iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are kilns Always necessary?

Started by Rod Yowell, August 27, 2013, 06:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

That is a big ugly. Looks like a bigger problem to tip it over than to cut it. Looks more like 8ft than 10 unless the guy is really tall. Regardless, a big cut. The way that thing sits, I don't think you even need a face cut. just cut halfway on the low side, halfway on the high side. Have a chain pre-hooked to the top and other end loosely to power, 2X or better the height of Mr. Stubby. Pull it over when you cut most of the holding wood. I think a 5 ft bar gets it done no problem.

No sign of rot in the branches I can see. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Kelly Palmer

I think that man is pretty tall...and yeah, 8' once you get up a ways, but right at ten down low, and then spreads out again at limbs.  Who has a Lucas that can come up and cut it up?

mesquite buckeye

If it is really 10ft, you need a bar at least that long and it has to be absolutely perfectly set too. I just don't know if Lucas makes one that big. I'll go look.

Lucas slabbing mill will cut up to 6' 4".

If you want to do this you will need another option.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

GAmillworker

Kelley,

This is Daniel I started another thread over in sawing and milling.  You may want to ask your question there and get a better response.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,69509.0.html
Thank the Lord for second chances

Kelly Palmer

How about an Alaskan setup, with a 10' bar?

mesquite buckeye

I'd say at least 10, if the bumps are as wide as you say. Probably a couple days work at least.

White Ash

Dry is dry, does not matter how it gets there, as long as there some control

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

There are certain things you can do in drying in the kiln that are not good or are good, even though the MC is the same as some other lumber.  The operator's techniques are critical.

A kiln will be faster.
A kiln will go over 133 F, thereby sanitizing the lumber (no insects alive, no viable eggs, no fungi).
A kiln can equalize, getting uniform MC, shell to core, end to end, and piece to piece.
A kiln can relieve drying stress.
A kiln can "set the pitch" by going to 160 F or hotter (give or take)
A kiln can control drying conditions to achieve the highest quality possible--checking, warp, color, etc.

A kiln can over-dry the wood leading to more warp, especially cupping, brittleness and possibly poor gluing.
A kiln can dry the wood at too high a temperature making the wood too brittle and darker in color.
A kiln can dry wet lumber too fast leading to checks.
A kiln can dry too slowly leading to staining.

Bottom line is that the final MC is not a good indicator of quality in any and all drying systems.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!