The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Anyone on the Paleo Diet? (UPDATE 7/1/13)  (Read 2403 times)

Offline SLawyer Dave

• I don't need a gym, I cut and split firewood
    • Share Post
Re: Anyone on the Paleo Diet? (UPDATE 6/22/13)
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 12:33:18 PM »
Keep updating us on your progress, great to see other people's successes.

Offline crtreedude

• Senior Member x2
  • A proper coffee break...
    • Share Post
    • Finca Leola Reforestation
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 01:21:42 PM »
I have pretty much been on this kind of eating for 15 or so years. I originally weighed more than 270 lbs. This morning, 189 - my perfect weight is about 185.

Anytime I go for a physical, the doctors are jealous of my results.  8)

I do treat myself to half a teaspoon of unrefined sugar in my coffee, and one treat per week, as long as my weight is below 190.

I can drop weight like a stone just by eating eggs and tomatoes... or V8 and eggs.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Offline PAFaller

• Share Post
    • Berndtson Timber Management
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 06:07:40 PM »
I know theres a lot of talk about this diet, and I've read some about it, but it seems as though everyone has a different take. If you dont mind my asking, what specifically are you eating or not eating? I know the basics are essentially to go back to like a hunter gatherer diet, and of course the focus is on meats and to stay away from processed foods, but even that to me seems a bit hard to do. I think I would have to eat a lot more if I cut out what few carbs I eat in a day.
It ain't easy...

Offline SLawyer Dave

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 02:21:28 AM »
what specifically are you eating or not eating?

I don't actually try to "go back to a hunter gatherer diet", but I try to concentrate on eating 70% protein, (primarily lean meats and nuts), 20% low carb vegetables, and 10% fresh and in season fruit.  In this modern world, you can eat high sugar, high calorie fruits year round, so that is why I focus on what is in season, and grow a lot of my own fruits and vegies.  This way, when I am the most active, (spring and summer), is also when I eat the most calories.  Again, the Paleo Lifestyle, (as I call it), is all about BALANCE.  Balance what you eat, with your activity level, and what your goals are.  Balance your treats in the same way.  There is nothing wrong with having treats, sweets, ice cream, etc., as long as you balance such against your goals and how such indulgences effect you. 

Today for breakfast, I had a Muscle Milk protein shake, ( I do this almost every day).  For lunch, I had leftover fajita mix, (pork, onions, zuchini, and pepper), which I made for dinner on Thursday.  I just had it in a bowl with some sour cream.  Tonight for dinner, I bbq boneless skinless chicken breast.  I season it with garlic salt and a garlic seasoning blend.  I also had an ear of fresh corn.  Yes corn.  I know, it is a grain, and lots of carbs.  But one ear of corn, (after spending 6 hours splitting and stacking firewood), is not going to come close to equaling the calories I burned today.  Again, what I love about the Paleo Diet, and what makes it sustainable for me is that there is no such thing as "cheating".  It is all about balancing your wants and needs against your goals.  If you want corn, ice cream, chocolate, etc., just make sure you keep your portions small, don't do it every day, and make sure you use such treats to motivate yourself to "burn off" such calories by doing a physical activity that you enjoy. 

The only dairy I eat is cheese and sour cream, and have to watch my portions, as dairy tends to raise your blood sugar and interfere with weight loss.  Again, this is not hunter gather, but I need to balance making my Paleo diet both sustainable and satisfying.  Again, I call it your "buy in" level.  Each person has to learn how to balance their needs and wants, and their over all goals. 

I posted a link to my old Paleo Blog.  It has recipes, and a lot of links to some real good Paleo resources.  I am still trying to lose weight, but I am doing it rather slowly.  (I'm down 107 lbs over the last 5 years with 23 lbs to go to my goal of 195).  I have learned for "ME", that I pretty much need to eat the 80/20 I posted about above, to keep me happy and satisfied with my diet.  The secret I learned is to make sure that my treats are "portion controlled", and are that, a treat, not a daily excess.  I have also found that my diet pretty much is a maintenance diet for me.  I don't really lose weight at this point on the diet itself, I lose weight when I am physically active enough to burn more calories than I eat.

