The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Author Topic: Scrap metal retirement  (Read 4309 times)

Offline wwsjr

• In Memoriam
  • Think Orange
    • Share Post
Re: Scrap metal retirement
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2013, 02:19:56 PM »
I will find out what scrap prices are in the near future. With the shop and sawmill fire along with other junk, I have a 16' trailer load already and probably will have at least one more trailer load plus the LT40 Super sawmill with Cat engine. It is going to be gone whatever the price. I do not have room to store for the future.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Offline terry f

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2013, 02:23:19 PM »
     With that 12,000 put in the DOW 30 years ago (around 1200), you could buy a house today. I would lose more sleep in the metals market, than the stock market. Loggah, your junk (treasures) amaze me.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2013, 06:57:58 PM »
Conventional wisdom with the stock market,long term is around 11-12 percent per year .If you don't have the nerve to weather the ups and downs don't go there .

Scrap can go up and down too so don't try to corner the market on rusty fence wire thinking you're going to turn it to gold .Now free,that's another story . ;)

Offline loggah

• Senior Member x2
  • Just hangin' around :)
    • Share Post
    • Johnson Hollow Sawing and Shingle Making
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2013, 07:09:12 PM »
scrap silver is the way to go !!! i buy some every now and then ,local machine shop uses a bunch of coin silver,sometimes they bring a bunch of turnings into the junkyard i buy some up and then resell them when the market  is up , sometimes silver goes up 30-40% in 6 months, you have to watch the market . Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Offline never finished

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 08:56:11 PM »
  The guy I work for doing demolition work burries all the scrap copper out behind the shop, for his retirement. We only bring in the bigger stuff. Probley over 2 ton of it by now. It keeps the theives out of it, and if it's not turned into cash it can't be spent. Or taxed.   

Offline saltydog

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2013, 10:26:39 PM »
Asking the wife if its ok to bring home junk? I dont ask i sneak. :) Besides men are the head of the house!We do what we want when we want.  :)
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Offline Slabs

• It don't get no better than flyin' sawdust
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2013, 08:10:10 PM »
Let's properly describe it.  It's a spare parts repository.  Not a junk or scrap pile.
It's also a good place to get ideas on how to fix something.  Gerald

Ahhhh!  You subscribed to Farm Journal back in the 60's too.  I remember Hutch and Ada.

Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2013, 07:14:20 AM »
slabs        thats funny :D :D :) :)

Offline muddstopper

• Share Post
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2013, 07:18:03 PM »
I have my own take on scrap laying around the house. Of course my wife doesnt agree with me on this one.
I will hual in a large piece of metal, flat plate, tubing, angle or whaever, If I run across it. This material will eventually get used in one project or the other. Being able to use it without having to buy it is probably a bigger return than saving it until I retire.

Now when it comes to old equipment, I love the stuff. I never go searching for it, but I wont pass it by without a least a look see if I run across something. My cryteria for buying a piece of equipment is 1. I must be able to use it , or at least parts of it, right away. 2. The price I pay for it cant exceed the cost of the salvaged parts I intend to use. And 3. If I see its at a real bargain price and I can flip it pretty easy and put a few untaxed dollars in my pocket, then that thing is going home with me.

Like my wife, i dont like seeing piles of junk laying around the house, good scrap is stacked in piles. Stuff that is to short, bent up, or rusted past worth, I make a small pile and when it gets big enough, it goes straight to the scrap yard. Of couse I usually bring home more than I take, but thats a whole nother story.

Offline GAB

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2013, 10:07:07 AM »
Dear Slabs:
No I did not subscribe as I was too young, however my dad did.  The Farm Journal, Successful Farming, and Hoards Dairyman were great library material.  Thanks for posting that old cartoon.  I was young back then, but that is the one I was thinking of when I wrote what I did.  It must have gotten your attention also.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34 w/6' ext & SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Offline mesquite buckeye

• Senior Member x2
  • Trees are good- even ones with stickers
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »
Seems like the difference in opinions is hoarders vs throwers.

If you can use your junk for projects and still have scrap iron to sell, plus the mess doesn't bother you, why not?

At least it is something real if the currency collapses.

And they are less likely to declare it illegal to possess like they did with gold during the last Depression.

And if worse comes to worse, it can be beaten into either plowshares or swords, whichever you need more of.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Offline 5quarter

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Blue Harbor Refinishing
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2013, 10:20:19 PM »
I love this thread! I have a hard time around here finding scrap...er inventory as no one around here gets rid of anything. stuff only becomes available when someone dies, or so it seems. every self respecting rancher, farmer or homesteader has their own little gold mine, and there are ALOT of self respecting folks around here. :D  and some really do have gold mines. My neighbor down the road has over 40 Chevy sedans ranging from 52' to 58'most covered and on blocks, some in a machine shed and others just out in the open. about half of them still run. Then he's got another building full of parts for the chevys and some other old stuff and that's just the cars! If that is a measure of respectability, then I am quite disreputable. ;)
   You guys have some awesome stuff  :o :o
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Scrap metal prices

Started by mike_van on General Board

38 Replies
Last post September 28, 2006, 05:26:31 PM
by ely
xx
saved from scrap metal

Started by weisyboy on Sawmills and Milling

2 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 04:51:47 AM
by weisyboy
xx
Anyone Know What Scrap Metal is Selling For?

Started by WDH on General Board

26 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 06:46:34 AM
by Captain
xx
Turned into scrap metal

Started by keloo.comly slagle on Forestry and Logging

10 Replies
Last post March 15, 2013, 06:41:44 PM
by lumberjack48