The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: My timber frame build  (Read 75838 times)

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
Re: My timber frame build
« Reply #520 on: September 05, 2020, 04:42:38 PM »
Update 9/3/2020:

I went up the hill with high hopes.  When I left on Tuesday, this is how far I got on the log:

Back on Tuesday afternoon, I put on a factory new blade.  For a while, I thought they sent me the wrong size.  I must have taken a good 15 or 20 minutes to get it mounted on my saw.  It was like it was too short.  Very frustrating.  Anyhow, it cut pretty well.  I sliced up that cedar with very little wave despite some nasty hard knots.  Then I put the above log on and sliced top and bottom (now the sides).  I did get a little diving (1/8"), so at the end of the day took it off thinking it was dull.  I was slabbing off about 20 to 28", dumping lots of water on the blade to keep it cool.  This Ponderosa is pretty hard.  I just remembered that my belt tensioner had flipped loose so that was probably the culprit.

So, Thursday morning I marked up the log to show what I was planning to get.  A 8x12 from the middle with two 8x10s and four 6x6s.  I was dreading putting the next sharp band on but to my surprise, it went on in 30 seconds!  A good sign, so I thought. :-\

As I was razing the head and lining up the band for the first (top) cut, it stopped about 1/4" from the line.  Hmmm, press the button again.  It groans and move 1/8".  Hmmm, press the button again and POP!  Not a good sound.  I lower the head a little and it falls about 1/2" like the chain skipped a tooth.  Try to raise and it goes up and drops 1/2" repeatedly.  After looking around, it seems I hit the top end limit (hard frame) and sheared off a tooth in my right angle gearbox.  So I have one on order.  Hopefully it comes in next week and I can get back to work!

In the meantime, I jacked up each end of the log in turn and busted off about 1.5" of bark and set it back down.  So when the new gearbox is installed, I'm ready to cut.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Weekend_Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Jack of all trades, master of fun
    • Share Post
« Reply #521 on: September 08, 2020, 06:46:24 AM »
My brother Chris and I have old tractors, dozers and loaders.
We use the term seat time vs wrench time.
The older the machine the more the latter.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #522 on: September 12, 2020, 08:12:04 AM »
I guess now you know how big of a log you can saw.  My saw has been sitting idle for almost 2 weeks because I broke my tractor loader cylinders trying to move a log that was too big for me to lift.  Gonna be next week before I get the repaired cylinders back.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #523 on: September 21, 2020, 02:03:21 AM »
Update 9/20/20:

Got my new/replacement gear box and finally a nearly smokeless day so I headed up to install as well as receive a load of cedar.

I finished up the log I started above with a new blade (you can guess what happened...).  I had to take off a 6" extra cut for the first cut since I could not get high enough.  Ignore the wavy cut on the right - that was a previous problem noted above.  The new cut is absolutely flat with no waves in a 24" wide cut!

From here, I flipped the log over to make the opening cut - another perfect cut about 16" wide.  I also pushed the saw faster to bog the engine down a bit to see how well it tracked and no ill effects.  So, my guides are working as they should and diving is either dull blades or belt tension.

Next cut 6" down (third cut with this new band) and that sickening sound of cutting metal - left the stop up too high ::)  But, I continued that cut (after lowering the stops) and the parting of three 8x12 from the center cant and freeing the four 6x6 railing posts.  Just a slight wave/dives that shows the effect of a dulled blade.

Over on another thread about how do you store your cant/peavy, I thought this up:

I have a few "junk" umbrella holders laying around and thought "simple, portable and quick!"  That cheap looking peavy is a Timber Tough ($67 on Amazon) I picked up on BidRL for $5 so I won't feel back if it breaks or doesn't work well.  But it is nice and short for the mill.

My RE agent got me in touch with another logger.  I got a load of "old growth" cedar that should give me what I need to complete the porch.  He snuck this in the load.  Something like 36" and weighs a LOT.  It took my SkyTrac for a little ride when I pulled it off the logging truck.

It is 16' long.  I could probably get 5 of my 5x18 beams out of it but it would also be neat to get a big slab for my dining table and/or counter top/island.  I need to go back and check my max width (and height) again.  It makes the other good-sized logs look like toothpicks. ;)

I put the 6x6's on stickers - almost couldn't lift one end on these - very green wood.  The 8x12s will need to go another day - I was pooped.

I'll return later in the week to start sawing!
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #524 on: September 21, 2020, 09:18:13 AM »
Good to see you getting things done. Hope none of those fires are close to you.

