iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Day in the Swamp

Started by Fla._Deadheader, May 20, 2004, 01:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

We awoke on Tuesday morning, to find a stuffy atmosphere of humidity and heat, already making for a hot day of logging.

After a quick breakfast of Cinnamon roll and coffee, we packed a light lunch and headed to the "Swamp Rat". It was 6:55 AM. We proceeded to the truck, parked on the mainland, and loaded the chainsaw, ropes and extra fuel cans. We shoved off and proceeded downstream, north, to the Oklawaha River, where we would start the day looking for floating or submerged logs.

We decided to go up a tributary, Bear Creek, and see if the low water level had exposed any logs that we had missed on previous trips. As we motored slowly up stream, the warmness of the day gave way to the coolness of the swamp. The towering trees, with their carpets of flowing Spanish Moss, was making a shady canopy that retained the coolness of the water that makes the swamp a very nice place to be.

We eased by a patch of weeds that is home to a very large Momma Gator. That is one place NOT to go, although, there will probably be a nice log hidded beneath the soggy mass.

There is a trail right in the center of the picture. To the lower left is debris that has been raked loose, to be taken to the nest. This is definitely NOT a good time to poke around.

We kept idling along, and Ed's keen eye spotted a "floater". Can you see it in the picture???

It's there, really. ;D ;D  Look at this picture.

We stopped and inspected this log. We jerked it loose, and left it among the Lily Pads, to be picked up upon returning downstream.

We headed upstream again, and saw this one hiding in the brush.

We had spotted this one in the past, and swung in again for a better look.

The picture came out fuzzy ??? The log is about 20" Dia. and 20+ feet long. The Swamp Rat is terribly underpowered for the task of jerking logs loose from the brush, so, we had to leave this one once again.

We headed upstream once again. There was a slight breeze on the water and we could hear 2 Ospreys chirping at us, that we were in their territory. We slid around a pretty major blockage of fallen trees and other debris that was caught up in the tangled mess. Once again, Ed's young eyes caught the image of a log just under the surface. We eased in for a look.

Sometimes, the submerged logs are solid, not pecky, and will sink. We tied a ribbon on a nearby branch and set about our journey.

Not far from the last sighting, we saw a log protruding from the bank. We slid up to it and decided this was a "Keeper".

The boat was positioned amongst the brush and Ed crawled out and looked the log over carefully. We had to clip 1 root from some Poison Sumac that was holding it in place. After Ed cut the root, the rope was fastened around the end of the log, and I tried to jerk the log loose. The "Swamp Rat" had little effect on this log. Ed used the cant hook and tried to roll the log, while I made repeated attempt to move it. After several tries, I re-positioned the boat at a very acute angle and gave the boat FULL AHEAD. Ed stood clear. The rope could break and cause a nasty welt, at the least.

The log moved and we knew we would win the tug-o-war. When it finally slid into the water, I had to head it off. It was headed for the floating mass of debris. We tied it up to the side of the boat and decided we would head for camp. It was now, 9:30 in the morning.

We went back downstream and tied the log that was left in the Lily Pads, and headed for camp. Suddenly, Ed spies one we had missed. ::) It was a long thin floater with several holes through it and 2 inspection holes chopped into it.  I swung the Swamp Rat around, after several "K" style turns, and headed into the maze of debris, so Ed could rope the log. The Swamp Rat would not budge it, in reverse. Swinging the boat around, once more, we tied to the stern and "Full Bore" made the difference. The log came free. Ed tied it up close, just off the Port hip of the boat and we were heading to camp once again. Around the next bend laid one of the larger Gators we had seen in our 3 years of water logging. The camera was in it's case and we got no picture.

As we made open water, on the St. John's, we decided that 11:30 was a good time to have lunch. It is a very boring push to get the logs to the camp.

All was well as we left the cool confines of the Swamp, and we noticed a pair of Bald Eagles soaring on the wind currents high above us. It had been a rewarding trip.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

WOW!!!
I gotta say I really love these stories, keep on telling them to us!  8) 8) 8)

old3dogg

FL.
Are you guys hiring!
What a way to make a living.Do you have any idea how lucky you are.
That would be the life!
Thanks for sharing.
Mike.

