iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beekeeping ?

Started by bama20a, March 18, 2013, 09:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

bama20a,we all need to dream. 200 hives?  :o  That is a lot.Were they in the same area?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LaneC

Just a tip here. There is a gentleman on you tube who is an excellent teacher and also has plans and all. He is "the fat bee man" He answers a lot of questions and is very very knowledgeable. The name is funny but he really has a lot of things that he teaches in beekeeping, Just a source to help anyone interested.
Man makes plans and God smiles

woodsteach

Look up the barefoot beekeeper if you are interested.  He has FREE plans for a Top Bar Beehive. 

I've built 4 TBH's and have two out, ready, and waiting for packages to come later this month!  I will either sell the other two or just have them ready in case I get a call on a swarm or two!
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

mesquite buckeye

I used to have a few hives in Tucson. Really nice mesquite and palo verde honey. Used to be we just had to deal with American foulbrood and wax moths. Then came acarine mite, varroa mite and africanized bees from Mexico. It got to be so much work keeping the colonies healthy, what was already marginal became just not worth it. Then my colony of africanized bees decided to mass attack my daughter in the yard, swelled her face shut and made her sick for several days. Time to get rid of them before one of my neighbors sued me. :(

I do miss the bees and the honey, though. :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

wildbill

we checked our 4 hives this morning.  wasnt sure what to expect after this harsh florida winter.  it got down to the 40's one night :)  :snowman:

all 4 hives are doing great.  I need to buy some foundation and make some honey supers.  ill be able to harvest 2 hives in a month or two and the other two i will leave until fall.

i almost forgot...

my daughter got stung on the arm for the first time today.  She said she is glad that bee is dead so it cant sting anyone else because it was mean.  Raider Bill was stung while standing about 40 feet from the hive.  Bees like him :) :)
Raider Bill's favorite son

bama20a

Quote from: thecfarm on March 10, 2014, 09:42:34 AM
bama20a,we all need to dream. 200 hives?  :o  That is a lot.Were they in the same area?
[
Sorry having got back sooner,Just got in.
No the 200 wasn't in the same area,I had them in several diff- places,My son lived in Mississippi,at the time & I had a lot over their. Mark,,,,,,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Raider Bill

I don't understand why but bees will fly 50 feet past a crowd to sting me.

One thing though is my aches and pains feel better after a couple stings.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

mesquite buckeye

They are helping you. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

terry f

My wife goes through a lot of honey, with the price it is, there must be a lot of rich beekeepers.

mesquite buckeye

If you figure it out by the hour and take off expenses, not quite so rich as you might think. :-\

Thank You Sponsors!