iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wide head LT70 Wood-Mizer

Started by Bibbyman, May 25, 2013, 10:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQAop0xK5dA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Mary and I attended the Wood-Mizer open house at Mt Vernon, Mo today.   One mill they had on display was the new LT70 "wide head" mill with 34" between the guides.   
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ElectricAl

We could have used that for the 34" x 20' Cottonwood a few months ago.
But the LT50 got it processed.

They should sell well.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

ladylake

TK 2000 has 32" between the guide rollers for a LOT less.  Plus 16" above the blade .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WDH

Don't let Jake see this  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bibbyman

Quote from: WDH on May 26, 2013, 07:22:18 AM
Don't let Jake see this  :D.

He'd be running around the country looking for 80" diameter logs to split to saw on it. :D

Here is an excellent WM video showing the overall features of the current LT70 standard mill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0wq9QQL9Uw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Sawing since '94

JSwigga

The LT70 starts at 51,000.   How much more what it for the wide head option?  I'm so glad to see that WM came out with this.  We do a lot of live edge/wide slabs for bars, counters, tables etc.   I know that Timberking can make similar cuts for less money but I've only used WM, and I love their products. The thin kerf will be great for the 34" and less in diameter logs.  I'll stick with my lucas slabber on the big daddies.  Happy Memorial day to everyone!
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

rooster 58

Wide head was 1500.00 last November

JustinW_NZ

Interesting the overhead wire going front to back, what's running on that line?

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Bibbyman

Quote from: JustinW_NZ on May 26, 2013, 06:02:49 PM
Interesting the overhead wire going front to back, what's running on that line?

Cheers
Justin

I'm pretty sure it's a communication cable to control head functions.
Sawing since '94

wwsjr

Bibby,
Did it have a "cat track" like the Super remotes or was it a walk-a-long. It did not appear to have a track in the video.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

GAB

Bibby:
What diameter log is W-M claiming this 34" head can handle.  For instance the LT-40 with a 24" wide opening is supposed to be able to handle a 36" diameter log.  I say "is supposed to" because I haven't tried to cut something that big yet.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Bibbyman

Quote from: wwsjr on May 26, 2013, 07:42:34 PM
Bibby,
Did it have a "cat track" like the Super remotes or was it a walk-a-long. It did not appear to have a track in the video.

No cable track.  The communication cable on the line controls the head functions.

This one had the remote station.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Quote from: GAB on May 26, 2013, 07:53:01 PM
Bibby:
What diameter log is W-M claiming this 34" head can handle.  For instance the LT-40 with a 24" wide opening is supposed to be able to handle a 36" diameter log.  I say "is supposed to" because I haven't tried to cut something that big yet.  Gerald

I think 40" was stated.
Sawing since '94

delvis

Quote from: ladylake on May 25, 2013, 11:28:00 PM

TK 2000 has 32" between the guide rollers for a LOT less.  Plus 16" above the blade .  Steve

Yes, but it's not a WM.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

ladylake

Quote from: delvis on May 26, 2013, 10:59:44 PM
Quote from: ladylake on May 25, 2013, 11:28:00 PM

Yes, but it's not a WM.

Right, it's a nice simple all hydraulic mill that works.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

xlogger

Gald to see that WM is catching up with our Tk  :D
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

customsawyer

I have had my eye on one for a while.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bibbyman

Quote from: xlogger on May 27, 2013, 06:41:10 AM
Gald to see that WM is catching up with our Tk  :D

Wood-Mizer's not catching up, they're adding another lap lead! :D
Sawing since '94

ladylake

It's 2 different races, one all hydraulic with very few  pit stops and one with electric with lots of pit stops.      Steve

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

delvis

Quote from: ladylake on May 28, 2013, 06:21:20 AM
It's 2 different races, one all hydraulic with very few  pit stops and one with electric with lots of pit stops.      Steve

Well, all that matters is whatever works for each person.  I had all hydraulic and four post and was not sold on electric over hydraulic and cantilever heads until I bought one.  Now, I wouldn't go back.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

ladylake

That works the other way also plus what my customers tell me.    Steve

dboyt

Always good to see customer loyalty.  How about a TK at the Shoot-Out (Oct 4-6 Paul Bunyan show, Cambridge, OH)?  If we can get both machines there, I'll arrange to have appropriate logs for a "grudge match"!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

038magnum

I love my LT70 Wide head mill and would not trade it for any other mill. :laugh: "IT IS AWSOME!"  8)

Here are some pics. of a Beech tree job I did for a customer in April.

He wanted 2" thick slabs out of two logs that he had.

Sorry I forgot to take pics. of all the finished slabs.

Magicman

It's easy to do.  I generally forget either the beginning or the ending.  Well sometimes the middle too.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!