iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log splitters

Started by Furby, April 24, 2004, 09:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSteiner

That sounds like too many issues to deal with, maybe the old saying is true "you get what you pay for".  I have looked at some of the less expensive wood splitters and wondered how robust they really were.

I just purchased my first wood splitter last month after 30 years of splitting by hand I put the maul and wedges into semi-retirement.  I purchased a Super Split wood splitter which works with a fly wheel principle instead of hydraulics.

It has a plate that pushes the wood through the wedge.  I think that puts less side way stress on the pushing device.  I haven't got a piece of wood stuck on the wedge yet.  The wedge is narrower than others I have seen so it shears knots off easier than those with wide wedges which split more by seperation force.

I really like the Super Split as it has a work table which catches the split pieces for reprocessing.  I had 1/3 of a cord of elm which came from dying tree at the neighbors place.  It took me 20 minutes to split the lot.  Last year I would have thrown most of it away than to try tp split it. 8)

Randy
Randy

Furby

Just thought I'd throw this up here.
The fellow we were helping out is 85, his name's Jay. One of his hobbies over the years was making clocks and tables. He made most of his clocks out of walnut or cypress, and his tables were cypress. He showed me his last round of cypress and his last couple of small stumps. He has them stored in the rafters of his garage for safe keeping. He says you can't get cypress anymore. I told him, wanna bet?   ;) ;)
I said if he ever wanted some more, I know just who to talk too.  ;D
This is a clock that he made and has hanging on his livingroom wall.

karl

Hey Frank- How 'bout postin some pics of that wood splitting beast, I'd really like a look ,eh?
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

ADfields

It's all steel, no cast on it at all.   Came from Walmart back about 1996.   The new one has a shorter beam and the ram is held at the front not the back like mine but they also work just fine.
Andy

Haytrader

RStiener,

I would like to see pics of ur splitter too, or a link.
TY
Haytrader

ADfields

Hear is a link to Super Split.
http://www.ripsaw.com/gfx.html

Don't sound like the faster cycle time helps it's speed much over a hyd. splitter.   1/3 cord in 20 min. is 1 cord an hour and thats what my wife gets with our hyd. splitter, I can get close to 2 cord an hour from it. 8)
Andy

Haytrader

Haytrader

Stan

Quote  1/3 cord in 20 min. is 1 cord an hour and thats what my wife gets with our hyd. splitter, I can get close to 2 cord an hour from it. 8)
Andy
Either one of you could split all the wood I can burn in less than a day, how's come it takes me a couple of weeks?  :-/
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

ADfields

I don't know Stan. ???   I do know a good part of my Summers are always took up with fire wood work. ::)   Started out with just an ax when I was a kid and I tell ya a splitter is a heck of an upgrade! 8) 8)
Andy

oldsaw-addict

The splitters mentioned thus far are fine if you want a rugged log splitter for years of use, BUT can they split a 7foot diameter log like it was a 6" branch? the ultimate splitter is the one I have shown here. this bad boy is for those really stubborn logs that JUST WONT BREAK with regular size splitters and wedges, plus it works well for those oversize logs too. the only catch is that you need about $250K or so to get one :D unless you get it illegally that is, or at auction. --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/v112/boyfriend101/log_buster_large.jpg[/img]
Let there be saws for all mankind!

lamar

jimc, Im looking at the 24t 8hp.Not sure about the engine(flathead brigs standard) might be a gass hog.If your 5hp held up that good this one should work.Are the biger ones more tempermental? Im ok if the splitter is all steel cause I can weld.Did harbor F work with you one parts.I would want to mount a log cradle on both sides,I like to work off the truck or trailer in horz. position when ever posible.Thanks for the Info

Stan

Thanks for the offer teacher, but I don't think them chunks would fit in my parlor stove.  ::)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Thank You Sponsors!