"Sweet N Sour" House Finish?

Started by FrankLad on Timber Framing/Log construction

25 Replies
Last post October 07, 2008, 12:08:59 PM
by FrankLad
xx
1- Twisted Sister or "Walnutz!" and 2- "Pre-Bent" or "Saw Mill Nightmare?

Started by MbfVA on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post September 08, 2017, 12:33:17 PM
by MbfVA