That big one would make me run. ;D

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #525 on: September 30, 2020, 12:08:02 PM »
Update 9/28-30/20:

I spent 9/22, 9/24, 9/28 & 9/29 working on the cedar logs.  If OGH wants to run the numbers through his app to get the BF, but here is what I got from the toolbox (doubling 16' numbers to get 33'):

1) 41/42 -16'6"       1280
2) 28/33 - 16'6"        584
3) 25/33 16'6"          462
4) 19/27 16'6"          260
5) 20/26 33'             600
6) 18/28 33'             464
7) 21/20 33'             642
8 ) 17/25 33'             410

Total of 4,702 bd-ft

and to round out the load, one 21/30 33' Ponderosa at 642 bf ft

I worked on logs 6,7 & 8 over the 4 days.  

Starting with log 7, I was not too happy with my purchase.  The pine I bought before are really nice logs.  This new logger kept touting how great his cedar was (old growth, nothing better, yada yada) it should have raised some red flags.  Anyhow, the first log must have been a top log - lots of big branch knots at the top end.  Out of a 33' log, I got one 5x18x13' beam free of knots (usable length but not ideal) and a handful of 1x boards with lots of knots.  A check/split (from dropping the tree?) wasted a lot of wood.  Not off to a good start.  

Log 6 was up next and I got a full 33' beam, two 16' beams (from the butt end) and a lot of 1x18x12' boards.  Once they dry, I will resaw them down to 1x10s.  I didn't want to do it green as I would expect them to crook when they dry.   A pretty good yield - much better.

Log 8 was interesting.  I made it a point that I didn't want anything less than 20" SED, yet I got two.  :-\  This one had both blue and orange spray paint on it.  I'm assuming the blue is a cut tree?  The orange was on this big nail and a few feet below it was this big spike I found when bibbying (note the chainsaw nick) and the two little nails for a sign?

Quick scan around the log and no others.  So I thought...  Once I opened the other sides, I started slicing off 1x material to get down to my beam(s).  Deep in, I found more so the grand total:

All the while, yellow jackets keep checking out my water drip and the bark area as I cut.  Initially I thought they were looking for water.  Then I see them crawling in grub holes.  They finally found what they were looking for:

When I got closer they would fly away.  They were pulling out the bark beetle grubs!  So out of this log, I got two 32' beams and a dozen 1x boards.  Grand total of 1,580 bd-ft, scaled at 1,510 or so.

The remaining 33' log has a bit of crook (and knots) at the top end so a full beam is unlikely.  Three of the 16'6" logs look real good.  The giant 16'6" log will be a big problem.  I will have to bibby off a bit to fit on my mill.  

What I think this logger did was take all the mill rejects and sell them for top dollar to me.  I don't think I'll be using him in the future.
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #526 on: October 11, 2020, 01:06:48 AM »
Updates for 10/3-10/4 and 10/7-10/8:

My son had an overnight camp that I dropped him off at on Saturday morning, 10/3.  That gave me the afternoon and part of Sunday morning to get something done.  I put up this log and milled it up:

The mill is maxed out in height (the black diagonal braces are touching the grey guide blocks on the head.  I milled some boards out of the slab cut off the top.  I ended up making FOUR 5x18x16' beams and a ~3" x 18" center board with a crack in it.  Also a lot of 1x wall boards.  As I was finishing up this log, I noticed some sparks coming from the v-belt pulley that was rubbing on the frame uprights.  Not good.

So this last Wednesday I did some maintenance/housekeeping.  I moved the drive wheel about 1/2" to the left and had to make an allowance in the idle wheel tensioning setup so I could loosen it enough to get a blade on.  Also replaced a couple radiator hose elbows on the SkyTrak that developed some leaks.  Also and the SkyTrak, the exhaust shoots straight down and stirs up a ton of dust when I drive around.  So I put a 90 elbow to shoot out the back - a lot cleaner air now!

Thursday morning, I put on another log (cut down to 27'6") to try and get a long beam.  The top end was bent and slightly small so I had my doubts.  I managed to get a stack of 1x boards (I still need to edge) and TWO 5x18 beams.  Its amazing that this was the worst looking log but got the most out of it.  There is a little bit of wane on the bottom at the very end but that will be in the cantilevered section of the deck.  My sister came up to help mid-morning.  After we moved all the beams aside, I sighted down the rails and had her crank the different jacks up and down to get the tracks dead flat again.  Then, one after another, reloaded trimmed, flipped and trimmed them all to size and dead straight.  My property is far from flat so the only place to put these were up on the sills.

I need 7 full length beams.  I got 5 so the remaining 6 half-beams will lapped to make up the missing 2 (2 half-beams extra).  The one short beam that looks to be too tall is actually resting on an anchor bolt holding the sill.  The closest beam is a little thick and will be placed as the 3rd and will support the stairs that will go down on the camera's right.  The remaining 5 beams will be flush with the right support wall to provide head room on the stairs.

