The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Re: Tamarack availability, cost, and buyers  (Read 10742 times)

Offline Ron Wenrich

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
Re: Tamarack availability, cost, and buyers
« on: January 24, 2001, 03:05:31 PM »
How about Japanese larch?

I have seen only scattered larch stands in my area of Pennsylvania.  However, they were using them in strip mine reclamation.  I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Offline Larch Man

• looking for larch/tamarack information
    • Share Post
    • Natural Products From the Chemistry of Trees
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2001, 03:25:21 PM »
Ron,
We have some samples of a hybrid larch from Plum Creek Timber Co.in Maine. I think it is a cross between Japanese and European larch. It grows fast but, they don't have it the quantities that we need for commercial extraction at this time. Thanks for your reply.
Tim Ryan

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2001, 04:46:32 PM »
Some Tamarack is harvested in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Prices run from a low of $4.80/cord -to a high of $30.00/cord with an average of $23.28/cord. Contact the Michigan DNR Forest Management Division; Ottawa & Hiawatha National Forests; and Timber Producers in Upper Peninsula Counties.
~Ron

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
  • I know that I do not know.
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2001, 04:51:49 PM »
I know there are some plantings of european larch in the eastern U.P. The Eastern U.P. has large areas of tamarack.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life.
Ezekiel 22:30

Offline L. Wakefield

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2001, 07:19:46 PM »
Tamarack definitely grows abundantly in Maine. I would be interested in hearing more about some of those non-timber uses you mention- dietary supplements and whatever else.
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Offline Bill Johnson

• Forest Tech
  • Location: Dobie. That's between Kirkland Lake and Quebec border
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2001, 04:43:59 AM »
Tim
According to my silvics manual Tamarack (larix larincina) grows from Newfoundland to the Yukon and extends south in the McKenzie River drainage to northeastern British Columbia and central Alberta;then east to southern Manitoba, southern Minnesota, southern Wisconsin, northeastern Illinois, northern Indiana, northern Ohio and northern Pennsylvania, northwestern New Jersey, northern Connecticut, and Maine and locally in western Maryland, West Virginia, and Long Island. It also occurs in parts of Alaska.(Source Silvics of Forest Trees of the United States 1975 reprinting)
There are 10 species of larch, but this one seems to be the most wide spread one, in my neck of the world (N. Ont) there is not much demand for the this tree, though some is sawn at the local mills for lumber and it has been used for railway ties, and fence posts.
Hope this helps a bit
Bill

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2001, 01:53:55 PM »
Hey Larch Man, you kinda left us hanging here! some of us "non-forester" types are interested in the "compound" in larch and more details on the products that are derived from it.

Is it the same compound that makes tamarack such a durable wood when it comes to outdoor exposure?

Offline Larch Man

• Share Post
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2001, 03:51:24 PM »
Jeff,
I didn't mean to leave anyone in Limbo. The compound in larch that we extract is called Arabinogalactan. We call it AG. You can find out a great deal about it's benefits and uses by checking out our website.
It's www.larex.com
Let me know if you need any further info after viewing our site and I'll do my best to get it to you.

Tim Ryan

Offline Larch Man

• Share Post
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2001, 03:53:23 PM »
Jeff,
I didn't mean to leave anyone in Limbo. The compound in larch that we extract is called Arabinogalactan. We call it AG. You can find out a great deal about it's benefits and uses by checking out our website.
It's www.larex.com
Let me know if you need any further info after viewing our site and I'll do my best to get it to you.

Tim Ryan

Offline L. Wakefield

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2001, 04:56:12 PM »
   So okay, in my persona as resinwoman (you will remember me going on and on about balsam poplar), I have FINALLY taken the bait on this tamarack thread. I had looked very briefly at the www.larex.com site about 2 weeks ago..but just checked it again tonight, and became interested enough to look in the Merck Index, and then on alta vista. Nothing in the Merck, but Alta vista turned up- as about the 3rd reference- a page from The Good Scents Company, on resinoids.. And arabinogalactam is listed there- as a componenet of the European larch, but clearly you are saying the same thing is obtainable from the tamarack. It mentions it as a pleasant fixative (always an interest of mine as I work in perfumery and blending)- and the larex site has this stuff with lo! many applications- emollient as well as nutritive, dietary fiber, and immune stimulant. I am a definite proponent of NTFP knowledge base- and now I'm wondering how best to extract this stuff. TGSC mentions it as a turpentine or a gum- and my experience with white pine and pinyon pine is simply to go to an old tree wound and pry off the resin 'tears'. Is that what one would do with the tamarack, or would it be more useful to do steam distillation of wood, dry distillation of wood, or steam distillation of the deciduous green parts? I will look at further references, but would appreciate any hints in this direction.
         Louise W.
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Offline Larch Man

