The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Dynamic Green Products Inc.

Author Topic: Compression  (Read 9449 times)

Offline nixon

• Share Post
Re: Compression
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 06:16:15 PM »
nixon,good luck to ya. sorry to hear of your troubles. keep on sawing!!!!!!
Thank you very much! I've got about 5 more sessions to go (6 days plugged in ) 21 days off . But things are responding nicely .
As soon as i'm free and clear , I'm getting a 395 xp that I've been after and having it ported . Seems like there will have to be some jewelry for my wife involved, but she's been a real trooper through all this.
Stihl            044 ,ms 460
Husqvarna.   346xp ,550xp, 562xp
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

Offline JohnG28

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 01:37:26 AM »
nixon,good luck to ya. sorry to hear of your troubles. keep on sawing!!!!!!
Thank you very much! I've got about 5 more sessions to go (6 days plugged in ) 21 days off . But things are responding nicely .
As soon as i'm free and clear , I'm getting a 395 xp that I've been after and having it ported . Seems like there will have to be some jewelry for my wife involved, but she's been a real trooper through all this.
Good to hear that things are going well for you, hope it continues that way. As for jewelry for the wife, or something of the sort, I too know the barter process for new toys. :D At least everyone is happy in the end. ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Offline deerslayer

• old cars, saws, trucks, tractors
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
One note regarding compression. While low compression is usually an indicator that something is wrong, high (normal) compression does not necessarily indicate all is well. I have seen a number of badly scored pistons produce compression readings in the normal range. It is a useful tool but to ensure good engine integrity it should be coupled with an actual view of the piston and cylinder. A few minutes removing the muffler will generally provide this view. If the spark plug is out as well then shining a light in  one hole allows easy viewing in the other.

I agree with the poster saying a compression reading may take a lot of pulls. I usually pull the engine through 8-10 times or until the gauge stops rising. Also, I haven't found that it makes a difference whether the throttle is open or closed. You'll wind up at the same reading either way.

One thing to also check is to ensure the compression release (if equipped) is closed and not leaking. Many heart palpitations have been caused by people thinking their engine was sick and that's all it was.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Offline nixon

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 07:43:51 PM »
Mr. Newman .
I've been sprung from the hospital ,but I'm pretty rough around the edges right now . ( not to mention pretty medicated  :). )
If You'd like, give me a call this weekend ,and you can drop by and pick up the gauge .   
All the best , John
 637-0085
Stihl            044 ,ms 460
Husqvarna.   346xp ,550xp, 562xp
                   372xp ,390xp, 395xp

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Low compression?

Started by 421Altered on Chainsaws

21 Replies
Last post November 12, 2019, 07:35:49 PM
by Al_Smith
xx
272 compression?

Started by dutchman on Chainsaws

1 Replies
Last post February 06, 2013, 11:05:07 AM
by Al_Smith