iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mcculloch pm-605 clutch removal?

Started by daveferner, September 16, 2013, 09:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveferner

Hi, newbie chainsawyer here.    Im tryin to clean my Mcculloch PM 605 and would like to remove the clutch.  How do you do it?  I see that the nut screws off in a righty loosy fashion.   And is this even a good idea or necesary for cleaning purposes?   Thanks.

Al_Smith

Pull the spark plug out and jamb a piece of starter  rope in the cylinder to block the piston .Left hand tread on the nut .

Most of the PM 605-610-650  came with a rim sprocket drive system but I suppose due to the age you could find anything .

Now a tip FWIW .This series of saws have a tendency to pack chips on the underside of the cylinder which is a good place to be extra attentive in your cleaning chores .

daveferner

Well that worked great to get the nut off, but how does the rest come off?   I tried wrenching on it while the rope was jamin the piston but i couldnt get a good grip on it.  Does it pry off?  Im a bit nervous to experiment too much..  I had hoped youtube would be more helpfull but it all seemed to be about cleaning carburators and sharpening..

Al_Smith

The actual clutch is on a tapered shaft .You should be able to just rap it with a hammer to knock it loose .Lightly now not like driving a railroad spike .

daveferner

That did the trick!   Theres alot of oily wood back in there.  Im guessing that the clutch gets tapped back in?  Much obliged!

Al_Smith

Don't pound it back on just tighten up the nut .

Thank You Sponsors!