Monday, all the beams will be taken down and trimmed to final length, the short ones will have the laps cut into them, one at a time.  It looks like the center sill is just a tad high so I will plane down as necessary where the beams will be sitting.  I will put a piece of 6" Fortiflex rubber flashing on the sills where the beams cross and screw them down with one diagonal 12" timber screw, per the plans.  Then on Tuesday, put Fortiflex down the top of the beams where the boards will sit and load up all the 4x10 boards.  Since the boards will be held down from the bottom (no screw hole in the top), I'm hoping these boards will last a LONG time.
John Sawicky

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #527 on: October 11, 2020, 07:49:23 AM »
It's nice to see you making some progress.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #528 on: October 15, 2020, 02:12:49 AM »
Update 10/12-14/2020:

Slight change of plans.  First, I made a timber wrench to help out setting up the beams for the deck.

But, I forgot to load it in my truck... ::)  So I will recut the notch for 8" beams.  

I spent Tuesday finishing up a dozen jacket boards trimming them into 1x10s and then pulling down all the beams to cut to length.  Four half-beams needed lap joints cut in one end of each.  I also discovered that the center sill was cut 1/2" thicker than the outside ones.  So I trimmed out a notch for each beam.  Very tight space to stack/store the beams!

Wednesday my sister came up for the day to help.  I positioned the SkyTrak and had her, after a short training session, adjust the beams in/out, left/right.  No major mishaps! ;)  I secured the beams to the sills with the one required 12" x 3/8" GRK screw at each crossing.  I need to bring up my big DeWalt impact gun to drive a few stubborn one all the way in that my 1/2" drill could not finish driving.  But, they really hold well!  I was surprised.

The extra long sills will be trimmed off at 6" past the last beam.  I will install 6x6 cedar railing posts on each with an additional post between.  That won't happen until I set up my bents as this will be used as a building platform.

As a side note, I was using my new-to-me Onan generator to power my saw and drill.  I made up a very long remote start/stop switch so neither of us had to run to start or stop it.  So nice!  But, that generator sure likes to drink!

Didn't get the floor boards up, but another day and the 600 brackets with 2,400 screws will be installed.  Well, maybe 2 days.
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #529 on: October 18, 2020, 11:47:04 PM »
Update 10/16-17/20:

Went back up Friday and trimmed the front 4 beams to length.  Not sure how but they ended up 1"
too long.  So I had to use my big Makita 16" beam saw.  I was cutting down vertically - the weight of this monster saw worked to my advantage but wore me out!  Then I put on the Fortiflash.

Here is the stack of deck boards:

Ended Friday with half the boards laid out:

and moved the remainder over so I can lay out the rest in the morning.

I started Saturday out laying out the rest of the deck boards and lining up the first board.  My sister showed up mid-morning and we got to work!  All the boards are attached with these brackets and we were done by late-afternoon:

Hard to make out but the beam on the right is the front one and I did not want brackets showing so I put them all on the inside

All the boards trimmed up:

I have all the boards attached to the front 6 beams.  I need to push the back beam upright and then attach it to the deck boards to hold it in place.

There is a small hill south of the cabin site - standing up there looking down.  The box truck on the right is the one behind my sawmill:

Next up is to put the final 3 boards on the right (over the rocks, behind the tree) and the boards that will make up the stair landing on the left as well as the fascia boards to close up the ends.
John Sawicky

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #530 on: October 19, 2020, 08:43:35 AM »
Its looking good John.  Is this deck going to be under a roof and what is it all built with?   WRC?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #531 on: October 19, 2020, 09:37:49 AM »
No, uncovered.  Looking back over my engineer's notes for the snow load calc, he used 415 lb/sq-ft.  That's why the beams are 18" (my original pick) by 5" over the 11' span and spaced 22" OC.  I wanted substantial boards so I went with 4x material.  The wood is Incense Cedar and is very rot resistant in my observations of felled old wood.  This is on the south side were the prevailing winds come from so I don't expect there to be huge accumulations.  Worst single event was 10' of snow in 2 days followed by 13" of rain a couple of years back.  Generally, it is a foot or two per storm and very high winds blowing it into drifts on the lee side.  Average yearly accumulation is 12'.
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #532 on: October 22, 2020, 01:33:42 AM »
Update 10/21/20:

Fit the remaining 3 boards on the east side of the deck and cut up boards to make 4 short (54") planks for the stair landing.  Then trimmed the back side of all the boards.  About 12' x 29' with a 54"x46" landing on the right.  Looking south:

Looking west:

Getting closer to the tree tops!  I think my phone camera lens is getting a bit scratched...