I have learned that I would rather lose weight slowly, and consistently rather than doing the yo-yo thing where I try to be "too perfect" and then succumb to cravings and over indulgence.  IMHO, the trick to the Paleo Diet is to learn everything you can from the so called experts, what to eat, what to avoid, strategies for avoiding cravings, etc.  Then try their ideas out, and see what works for you.  Remember, no one knows you better than yourself, and only you can figure out what works best for you, and how to obtain your goals.

Offline Leigh Family Farm

• Live life the way you want. You only get one.
    • Share Post
    • Isagenix
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 09:30:41 AM »
I will keep the updates coming. As for what I eat on a daily basis:

Breakfast: 3 eggs, 3 slices of bacon, 1/2 grapefruit, water (add veggies into the eggs for variety)
     this is the high protein kickstarter I need for my day
Lunch: Large green salad, Protein Shake, water or ice tea
     I buy the bulk greens and shakes from Costco
Snacks: homemade trail mix and apples
     My local Giant has a bulk foods section so I can get dried fruit and nuts which is cheaper than premade
Dinner: Meat and a veggie
     Usually its steak, fish, or pork with broccoli or green beans

I drink 64 oz of water during the work day and another 24 oz. at night at home. I realized quickly that I didn't miss grains so that was easy to give up. Sweets was my real problem so I had to quit them like I quit smoking, cold turkey. I now find that I crave less sugar and having fruit (strawberries, grapefruit, oranges) keeps my sugar cravings down. If you are out with friends at a bar, like I was last night for a bachelor party  ;), get soft chicken tacos instead of the giant burger and bun. This simple move will remove a lot of bad carbs (processed flours, grains, etc.) and you're still full afterwards. A lot of my friends don't think its weird anymore when someone orders a different meal then everyone else. I always just say "I'm trying to eat healthier foods".

Like SLawyer said, its all about balance. Some people go full boar and do great, while others slowly remove bad things from their daily eating. I can't grow my own veggies right now so I buy whats in season at the store. I noticed I did eat more in the beginning which is a punch to the wallet, but now I'm back down to my normal weekly spending levels. If you want to give this a go, maybe start with changing one meal. For instance, instead of a sandwich, soda, and bag of chips for lunch every day, go with salad greens and balsamic vinaigrette topped with cubed steak and an ice tea. Make the salad big enough the use 6 ounces of steak, and I guarantee you won't be hungry for 4-5 hours. Bring snacks to work to control cravings (trail mix, cut up apple slices with cinnamon sprinkled on top). In the beginning, don't worry about eating too much, just focus on eating better foods.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Offline Leigh Family Farm

• Live life the way you want. You only get one.
    • Share Post
    • Isagenix
Re: Anyone on the Paleo Diet? (UPDATE 7/1/13)
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 11:11:19 AM »
Today marks a full 30 days on the Paleo Diet. I can say it ain't easy in the beginning but definitely gets easier. There were days that I completely failed and had a bunch of sugary items and then there were entire weeks that I didn't eat a single sugary snack. The best part is that I don't crave having a dessert after every dinner or an afternoon soda/candy bar. I eat better foods and can consciencously tell myself "I don't want that" and actually not eat it.

Now I move on to the next phase which is exercising everyday. An by exercising everyday, I mean doing calesthenics 3 days a week, light jogging or fast walking 3 days a week, and then playing a sport (i.e. golf, soccer) or helping my friend at a sawmill  ;) the other day. I'll keep weekly updates coming and let you all you know how things progress. I'll still track my weight but now I'm going to add number of push-ups in a row and pull-ups in a row as another gauge.

Starting weight: 181.9 (6/1/13)
Ending weight: 174.8 (7/1/13)

Have a great 4th Everyone!!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Offline SLawyer Dave

• Share Post
Re: Anyone on the Paleo Diet? (UPDATE 7/1/13)
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 10:34:15 PM »
Grats, Keep up the hard work.  ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Diet anyone??

Started by CCC4 on Forestry and Logging

36 Replies
Last post February 04, 2015, 07:24:53 PM
by tmarch
xx
diet drinks

Started by easymoney on General Board

22 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 10:41:09 PM
by isawlogs