iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

So how many are familiar with the proper method of felling Black Walnut timber ?

Started by RayMO, October 20, 2013, 09:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBK

In 1981 we sold walnut off the farm to a broker representing a Swiss and a German Buyer. The Swiss wanted the boles and the German wanted the butts and the first 8'. We were required to dig 24" to 28" below the ground level before we made a cut at 18"± under the ground and were asked not to make a large wedge if at all posible. All the trees were felled with plunge cuts and wedges. Very slow and careful work to say the least.

We sold 125 trees overall and it paid the motrgage off completly and we had enough left over to buy a new tractor (IH 1086). I would love to hit that market one mor time before I die.
I love Farming, Logging, Sawmilling, Fishing, and Hunting.

Nemologger

What it boils down to, regardless of the method you use to fell it.  if you bust or pull the tree and ruin a high dollar veneer walnut log you need to go back to your job of setting pins in a bowling alley or working in a convience store.
I have seen several guys that tried to cut walnut and couldn't, always blaming the saw, the wind or bring up the "only safe way" card, If you cant do the job find someone who can.
Clean and Sober

CCC4

RayMo, I haven't forgot the pics, I got moved off my big tract to finish up a clear cut where another crew was fired before completion. Should be back at my other block in a week maybe?? I can't tell how much timber is still here just yet.

Nemologger

I spured out a whitoak today and took a picture for some of you guys to see but I cant post the picture
Clean and Sober

Nemologger

I give up...if anyone wants to see it I guess you will have to look at my gallery....sorry
Clean and Sober

thecfarm

Is this it?

You did the hard part. This is what you was missing,I think,

I like to go to whatever post or start a new topic first to include a picture.Go to your gallery,it will open in a new window.Click onto your album,then click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In Post,click onto that,click Yes and that is it. Some have to copy/paste the link to work.I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from what I am typing. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture. Somewheres I think it says to add 10,000 to your user number or something like that to make a clickable icon to your gallery under your user name. Use the preview button to see how it looks and modify it if needed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nemologger

Clean and Sober

CCC4

Yep that's it! And a nice one at that. Thanks for posting! So how did you pop your last two tabs w/o pinching..or do you pop the two in the intended direction of the fall and then the back last? Crazy looking to me...and I have witnessed them before. LOL!

Nemologger

sit her down on the front then cut the back spurs. If the tree is real straight its a good idea to start a wedge or else she may balance. This is the only method I use when I cut a high dollar walnut
Clean and Sober

Nemologger

Clean and Sober

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

treeslayer2003

what is it? looks a bit like tulip poplar but idk if you got them there.
what loader is that? the grapple looks like mine.

Nemologger

Clean and Sober

treeslayer2003

ours look much darker. or maybe it's the sun shining on it. it is a long one.

CX3

John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!