iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

question for the stihl experts out there

Started by cutter88, May 19, 2013, 06:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutter88

i just sold a ms 460 and bought a new ms 461 and was told they dont make a dual port magnum muffle on it can someone tell me if the one ust on a 460 would work also they said if i just take a dremmel tool to the single port muffler i should ritchen it up a it how do i do that??? any help would be appreciated
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Al_Smith

It's your saw and you can do what you want .However it would not be good advice to do any modifications on a brand new saw under warrenty .

Now some might agree with that statement and some might not but that's my 2 cents worth on that subject .

AdkStihl

A 460 has a completely different muffler.
I would run the 461 stock for now......at least until the warranty is out.
J.Miller Photography

joe_indi

If you are friendly enough with the dealer you could ask him to let you try out your saw with an old MS460 muffler he might have.
The mufflers are different (smaller port on the 461) but the covers are the same.
This way you could decide whether you really need to take up that dremmel .
Some of my customers like it better with the 460 muffler. The power band feels more linear.
Joe

joe_indi

BTW we have been seeing some problems in some 461 mufflers.
Look at the image. This is a relatively new 461. The spots marked by the yellow pointers develop cracks as seen in the image.
Subsequently the area circled in red breaks off and is pulled into the cylinder.The result? Damaged  Piston and cylinder.
You will notice that the holes on the screen are bigger than that of a MS460.
But the port is smaller.
I have found that increasing the port size reduces the chance of this damage happening by nearly 100%.
Okay, this mod might reduce the exhaust stratification system on this saw, but its safer to run .

Thank You Sponsors!