iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thieves again...Does it never end?? AGAIN !!!

Started by Magicman, February 08, 2013, 09:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Haylow

I wonder if you had a sign made saying property protected by video surveillance and then place a fake camera in view but not so easy to reach. You could even put your solar light on the same post. I would bet money they will be back.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Delawhere Jack

Where I keep my mill there is a big problem with "scrappers". Mostly drug addicts who will take any piece of metal they can carry away. They busted up the dash on the company van for a factory AM/FM radio, worth all of about nothing.

Last year the store was broken into and they took a half dozen window air conditioners. Cameras went up, highly visible under the eaves on each corner of the building. So far that has worked.

Side note. One day last fall a guy was walking down the road drunk. He decided that the cellar door display on the sidewalk would be  a good place to lay down and pass out for a while. He set down the bag he was carrying with a six pack in it. A few minutes later a kid rides by on a bike. The kid turns around, rides back and takes the beer. All caught on video.... :(

Happycamper

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

Woodey

MagicMan,
Sorry to hear your having to deal with this.
Install some game cameras. They take a lot of pictures.
Check with neighbors to see if they have the any issue or might have seen someone lurking around your place.

I had a 12" porter cable chop saw stole off my back porch. I left it out overnight while making some repairs on my pump shed. I called the police they come out took a report.
He told me that the bums take what they can by walking though peoples property. If they don't BREAK and ENTER it is just a slap on the wrist. What upset me the most was the fact I just put a brand new 12" forrest blade the chop saw and made about 5 cuts. :'(

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

blackfoot griz

MM,
Sorry to hear of your problems.
My fear is that they will be back again and again because they have already gotten away with
what they've done so far.  You certainly shouldn't have to constantly worry about what is damaged, missing
whenever you think of your cabin.

I work in the insurance business and clearly, unoccupied properties are becoming more expensive--if not impossible to insure because loosers will tear the walls out to get a few bucks worth of copper. At some point if you end up having to file a claim on your cabin for the damage these punks have done, you might find that the insurance company may not renew coverage.

I am in agreement with Kilgrosh.  You've worked too hard on your cabin to just sit back and take it on the chin!
Wish I was closer to MS...I'd volunteer my time for security detail!

Magicman

Reply #34 shows why I can not depend upon anything powered.

I will be building a couple of birdhouses.  One for the game cam and one for the bluebirds.

Since I needed more motion lights anyway, I ordered 5 battery/solar powered lights yesterday.  I will add three fake surveillance cameras with the blinking LED which should prove to be a distraction for any future "visitors".  I had already seen the need for a driveway alarm with two sending units which will alert us while we are there.

The above will replace some items that were removed for the Cabin Addition, plus an old camera and motion light that had gone neglected.  I guess what I will be doing is tightening up the loose ends.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

How close are neighbors and are they having problems too?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up   Problem solved  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

One more thing,lucky they did not steal or destroy more than they did.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

What is this "neighbor" thing.   :D :D

Seriously, here it is YOYO, (you're on your own) which also includes law enforcement.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rooster 58

Lynn, So sorry that you're having trouble like this. It's a DanGed shame that you have to put up with this and can't even rely on the law for help.
    I'm very fortunate here. I live at the very edge of a natl forest and it is very rural here. Nearly everyone around me has been broken into but knock on wood I never have

Again, I hope the steps you're taking will ward off any further malevolence to you and your property

Al_Smith

If that cabin is out where the hoot owls romance the chickens there probabley are no neighbors .Even if there were and even if they saw anything is no assurity  they would fess up .

JohnM

Set gun? ???  Too much? ;) :D

Sorry to hear it MM.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Peter Drouin

to bad the law won't do there job, you did there job[the proof] with the pics you have, In NH the law would be all over that
I do wish you well :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

chain

We have a friend that went through all what you're experiencing MM, he found just the right person who wanted to live out in the boonies and be the caretaker, most all vandalism stopped very quickly.

My friend's uncle was a wealthy gentleman who had a large log clubhouse with trout spring and lake. Poachers came in by the droves until he employed a 'hired-hand' to keep up the place. Years later, the Government bought the whole place as it was located near a National Scenic River, even the furnishings were left, owner just took the check and walked out.

My best friend and I spent many a week-end fishing and hunting and used the place often. Many years later, my wife and I were invited to a house -party of which the host was selling some goods. I kept staring at a game table that looked so familiar as I had played chess and checkers many a rainy day on a similar table at the lake cabin! i asked the hostess about the table...she said ,"oh, my husband went up to the old lake place one day and found this table in the cabin, everything else had been taken so he brought it here." :o

Raider Bill

Post this picture all around the property with the caption   "I'm watching you!"  :D

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

And I thought the foot picture was bad.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ely

in that situation only you can make the difference, when you have had enough you will make the change.
i personally refuse to live as a hostage. those around know better than to do anything to our family... so far.
i too have an alarm/security system, it consists of 1 seventyone year old father that hears pretty well and makes rash decisions very hastily. he is never out of arms reach of various firearms.
in these times, if you are to live unmolested, you have to be prepared to make folks think you dont care if the sun comes up tomorrow.

Chuck White

You could get one of those "dog alarms"!

You know, the one that sounds like a house full of dogs when the door rattles!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

isawlogs

Oh thanks Bill, I woke up from a nap only to see that pic pop up...  :o
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

Quote from: isawlogs on February 11, 2013, 02:33:51 PM
  Oh thanks Bill, I woke up from a nap only to see that pic pop up...  :o

Did it scare you?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Cypressstump

Quote from: Raider Bill on February 11, 2013, 08:31:42 AM
Post this picture all around the property with the caption   "I'm watching you!"  :D

And here I thought this here was a PG rated Site,,, now we got nekkid saywers sending pictures of themsleves......... :D      Raider, maybe captioned " I'll be waiting for you".... oughta do the trick. ;D
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Magicman

He came back !!   Maybe looking for his bolt cutters or either doing some scouting to see what else to get. 

My tracks as well as the golf car tracks were "mudded" over but "his" tracks are crisp and distinct.

I also know that he rode a bicycle.

I did not notice anything missing....this time.   

Thank You Sponsors!