iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Day of Mourning

Started by DanG, May 04, 2004, 10:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

On this date, many, many years ago, a ship was lost in the waters of The Gulf of Mexico. It was laden with thousands of tons of mayonnaise, bound for a port in Mexico. That mayonnaise was to be the annual supply for much of that country.  As a result of that loss, millions of poor Mexican people had to endure dry sandwiches for a full year. :'(  In memory of that tragic day, the Mexican people set aside this day, each year, to remember the hardships their ancestors endured. They call it "Sink-o de Mayo."   ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ga_Boy

I never knew why I liked dry sadwiches.  8) 8)

DanG, I must be part Mexican.

Mucho grassyass, Amigo
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Stan

I like the way they mourn, mariachi bands, colorful dresses, wirling dervish dancin', lots of cerveza.  8) 8) 8)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Kevin_H.

I sat here this morning watching imus break some kind of big glass pane on his show...thinking what is the meaning of
sink o de mayo?

Well now we know :D All this and an edgeamacation too!
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

ADfields

Yup and one year latter, on the Fifth of May, after a year of dry sandwiches, they over threw the government on the way to the docks with ham, cheese and bread in hand!  ;) ;);D ;D ;D
Andy

Wes

and I thought they were celibrating my oldest sons birtday ???

oldsaw

So, I was out in Los Angeles for "SDM", so the powers that be at one of the companies we rep decided that going out for a bit of Mexican food was a good idea.  So, 40 guys converge on El Torito and they pile some stuff up so we can have a bit of a buffet.

The next morning, my stomach rebelled, and I was celebrating "Stinko De Mayo", although somewhat loosely. ;D
But I'm back in town now, and feeling better.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Thank You Sponsors!