I just need to install the 2" 'fascia' boards on the east and west ends of the beams and trim the sill boards to their final length.  I've pre-installed all the GA-1's to mount the fascia boards.  Out of the 600 GA-1's I purchased, I have 65 63 left over.  Screws came in boxes of 500, so I bought 2,500.  I have about 350 300 left.
John Sawicky

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #533 on: October 23, 2020, 08:24:00 PM »
Looks great!
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #534 on: October 24, 2020, 11:27:50 AM »
Update 10/23/2020:

I have one of those Jackson contractor wheelbarrows, the blue metal ones.  For some reason, I left it where it wasn't supposed to be.  So there was a showdown between my 23K lb SkyTrak and a 30 lb wheelbarrow.  Well, the wheelbarrow took a pretty good hit and got a little bit bent, but it took out the SkyTrak...  As I pulled forward (still didn't know I hit it), the steering was sluggish and wanted to return to neutral.  I leaned out and looked over the front, nothing strange.  Looked to the rear and oil everywhere.  The wheelbarrow hit a small hydraulic T in the steering ram circuit and cracked it at the threads. ::)

So that was an hour or so trying to find a part up there in the middle of nowhere.

The plan for the day was to take down a big stack of cedar 1x's to get to the pair of 2x18's at the bottom to close up the beam ends on the porch.  That pile in there:

I did have an undersized beam ( 4-3/8 x 18 ) sitting out so, to save time, I just decided to split that on the mill and put those up.  Nice to have a helping hand working again ;)

But I still de-stacked/flat-stacked the cedar.  I have 6 1x8's, 43 1x10's and 20-25 1x18's (some with splits and lots of knots).  I'll rip them down into pairs of 1x8's or salvage a 1x10.  I'll do that next trip up and band/tarp them for next year.
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #535 on: October 30, 2020, 08:54:09 PM »
10/29/2020:

Back at it on Thursday.  I had a 16.5' x 28" log sliced up into cants - 3@8x12 and 2@6x24.  Left one as a 8x12 and reduced the other two into 8x8s.  The 6x24s were turned into ten 4x6s that I cut in half (8') for brace stock.  Lost a couple due to wain.  Will lose a few more due to some big knots.  Also had a pair of 2x8s from side wood.  So 704 bd-ft of usable product from one log.  When cutting one of the 6x24s down, I was rolling one 4x6 and it took a weird bounce and smacked my right ring finger tip.  Ouch, swelled up like cartoon hammer-smacked thumb!  Still swollen and hard today and a bit purple.

I finished up my Mare & Colt saw horse pair and put them up on my new deck (only open, flat place to work).  Put the three posts up there and laid out the 8x12 and cut the four brace pockets.  Also opened up my timber wrench to fit 8" timbers.  Wow, makes easy work rotating, no marks and the timber doesn't get out of control like a cant hook as they tumble.

Just have to cut the tenons on each end after cutting to length.
John Sawicky

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #536 on: October 31, 2020, 11:58:06 AM »
You might put up some temp handrails. Would hate to hear you fell off that deck.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #537 on: October 31, 2020, 12:07:06 PM »
Yeah, thought about that.  I'd have to do just corner posts and a cable with a quick-disconnect.  Need the center to be open to fork up the posts and beams.  Its only a 10' drop to moon dust ;)
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #538 on: November 11, 2020, 07:52:53 PM »
Update 11/11/2020:
We had a couple little cold storms blow through.  The CalTrans traffic cameras were down so I couldn't see how much was coming down or what the totals were.  The weather guys were saying about 6" further up the hill from me.  I wanted to cut a beam and try and get the bottom half of a bent up.  Here's what I was greeted with this morning when I got there:

There was 3-4" on the ground and it was 24 at 7:30 am.  I brought my little trailer up to bring my mill head home for the winter/rebuild but couldn't load it because I couldn't move the SkyTrak.  So, I left it up there and took my flatbed home at noon time after I packed away some other things for the winter.

Predicting a little more snow this weekend and then rain Thanksgiving week.  Maybe I'll have another chance to work this year.
John Sawicky

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
First Timber Frame Build

Started by aguaman99 on Timber Framing/Log construction

27 Replies
Last post February 02, 2019, 03:24:33 PM
by aguaman99
xx
Not Timber Frame but a build question...

Started by SPD748 on Timber Framing/Log construction

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2015, 03:33:59 PM
by fishfighter
xx
My timber frame build pics.

Started by Tim_W on Timber Framing/Log construction

19 Replies
Last post February 09, 2020, 05:21:10 PM
by BCsaw
xx
Timber Frame Cabin Build