Tom

Good story, Harold and Ed.   I like the pictures too.   8)

Fla._Deadheader

Old3DoG, yeah, we are sooo lucky, we just went in debt deeper, for the newer truck.  ::) ::) ::)

It DOES hold $2300.00 worth of Pecky, though. :o 8) ;D ;D
  More, if it's dry. :D :D :D  We had the rear flaps dragging on the pavement coming home. :o :o ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

DanG Harold!!   Don't break your "NEW" truck. :D

EZ

Yes, I too really enjoy your adventures and the pictures. Many a men would pay thousands of dollars to be able to do this. You guys are really lucky fellows.
Thanks FD and your son.
EZ

Tom

See there Harold?   Here you are trying to sell wood and you could get thousands for a boat ride. :D

Furby

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Now THERE'S a thought!!!  :D :D :D

Fla._Deadheader

I would just rather have someone buy us out, then we could BUY the logs and just do the sawing. ;D ;D

Boat rides are easy, but, so far, no one has shown up. Maybe free rides are too cheap. Guess we will start charging from now on ::) ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Norm

Thank you for the story Harold and Ed. I sure enjoy the trips into the swamp with you guys, even if it is sitting at my computer in Iowa. :)

DanG

Great job of logging and writing, Harold. You made me feel like I was there!  Guess I'd better get back over there for one of them free rides, before the price goes up, eh? :D ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

etat

I'm thinking get some producers interested and make a documentary and sell it to TV.  I know I'd watch it!!!!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Fla._Deadheader

If we had 1 more helper, we would make our own video. Being as how we are already movie stars, we know, first hand, that the video guys are the ones that make the $$$$.

We HAVE seriously considered doing it. Have the contact info of the guys in Orlando that did the Treasure Hunting show with us.

Logs just laying around won't last long. We will have to get into the water before too much longer.

DanG, one full day on the river will make the trip back well worth it.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

deadheader, ya best get all those logs cleaned up before the show since it will create all kinds of competition. Once ya got all the logs cleaned out, justgo back and seed some for da t.v.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Yup, had that already figgered. Course, that would be a good way to sell the logging part. ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Pete J

Maybe the discovery channel can do a new series about you called "American Logger".

Skipper: "Do you do anything around here?"
Gilligan; "I do everything around here!"
Skipper; "Well how come you don't have all those logs fetched yet?"
Gilligan; "I've been busy sawing logs for our customer that has to be completed tommorow.
Skipper: "I've got a size 12 for ya if you don't get your butt in gear........"

You'd make millions off the t-shirt sales alone!

DanG

LogRite, don't be telling Harold, the treasure hunter, about the million$ to be made in t-shirts! :o  He'll be out of logging and into the t-shirt business before you can blink yer eye! ::) ;D :D :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

OneWithWood

Thanks for the story and pics.  
Have you thought about dropping anchor and using a winch to free some of those logs?  Or tying off to a nearby tree and using a winch?  
Probably silly questions 'casue I know you guys are a thoughtful team.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Fla._Deadheader

:o :o :o American Logger, eh ??? :-/ :-/ THAT sounds like a can do sort of thing. Wonder who we can get to sponsor the show ??? This might take some real thinkin. ;) ;) Let'see, we use Stihl Chainsaws, Yamama Outboards, Warn Winches, Dodge Truck, Hmmm, what else ???  Universal Studios is just down the road, in Orlando. Hmmmmmmm ;D ;D

OWW, where ya been, son??? Haven't ya ever seen the pics of the Logging Barge, with the 15000 pound Warn Winch mounted on the sliding carriage ???  That's how we DO get the logs loose, sometimes ::) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

OneWithWood

It's a short-term memory thing  :D :D
One With Wood

etat

I can't believe you're still letting that one little ole log that's sorta stuck in the mud just stay there!!!! :D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Fla._Deadheader

Shoot, CK. I thought ya might have some inside info for the new TV show, American Logger  ??? :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

OneWithWood

Oh, almost forgot.  How far down the road from Orlando?  The missus and I are going to be in Orlando the end of October.  We are driving down.  Sure would like to hook up with you if that is possible.  Hopefully we will be able to work a couple of days in on the return trip to pass through J-ville and Tallahassee.  Would love to visit with Tom and DanG if we can work it out.  Nothing fancy just a leisure visit to say hi, maybe over a cup of coffee, tea or sodas.
One With Wood

Fla._Deadheader

We are North of Orlando, about 40 miles or so. Might be a empty camper to house ya overnight. Maybe we could swing another "Swamp Get-together", and have several FF folks drop by again. That was fun. Keep in touch with yer plans. ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!