• Share Post
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2001, 07:28:25 AM »
Louise,
I'm so glad that you've "taken the bait" on the health and other benefits of arabinogalactan from tamarack and larch. I have good news and bad news for you. The bad news is that our extraction process is proprietary and patented so if I told you how to extract it, I'd have to terminate you and I don't want that on my conscience. The good news is that you can purchase the extract from us!!!
The AG is found in the heartwood and in tamarack it is most concentrated in the upper portions of the tree. Just the opposite in western larch. AG is found in many plant species, however, not in sufficient quantities for commercial extraction. It is the active ingredient in echinacea. AG from western larch is 2 to 3 times more effective in boosting immune function than echinacea per a U. of Minnesota study.
Western larch has higher concentrations than tamarack, but tamarack is wider ranging and less expensive to obtain. Siberian and Mongolian larch show similarities to western larch. Let me know if I can provide anything further
Tim
Tim Ryan

Offline Forester Frank

• The race is not always to the swift..., but to those who keep running.
    • Share Post
    • G.P.  Gaylord Woodlands
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2001, 08:30:21 AM »
Tim and others:

I visited the LAREX site also and found it quite interesting. In fact I requested (via email) a sample bottle of AG to use in my forest products display. Maybe you could help me out here too.

Is AG (dietary supplement) avaibable in your local Walgreen's or Rite-Aid yet?

I am also wondering if your conmpany has any information on the use of Taxol (from pacific yew)?

And one more item. How close are you to going to market with all this stuff? Do you have any competitors yet? What is the stock symbol for LAREX?

:)
Forester Frank

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2001, 09:52:45 AM »
Management receives 25% on dividends earned on all successful stock deals made from information acquired on this board.;D

Offline Larch Man

• Share Post
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2001, 02:57:24 PM »
Forester Frank,
Sorry to keep you waiting. I've been out of town since last Sat. I can get you a sample if they fail to do so from the website. Did you receive a response from them? E-mail me or call me with your address. I doubt that we have info on Taxol as that is not a product that we manufacture.
We don't sell our products to Walgreen's or other retailers yet. We only sell to the retail market via phone or website. That is probably going to change soon. We market our products to companies that use it in their products. You may find a supplement containing AG made by a different company at one of these stores. The ingredient list will mention larch extract or something similar. We have already gone to market with our products ("stuff" as you referred to it). No stock symbol (currently privately held). No dividend royalties for management of this forum.
Tim Ryan

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2001, 07:46:18 PM »
Sorry Jeff,forgot my passie,I have a great memory its just short. Michelle asks if we can build with larch logs and market as a cold remedy?
A laborer works with his hands
A craftsman uses his brain and his hands
An artist uses his brain, his hands, and his heart

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2001, 06:55:03 AM »
The cordwood builders are gearing up to start the debarking phase of their season. A question that was asked is how to remove dried on tamarack bark most easily. Does anyone know of a dip or other method of doing this easily on a home scale?

Offline Larch Man

• Share Post
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2001, 07:21:01 AM »
Don,
Could you educate me as to what cordwood builders do and why they take the bark off the tamarack? How much tamarack is used in this way and what are the costs to obtain it? What portions of the state does this take place in? What size of tamarack is used?
Any information would be very helpful.
Tim Ryan

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2001, 09:58:49 AM »
Cordwood is an "alternative" building technique (I love the way we label things...it's been used for around 1200 years).
Firewood sized logs are cut, debarked and seasoned for several years. Then stacked and mortared with a 4" stripe of mortar at each end of the wood,end grain is exposed giving a stone wall appearance. Low movement woods are preferred.

It's a good use of small low value wood. Very labor intensive but low cost method of construction. Materials are gathered on site so there is no trade in materials.

Offline Jeff

• Fearless Leader
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2001, 01:20:09 PM »
I've seen that done with 4 by 6 end trims from a pallot mill. They used to buy the wrong lengths and have a lot of 16 to 20 inch oak end trims (WHAT A WASTE!) (they went out of business). Anyhoo, One of the old hands that worked there built a hell of a nice syrup shack with them.

Offline Forester Frank

• The race is not always to the swift..., but to those who keep running.
    • Share Post
    • G.P.  Gaylord Woodlands
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2001, 01:32:26 PM »
Sorry I have been out of the loop for a while. I'll get better. Promise. :-[
Forester Frank

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
The real cost of bands? Swing mill have lower cost?

Started by Doug_D on Sawmills and Milling

24 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 04:39:05 PM
by ARKANSAWYER
xx
548 availability

Started by OH logger on Forestry and Logging

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2014, 05:43:29 AM
by timberlinetree
xx
Availability of RS Chain