iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blue-blade society wows and frustrations

Started by GDinMaine, October 18, 2013, 01:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

I can't be sure, but looks like a couple of blue spots in the second log, possibly indicating metal. Do you think maybe you might have hit a nail or something in the first log?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

JustinW_NZ

That second log with the clear single check running down it basically shows you where the stress is trying to pull the log apart.

If you line up and cut through the line you will start taking the stress out, the off centre pith is a sure sign it was a leaning tree?
Notice how the check is running nearish to parallel to the tension and compression side of the log?

I've had some real shockers like this is small logs and all you can do is center the log up and rip them in half, and just hope you get to the come apart without wreaking anything  :D
Once you can get them into smaller pieces they will behave more.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

petefrom bearswamp

This is why I love this forum.
A problem is presented, then lots of folks chime in with opinions and possible solutions voilla presently the problem is solved.
( I have only sawed 2 Red oak logs)
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dave Shepard

It looks like both logs had off center pith, which means they were probably growing out of the side of a hill. That's where the stress is coming from. Saw a nice clear pine butt log to restore your confidence.  :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

The growth rings in the top portion of the top log are horizontal and some even tending upward.   :-\  Yes, you should have encountered some serious stress in that log. 

All indicators to me (the pith being fairly equal from each side of the cant, and closer to the bottom) show that you observed the log's sweep and opened the log correctly.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GDinMaine

Quote from: JustinW_NZ on October 22, 2013, 06:42:12 PM
If you line up and cut through the line you will start taking the stress out .... .... ... center the log up and rip them in half, and just hope you get to the come apart without wreaking anything  :D
Once you can get them into smaller pieces they will behave more.

Cheers
Justin
Interesting.  I was in fact doing the opposite.  I sawed parallel with the crack to keep it in as few boards as possible. Next time I will try the other way.  I did manage to box the pith on both ends.

Quote from: Magicman on October 22, 2013, 10:46:29 PM
The growth rings in the top portion of the top log are horizontal and some even tending upward.   :-\  Yes, you should have encountered some serious stress in that log. 

Do you mean where it looks like a wave with sections of the growth rings slightly curling upward?  I'm now looking at the pictures and see it present in both logs.  Interesting detail and a second visible sign of tension. 

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 22, 2013, 07:57:10 PM
Saw a nice clear pine butt log to restore your confidence.  :)
I had to cut some cedar yesterday.  It was nice to realize I still know how to run the saw.

Thanks to all who helped with suggestions.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

thecfarm

You know how to saw. The growing the tree part you are having a hard time with.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

5quarter

Definitely a problem tree. I wonder if, as the wood was relieving stress, it wasn't trying to pinch your blade. it would not take much friction on the blade body to heat the blade just enough to lose tension in the cut. That would result in a diving blade. I had a Hickory pinch my blade about 2' into the first cut. grabbed it so tight it stopped the blade and stalled the engine. I had to hammer a pry bar into the kerf at the log end to get the blade out. I turned the log 90° and sawed it to the deck without any more trouble. That first cut had started to dive before it seized up the saw. Perhaps that tension/compression in your log is the source of the trouble. just thinking out loud.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!