iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many of you like to work on your mill?

Started by HaroldSiefke, February 18, 2013, 10:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HaroldSiefke

My mill is pretty basic so when I get it to the shop I keep adding thing on. I just re-powered it with a 20.5 robin subaru. I think that's going to be great 8) The motor fit pretty well. Had to change only a few things. Now all I have to do is plumb in my pineywoods turner and I will be back milling. I am going to use the hydraulics of my wood splitter to power the turner. I put two quick disconnects on it. Does anyone know if I will have to put a shut off valve on the pressure side to make this work? The shut off valve would go after the T so I can shut off the wood splitter hydraulics.   
Harold

drobertson

I don't mind working on the mill, pretty much the only way to keep going when something happens, but would rather just keep sawing,  not sure about your valve,  someone else should help soon.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

I enjoy working on my mill, especially verifying the alignment.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

I don't always enjoy it but if you want to keep using it, you must do what needs done. Today I was going to buy a new radiator bracket that had broken. I rewelded it twice before. WM wanted $43 for it and even the guy on the phone said that was really high for a twisted piece of metal with a couple of holes. I had to agree and made a new one from a piece of flatbar. Looks like crap but works just fine. The flatbar was  piece of scrap I had picked up somewhere.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bandmill Bandit

My wife claims I work on it more than I work with it.

She is known to exaggerate now and then!
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

I do not like to have to work on the sawmill.  I'd rather be sawing.

LeeB, I finally welded enough gusset on that bracket that it is now afraid to break.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pyrocasto

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on February 18, 2013, 10:47:45 PM
My wife claims I work on it more than I work with it.

She is known to exaggerate now ant then!

That's the truth with me, but I did build my mill.  :D I very much enjoy working on the mill when it's adding on, but not so much when it's fixing something broken. Just added bearings in the back stops, should have done that long ago. Also just added a electric solenoid for the lube, so it turns on and off automatically. No more coming in the next day to a puddle of lube when I forget. Next is the homemade "setworks".

pineywoods

Harold, on the shut-off valve question, I'm assuming you just T'd into the output of the pump and the return line with 2 hoses going to the turner control valve bank. If that's correct, then yes, you need a shutoff valve on the inlet to the log splitter valve. Otherwise, oil will flow from the pump, through the splitter valve, and back to the tank. There won't be any pressure going to the turner. Be sure to hook up the hoses to the turner before closing that cut-off valve.

To answer your other question, I'm as much a tinkerer as I am a sawyer. My mill started life as a basic mizer manual lt40G18. It now has a kawasaki liquid cooled motor, home-made hydraulics, home-made auto-clutch (just flip a switch), home-made remote console, and a sawdust blower system. The woodmizer service guy's won't touch it  ;D I modified my wm blade tooth setter so it sets both left and right teeth at the same time, and the current project is to upgrade the blade sharpener. I don't have much choice about working on the mill.  Way back in the dim dark past, some voodo witch put a curse on my family that is passed down from generation to generation. Anything we own has to be worked on before you can use it. ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

kelLOGg

Quote from: pineywoods on February 18, 2013, 10:59:46 PM
Anything we own has to be worked on before you can use it. ::)

Amen to that for me. I bought the manual MP32 and made mods like I wanted them. It may not be "better" but it is like I want it.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bandmiller2

Hal,before you buy an expensive high pressure shutoff valve consider a spool type diverter valve their quite cheap and made for what you want to do.Push pull and you can have pressure to ether the splitter or mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Berggie

I like to build and work on my mill just as much as sawing, I built every part of my mill so far and enjoy all of it.
Home built/modified Linn 1900, Dolmar saw, farmall H with loader. Log rite.

mmartone

I dont like to work on the mill at all, I was in the dumps when the chain broke the other day. I love to mill, I hate to work on it. I know it needs and alignment tuneup but am putting it off.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Solomon

I enjoy working on my mill.  Although I don't have much trouble with it.
I replaced a flow divider and I do some sanding and painting on it to keep it looking new.   I would like to upgrade the pump to maybe 14 gallons per minute. The one on it now is a 9 gallon.  After 6 years I'd like it to move tha cylinders a little faster.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

petefrom bearswamp

Despise working on it, but is necessary unless it is something major.
I am only 1 hr from Hannibal so go there when necessary.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ocklawahaboy

My time with the mill is so limited, I hate putting wrenches instead of logs to it.  I've had to do a few things and need to do a few more.  Really want to design a manual toe board for it.  I have it mostly figured out but not quite.

Buck

THAT'S IT!!

I don't have much choice about working on the mill.  Way back in the dim dark past, some voodo witch put a curse on my family that is passed down from generation to generation. Anything we own has to be worked on before you can use it. ::)
[/quote]

I suffer from the same curse! ;) ;)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

John Bartley

Quote from: Magicman on February 18, 2013, 10:52:23 PM
I do not like to have to work on the sawmill.  I'd rather be sawing.

Yup, what he said!!
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Cedarman

If my mill is not moving back and forth, we are not making money.
But, just because the mill is moving back and does not mean we are making money.
Anything that takes away from productivity, I do not like.
I don't dislike working on the mill.  It is a mental thing.  I try to find enjoyment in whatever I am doing.
If someone hired me to work on their mill, I would enjoy it.
I enjoy problem solving , rather than fixing the problem after it is found.  Such as figuring out that the reason the mill was sawing out of square, even though the square said 3 corners were square.  The fourth was out of square which is geometrically impossible, thus indicating the square was not square.  In this case, get a new square and realign the mill, which I let the sawyer do after the bad square ate his lunch.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

millwright

If you were to hook the pressure side of the turner into the tank return of the splitter you could eliminate the need for a shut off valve.

saxon0364

Quote from: pineywoods on February 18, 2013, 10:59:46 PM
Way back in the dim dark past, some voodo witch put a curse on my family that is passed down from generation to generation. Anything we own has to be worked on before you can use it. ::)

I think your great great granddad and mine ticked off the same witch or something. :-\
Nothing wrong with quiet.

Tree Feller

I don't enjoy working on anything I own. I don't even change the oil in my truck, I take it to a oil-changing place.

Forced repairs are especially aggravating to me. Be it a lawnmower, ATV, boat, tiller, chainsaw or sawmill, I don't keep equipment that demands constant repairs. Routine maintenance should take care of wear items. Anything else is just a pita.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

HaroldSiefke

Well got pineywoods turner plumbing almost done. Thanks to the man him self. I used allot of used parts. So I ended up only buying the three cylinders new. I have less then 300 dollars in it. I got most of my parts off old farm equipment. It seems to function really well off the log splitter. I have to hang lines and finnish putting the claw part on. The next thing is going to be power back stops. Mine has pocket that a tube slide down in. Has anyone made hydraulic back stops for there mill? If you have pitchers of them would be great. If not i will copy the wood-mizer ones that pineywoods has modified.
Harold

Peter Drouin

I will, I spend to much money on all the things I have  not take care of it :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SPD748

Well,

'Working' on my mill is, at least for me, what it's all been about! Oh, there's an occasional board or two :D

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SPD748 on February 20, 2013, 09:58:05 AM
Well,

'Working' on my mill is, at least for me, what it's all been about! Oh, there's an occasional board or two :D

-lee

;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!