CRP Aforestation Do Over, looking for tree suggestions

Started by mesquite buckeye, September 11, 2013, 06:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: exSW on October 13, 2013, 07:32:57 PM
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on September 15, 2013, 01:34:44 PM
Quote from: GATreeGrower on September 13, 2013, 09:22:38 PM
Cypress and oak in the wet land I think

planning on some pin oak. If they get pruned young, I think they could make good lumber.
I'd pass on the Pin Oaks for lumber.I've got some beautys here I literally can not give away.

Not a problem if you use your own stuff. That allows me to use any tree I like for lumber, furniture, etc. Allows a lot of freedom at the mill. The American timber industry is so spoiled with our abundance of fine quality species that they often won't even consider secondary or uncommon species. Their loss. This allows the independents to make the discoverys and create niche markets the big mills can't or won't supply. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

Missouri is one place where the turkeys never got wiped out from unrestricted hunting. I have in the past seen flocks of 100 or more. Usually the numbers are much smaller than that, but we have a lot of them. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

SwampDonkey

Definitely worth managing for. There sure are a number of efforts to keep them around. Some places work harder than others, and some efforts are probably minimal because the habitat is ideal with very little changes in 'lifestyle' required. ;D  The big thing up here has been pheasants, but they to only survive our north when fed by people. A tall weedy field in a year of little snow helps them a lot to, but can't count on too many mild winters in the north. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

Usually the snow at the farm doesn't last more than a couple of weeks at a time before a thaw comes and melts it. Normally the turkeys can scratch through and get eats. Plenty of corn and beans on the ground nearby also. ;D

SwampDonkey

There's one farmer here that is usually leaving about 200 acres of taters and grain in the ground he can't harvest. So always something to eat I suppose. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

Called the guy from NRCS and got him out to the planting today. After seeing the hedged trees and the poverty threeawn, he started to see things my way. He will work some more on the plan and run it all by me before he submits it. Maybe this can work out after all. Let's hope. :)

mesquite buckeye

Good news. I got the areas needing replanting reduced and will get credit for live trees already present. Just put in my tree order to plant 5.1 acres. Had to get honeylocust from Kansas and black locust from Oklahoma, but I got them. Rest from MDC nursery.

Here is the tally:

Black walnut             75
Bur oak                  125
Northern red oak     125
Swamp white oak     125
Pecan                       25
red cedar : )            400
hackberry                 75
black locust             300
honey locust            100
red mulberry            100
elderberry                 75
redbud                     75
wild plum                 211

I'll post more pictures at planting time in April.

curdog

What kind of spacing are you planting them on?  We've only planted loblolly under crp and done an 8x12. I guess you'll be spacing these out a little wider. I'm going to try some plum and redbud mixed with some short leaf in my field this year., mainly just piddlin.   I haven't done much hardwood planting, but I've usually done a 12x12 . It'll be neat to see how these turn out for you.

mesquite buckeye

It will be 12 X 12 except where there are already trees growing. 300/acre.

SwampDonkey

Seems wide for hardwood. If we don't thin maple at 1000-1300 per acre they will be apple tree wood (limby).  Those are 15-25 foot tall trees. ;)

ET

What about some hybrid poplars on the barren spots?  I planted 1000 of them on an area that the original planting was wiped out by deer. My forester is impressed at their size. Its been maybe 17 years now and im getting close to a very small harvest. This species self limbs itself.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

mesquite buckeye

Poplars meaning Populus (cottonwoods and aspens) or poplars meaning tulip poplar?

We get pretty severe drought conditions in MO. Lots of stuff that is easy in Ohio is pretty sad in MO.

Our cottonwoods only really do well in wet places.

ET

I acquired them from a nursery in Minn. they are not tulip poplar but some sort of cross cottonwood or aspen. Im not knowledagble of that. These had a registry number I remember of some sort from their source. If necessary I could dig out those old records to find out. These trees are very tall with not to many lateral big branches. I know they were supposed to be good on poorer soil spoil sites etc. its get really droughty here in the summer. This year was the exception. Ive planted over 30000 trees myself and know how it feels to see your hard work wilt and die and be eaten by critters. Most of my plantings are 10-18 years old now. I now just plant acorns and walnut seeds. Much easier than seedlings. Ernie
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

mesquite buckeye

Acorns and walnuts are a good idea. Small investment and if it works, great. CRP requires seedlings though. I would like to know more about those trees if you have a link. Thanks Ernie. ;D 8) 8) 8)

ET

MB: I looked through my old files and found the source: Itasca Greenhouse, just google and it should pop up.  I could not find the invoice; I do know that when I placed my order, that I was late and could only obtain 500 of the 1000 hybrids I wanted and they substituted 500 of another variety.  The ones that were substituted all died the same time all my ash died after about 10 years; the same way, they were all worm eaten under the bark in the Cambrian layer.  The other 500 have remained very healthy and are thriving.  They do require a lot of attention when young to get established just like a corn crop.  you need to make sure no grass or weeds compete with it.  I looked on their website and they are still operating and selling a hybrid poplar; although not sure if its the same one.  You would need to call them to see.  The one I have is supposed to live 80 plus years.  Hope this helps.  Ernie

mesquite buckeye

Thanks Ernie. I'll check it out.

Haven't heard back from the chestnut people for a while.

mesquite buckeye

I'll be heading out there the last couple of days of March, be there April 1 to start planting if anybody would like to help, let me know. ;D

Said the little red hen.

SwampDonkey

Not if your going to be complaining about the heat. ;D

mesquite buckeye

I doubt it will be hot, but the mushrooms should be about perfect just then. ;D

SwampDonkey

The earlier you can get them in the better the survival, that's my moto, and it's worked for over 30 years. ;D

You pick'n or plant'n? :D

mesquite buckeye

mesquite buckeye

Picked up my trees from the MO Dept of Conservation nursery today.

Trees to plant. About 1600 with another 400 coming soon.

SwampDonkey

ET

Hey MB, get them in the ground, this hard work pays off big. Keep the grass from growing around them. Weeds arnt so bad but grass will choke them babies. If your getting help make sure they plant them at the coller, not too deep not too shallow, just right. Love to help you, now I just let the squirrels do my planting. I have oaks now going past the 30-40 ft mark. They were only 6" tall when planted 18 years ago. Most are now producing acorns, especially the white oaks, they were loaded last fall. By the way, we at two tom turkeys strutten around the new barn yesterday. First turkeys Ive seen here ever in 34 years.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 01, 2014, 05:00:10 AM
Did you corner any recruits for your mission? ;D

Sadly, my Forestry Forum buddies are all, uh, busy. :'( Good news is my walnut, cherry, red cedar etc. will last longer. ;D

Got some nieces and nephews coming out though. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!