The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: New wood stove  (Read 2397 times)

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: New wood stove
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 11:45:21 PM »
bill, I don't think you need the grates, just my opinion.  My main concern was the deflector above the door.  the seals are a good idea but not that critical if you have a good draw.  the heat can cause some warp on the doors but a controlled burn can reduce this.  Angle Iron tacked in to fit bricks would help but here again, not completely necessary.  As far as I can tell, I would add a 1/8" deflector just above your door opening, going in about 4" or so at a slight angle up, for the length of the opening.  Tack it in and try it. It can always be removed if not welded to much pretty easily, I think you will like it and leave it.  Or just add some stock to the opening, reducing the opening, keeping the diverter, and try that,  air, and smoke moves around and tries to find the least resistance.  This might be what is happening.  All said, warm is better than cold in the winter, aye? david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline CTYank

• Ain't he cute?
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 03:59:18 AM »
Might want to weld some angle clips around the inner sides, to hold 1" firebrick. High combustion temps -> more complete combustion, and much longer lasting steel.

In a similar vein, preheated air discharge ABOVE the fire, like on an angled baffle, would turn much more of the fuel into heat output. Below the fire, not so much.

Purely trying to be helpful. MIG?
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Offline rooster 58

• Senior Member x2
  • GRIZ, the sawmill mgr.
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 06:58:22 AM »
    When I built my stove, I stood 1 1/2" firebrick up around the perimeter of the box. Then I placed 2-3 in" of sand in the bottom, followed by 1 1/2" fire brick floor on top of sand. I got lucky because the bricks really didn't need cut much. Been using this stove for years, first as my camp, and now my home. The bricks never moved or cracked, even without retainers or anything to hold them.

That's an awesome looking stove by the way 8)

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2013, 07:41:09 AM »
I've been in a few garages where a box fan was used to move the heat. Might be $15 now? May have a hard time finding one this time of year. They will move some air.We had a green house for a few years and used them to move the air around. They was cheap. We brought 4 of them. I told the wife they won't last long. Once we turned them on they were on until we closed. Just about on from Feb to June. We still have them! We used them for 3 seasons.Looks like you used all new metal. Do you know about how much it all cost? I might build one too.  ;D  When I get to it.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2013, 08:56:49 AM »
Bill I wanted to post a pic last night of my deflector but I had a hot fire going at the time, here is a shot of how mine is, inside and above the opening, the length of the door opening. 

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2013, 09:55:26 AM »
If I remember corectly when I was a kid our heatrola in the living room had a swinging flap covering about a third of the door opeming.  Allowed bigger wood to go in and still have the baffel.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 07:16:46 PM »
A lot of older stoves had as winged flap .It also helps if the draft is as low as the bottom of the fire rather than over it .I mean it will still draw but just blows more smoke when the door is opened .

Grates won't do you much good burning wood unless you have an ash pan .Besides once you get about an inch or so of ash in the bottom it acts like an insulator .

Offline Bill Gaiche

• Senior Member x2
  • Home built bandsaw, Kioti DK4510. Sthil 211&361
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 12:04:25 PM »
drobertson, I cut a 6"x3/16" the width of the stove. Attached it to the front lip and angled it down toward the back of the box yesterday morning. Still have a plenty of room to load the wood. I removed the 6" metal that I had installed earlier to the top front to make the opening smaller. I believe this deflector will make it work better now. The reason I installed the grates was , when building a new fire it seems to help keep the wood up some off the bottom so it can get better air to the fire. If the deflector isn't enough I can add a few more inches to it and have it hinged so I can swing it up out of the way while loading with wood. The air vents in the front lets the air hit pretty much toward the middle and down of the fire. If needed I can add a little deflector to the inside of the door to flow the air down toward the bottom.  It worked pretty good yesterday. Just need to burn more wood and see how it goes. Thanks again for your help. bg

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Best wood stove for me?

Started by Wedgebanger on Firewood and Wood Heating

60 Replies
Last post December 18, 2019, 12:01:18 PM
by doc henderson
xx
CB wood stove

Started by coxy on Firewood and Wood Heating

1 Replies
Last post September 30, 2016, 08:25:54 PM
by DDW_OR