The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: LT 15 extension from Woodmizer or custom made from fabricator?  (Read 5380 times)

Offline Philngruvy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: LT 15 extension from Woodmizer or custom made from fabricator?
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 08:39:07 AM »
All I have for a welder, is a cheapo 110v wire feed from Home Depot that cost about $400. It can supposedly weld 1/4" but I think that's pushing it.

Do you think it would be good for welding the 1/8" thick steel of the extension?  I'm worried it wouldn't be due to the heavy logs banging around on the bed. I think what I may do is tack everything together with my toy welder, then have a welder friend come over with his equipment and weld it together for me.

Any opinions regarding this?

That welder will do fine for what you will be welding, assuming that you know how to weld well.  I have a similar machine and I have welded all sorts of much heavier material.  Just make sure you get even pentration on both pieces of metal.  If you think you need to, you can make multiple passes to increase the weld size. 
LT 15 18G
Bobcat 751

Offline Piston

• Senior Member x2
  • ...Brick by brick my friends...brick by brick!
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 04:41:55 PM »
I got a quote from the steel supply store. 

1/8" thick 2x6 is $105, whereas 3/16" is $156. 

They only come in 24' lengths, so 24' it is!  8)

My question is, is there any reason I should NOT go with 3/16"?  I know WM uses 1/8" thickness but I am thinking that 3/16" would be better, as it is a bit thicker/sturdier. 
I'd like to go a little heavy on the thickness because I may try to add a "trailer kit" to this extension down the road, then I'd have a mobile LT15 with a 24' track on it.   ;)

If the only negative to going thicker is cost, then I'll go with the 3/16" thickness. 

I will order 3 of the 24' long sections, using 2 for the tracks, and 1 to be cut up into smaller lengths that I'll use for cross bracing.  I'll certainly not get to this project over the next few weeks but I may purchase the steel soon.  I figure it will probably cost right around the same price for the 24' extension by building it myself, than it would for a 7' section from WM. 
I just need to make sure I don't screw it up  :D
-Matt
What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 08:34:25 PM »
I'd go heavier, it just costs a little more. Like Philngruvy said, you can weld with the little welder, just make sure you are getting penetration. If you are really worried, then tack it and have your friend finish it like you said. Can't wait to see the first 38' white oak on there. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline Piston

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 09:17:13 PM »

Can't wait to see the first 38' white oak on there. ;D
Dang it Dave!  I'm gonna NIGHT MARES tonight just thinking about that! 

I don't mess with those big boy species, I stick with the pine  :D

At least I have a way to get the log to the mill now.....

-Matt
What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.

Offline Piston

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 09:21:55 PM »
Ouch!  I just used the calc's to figure log weight of a 38' white oak, right around 5-6k lbs.   :o 

I don't think I'll be moving one of those  :D
-Matt

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 09:40:14 PM »
I sawed up load of 29' wo last month.  The 16" tips I could pick up with the L48. The 20" tips I winched in front of the mill and used the loading arms and the L48. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
As Philngruvy said that welder will be fine for that project. Now if you was making a woods trailer and wanted to put almost a cord of wood on it,well,that would be a differant story. I use to have one like that,but started to get more and more into toys and needed a bigger one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Piston

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 11:00:39 PM »
I use to have one like that,but started to get more and more into toys and needed a bigger one.
Ya that's my problem Ray.  I really could use a new welder with more "capacity"

I'll give it a go with this welder, I just worry about the heavy weight of huge logs on the mill.  I am careful not to "drop" a log onto the mill, but you can't help it when your turning a large log, it eventually just comes crashing down after being turned far enough. 
-Matt

Offline Timberline

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 11:18:43 PM »
If your welder is rated to 1/4" you should be fine.  I welded my headrig with a 105 amp welder that was only supposed to go up to 1/8".  Most of my material was 3/16"!  I wouldn't recommend this, infact, I might have to rebuilt a few pieces now that I have a Hobart 210.  But if your welder says it goes to 1/4" you'll be perfectly fine with 3/16 or 1/4.  If you ever want to upgrade your welder look for a reconditioned Hobart Handler.  I bought my 210 from Amazon last month for $550 free shipping and it was literally new.  I LOVE this welder  8)

Offline Lazyguy

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 11:27:23 PM »
For $50 extra I'd use the 3/16" in a heart beat!

Many years ago my brother-in-law welded up some 2" x 5" x 1/8" stock to hold a small lathe for me.
He did this with a small Miller mig 110 unit. It was supposed to weld up to 5/16" if memory serves.
That bench is strong as HE--!

You should v-grove at joints to help with the penetration.

But, unless you're a Experienced welder. I'd just tack it up and let you're buddy finish it with his equipment.
You can swap favors, later.

A 30" log's HEAVY, and you're safety's on the LINE.

Dave S...

Ps: thank's for the welcomes.

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 09:28:21 PM »
If your welder is rated to 1/4" you should be fine.  I welded my headrig with a 105 amp welder that was only supposed to go up to 1/8".  Most of my material was 3/16"!  I wouldn't recommend this, infact, I might have to rebuilt a few pieces now that I have a Hobart 210.  But if your welder says it goes to 1/4" you'll be perfectly fine with 3/16 or 1/4.  If you ever want to upgrade your welder look for a reconditioned Hobart Handler.  I bought my 210 from Amazon last month for $550 free shipping and it was literally new.  I LOVE this welder  8)

I like mine too :)

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline Piston

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 09:37:09 PM »
How thick can you weld with the Hobart? 

I'd like to upgrade, someday.  ;D
-Matt

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »
Piston,concerned about your welds? Weld 2 scarp pieces together,take a big hammer and whale on the son ,well you know what I mean. If they don't come apart,you are all set.
I brought a Lincoln,uses 220. I have my on a dolly with about 50 of thick and I mean thick wire. It told me in the manual what size. Think I paid $100 for that 10 years ago. I do all my welding outside. I just unwrap what ever amount I need. I built a cabinet right on the dolly. I never finished it,but it has one draw and all my cutting wheels and grinding wheels are on a bolt on the bottom. My clamps are there and eveything I need. If someone pulled in and needed my welder all they would have to do is wheel it out and go. Everything I need is on that dolly. There is also a 110 with 2 outlets with 50 feet of wire on that too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline MotorSeven

• Share Post
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »

Ya that's my problem Ray.  I really could use a new welder with more "capacity"

Well, if that's the case let us spend some of your money for you :D 

Really, sell the smaller one, and get a 210-ish......you will never be sorry you did this. My Millermatic 210 has just been flat out awesome.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Woodmizer LT 40 bed extension

Started by dhp3228 on Sawmills and Milling

9 Replies
Last post January 30, 2016, 06:30:43 PM
by Dave Shepard
xx
Woodmizer bed extension

Started by Norwiscutter on Wanted

2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2006, 11:46:03 AM
by Norwiscutter